What to Charge?

  • mrshortcutz
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2013
      HI all,

      It is me again, with yet another question. (I promise to pestering you guys so much after this one) ;P

      As I have mentioned in other posts, I have been getting some freelance work coming in and I wanted to hear your opinions on what would be appropriate for me to charge for a standard 28mm figure.

      After some mining of the internet, I have found that fees for a single 28mm miniature range from £70-350.

      I enjoy sculpting and am willing to work for relatively low pay but at the same time I do not want to undersell myself.
      Would you advise me to work at fee which is at least minimum wage?

      As I am still fairly new to the professional scene, I am considering that it may be best for me to sculpt my own figures for casting as opposed to sculpting for others.

      The examples on my blog will give you an idea of my sculpting level.
      http://guskearnsminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/

      Let me know your thoughts. :P

      Thanks,
      Gus
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11, 2013
        Hi, One thing to bear in mind when pricing is that a low price devalues your work and the work of others. You need to charge at the very least minimum wage in your area. But obviously on the other side of that there is no point charging a price which customers are not willing to pay.
        Obviously the top range of the price you quoted are for "named" sculptors whose reputation increases the value of their work.
        From your link I can see your work is to a good standard. I would start somewhere in the £100-£150 range and see where that goes.
        I would suggest seek commission work rather than sculpting your own range - as that has many cost implications such as mouldmaking etc.
        Just my 2p worth. I'm not a sculptor but I am a miniature producer (vehicles).
        Tim
        www.gomidesigns.co.uk

        --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "mrshortcutz" <suggus.tds@...> wrote:

        > HI all,
        >

        > It is me again, with yet another question. (I promise to pestering you guys so much after this one) ;P

      • Dave Fredericks
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 11, 2013
          Hey there. My work these days is almost always commission based because
          I charge very low prices. I do also have a few of my own minis for sale
          but as has already been mentioned the profit in that is quite minimal.
          As I've only really being doing commissions for a couple of years I had
          to undercut the market to get the work. I initially charged 65GBP for a
          28mm figure. I have since upped that price to 75, which is still way
          below industry standard. But it does ensure that I'm kept very busy. I
          have a full time job so only do this part time for a bit of pocket money.

          Dave
          WWW.majesticbear.net

          Sent with AquaMail for Android
          http://www.aqua-mail.com

          On March 11, 2013 11:52:03 AM "Tim" <tj.parnell@...> wrote:
          > Hi, One thing to bear in mind when pricing is that a low price devalues
          > your work and the work of others. You need to charge at the very least
          > minimum wage in your area. But obviously on the other side of that
          > there is no point charging a price which customers are not willing to pay.
          > Obviously the top range of the price you quoted are for "named"
          > sculptors whose reputation increases the value of their work.
          > From your link I can see your work is to a good standard. I would start
          > somewhere in the £100-£150 range and see where that goes.
          > I would suggest seek commission work rather than sculpting your own
          > range - as that has many cost implications such as mouldmaking etc.
          > Just my 2p worth. I'm not a sculptor but I am a miniature producer (vehicles).
          > Tim
          > www.gomidesigns.co.uk
          >
          > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "mrshortcutz" <suggus.tds@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > HI all,
          > >

          > > It is me again, with yet another question. (I promise to pestering
          > you guys so much after this one) ;P

        • abdiel_dks
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 12, 2013
            Gus,

            For sculptors in the US, $10 per mm of height is a place to start. Charge less if you don't get any clients at that rate. Charge more if you get more work than you can handle.

            If you don't already do so, I suggest keeping a timesheet for each figure that you sculpt. When you know how long it takes you to sculpt a figure, you can multiply that by the minimum wage and determine a price. I saw Sandra Garrity's stack of timesheets at ReaperCon several years ago and I copied her practice. I've made a simple Excel spreadsheet that prints two to a letter-size sheet, and uploaded it to the Files folder:
            Timesheet-figures-blank_NeedsYourName.xls
            Anyone is welcome to customize this file for his/her own use.

            You will become faster with experience. I started sculpting several years ago, and my early 28mm figures took about 40 hours each, but now they take considerably less time. And you may be more efficient if you sculpt 2 or more figures at once, as you can mix some putty and apply it to different parts of the two figures.

            Good luck!
            Derek Schubert

            --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Dave Fredericks <ukfreddybear@...> wrote:

            > Hey there. My work these days is almost always commission based because
            > I charge very low prices. I do also have a few of my own minis for sale
            > but as has already been mentioned the profit in that is quite minimal.
            > As I've only really being doing commissions for a couple of years I had
            > to undercut the market to get the work. I initially charged 65GBP for a
            > 28mm figure. I have since upped that price to 75, which is still way
            > below industry standard. But it does ensure that I'm kept very busy. I
            > have a full time job so only do this part time for a bit of pocket money.
            >
            > Dave
            > WWW.majesticbear.net
            >

            > Sent with AquaMail for Android
            > http://www.aqua-mail.com
            >

            > On March 11, 2013 11:52:03 AM "Tim" <tj.parnell@...> wrote:
            > > Hi, One thing to bear in mind when pricing is that a low price devalues
            > > your work and the work of others. You need to charge at the very least
            > > minimum wage in your area. But obviously on the other side of that
            > > there is no point charging a price which customers are not willing to pay.
            > > Obviously the top range of the price you quoted are for "named"
            > > sculptors whose reputation increases the value of their work.
            > > From your link I can see your work is to a good standard. I would start
            > > somewhere in the £100-£150 range and see where that goes.
            > > I would suggest seek commission work rather than sculpting your own
            > > range - as that has many cost implications such as mouldmaking etc.
            > > Just my 2p worth. I'm not a sculptor but I am a miniature producer (vehicles).
            > > Tim
            > > www.gomidesigns.co.uk
          • poshgoblin
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 12, 2013
              Pricing is one of the most difficult things to work out. I started working at the standard (for them) freelance rate for a large company, and it was barely worthwhile for me to do. The experience was invaluable, however, and the advice and criticism I received helped to develop my work.

              Different companies will offer differing rates, and if you are trying to make it workable as a wage you have to be mindful of what you are getting paid per hour! Pricing your work too low might make you more desirable in some ways, but can soon grind away at your feeling of self worth if you are scraping by. Similarly, you might well agree a commission for a client priced too high, you might well receive a thanks for the good work, but you can bet that you won't get re-hired by that individual if the work is substandard.

              Working for individuals helped me to gauge what real market rates were and work out realistic prices, and to budget time. It also helps to ask clients what they have paid other sculptors. The reputation, skill and style of that sculptor has to be taken into consideration, but it will give you a rough idea of what you should be pitching at - but be realistic! There is a reason they can charge what they do, and it is after honing their craft over a long time, and going through exactly the same process you are.

              Tim and Derek are both spot on - and the time sheet is essential (and something I should be much better at doing)

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 13, 2013
                Hey all,
                Thanks for taking the time to give me such in-depth answers.

                I've taken Tim's advise and set my fee around the £120 mark which may vary depending on complexity of the model. From here I can start to build my work up and develop a name for myself. I will try to work with individuals to begin with. This will give me more varied work and in the long run allow me to gage the market more accurately.

                Thanks for the timesheet Derek! I'll definitely put it to good use with my next commissions.

                All the best guys, I don't feel as "in the dark" as I was when I began this thread.

                Gus

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 14, 2013
                  Hope it works out for you. Like I said, I'm not a sculptor - though maybe one day.....
                  The timesheet idea is totally genius.
                  Tim

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 14, 2013
                    good luck with that - don't forget to build up an easily accessible portfoilo as you progress - a blog might be fine, but if it is not well structured no one will want to trawl through all the posts.