Re: How do you make green/grey putty so smooth

  • hamiltoncamp2
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 27, 2012
      I'm no expert and haven't tried petroleum jelly yet but I do find a lot of saliva (a bit gross I know) smoothed on with a rounded colour shaper works ok for me.
    • CLIFFORD LINTON
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 28, 2012
        I find that petroleum jelly helps, but it's not necessary. If I'm trying to get a particular area very smooth, I may keep going over it again and again as it cures, the stiffer it gets, the smoother you can get it. Of course there is a certain point where you won't be able to work it anymore. Two very important things if not using jelly (which I usually do not use) is that you maintain a light touch with your tools, and that you make sure that the tools  are absolutely clean. Smooth clean tools are critical to a smooth finish.
        Cliff