Re: how to make metal molds?

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013
      In all seriousness. DO you have an extra $4000 to $6000 laying around. That is just the ballpark cost for the spincaster and vulcanizer, used. This does not include the cost of the metal rings for making the rubber molds, molding rubber, melting pot, metal, other tools, talc, lock nuts, heat resistant gloves and anything else.

      It all depends on what you mean by small scale. Are you doing this for yourself or for small commission runs.

      If you are doing this yourself you may try something like pressure casting resin. I did a video series on my YT channel about the process.
      It starts here;
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSNT2myQz8

      Then continues on with "Starting to Cut."

      If this all seems like too much you can contact Troll Forged Minis where we do provide molding and casting services for small independent sculptors.

      --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "lu_17225" wrote:

      > What is the process of producing metal molds and is it a viable option for small scale prodution of minitures. Would it be cheaper to gett the necessary materials and equipment if multiple molds are to be made or would it be cheaper to have another party produce the molds.

    • Evyn MacDude
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013
        On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM, lu_17225 <lu_17225@...> wrote:

        > What is the process of producing metal molds and is it a viable option for
        > small scale prodution of minitures. Would it be cheaper to gett the
        > necessary materials and equipment if multiple molds are to be made or would
        > it be cheaper to have another party produce the molds.

        Yes....

        Or

        It depends, what is your budget Drop Casting can be very cheap, with the
        major cost being your mold material. Spin Casting the start-up is a couple
        of thousand dollars or so, depending on how handy you are.

        Or

        The last if you basically want a your own line of figures I would price out
        the various casters, they can be very reasonable.

        --
        Evyn

      • lu_17225
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013
          I'm trying to start my own miniatures business so it wouldnt be producing for self gratification, I have a laser cutter and am in the works of getting a 3d printer for making cost effective terrain. My idea is to produce an affordable product. I m able to drop 4k-5k in getting my small company going thanks to the VA loans I have been granted. What I'm taking away from this is that all in all it would be cheaper for me to have a third party produce the necessary moulds.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013
            Thank you for the link I will be sure to watch them