Re: [1listSculpting] Super Sculpey or NSP clay?

  • Evyn MacDude
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
      On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 4:24 AM, <sicon@...> wrote:

      > Hello! I am starting to sculpt in a bigger scale and I'd like to know your
      > opinion about the medium to use. Super Sculpey seems a good choice due to
      > the baking, but I see many many examples using the NSP clay like the
      > Chavant one. I know, the NSP is good for making silicone molds, but an
      > hardned SS should be the same, so:
      >
      > 1) Why or when using it instead of SS?

      Use where you are doing a lot of reworking of the model. It is a variation
      of a classic sculptural material. It also tends to be cheaper than Sculpy
      in the long run as it generally reusable once your master mold has been
      made.

      > 2) Could the NSP be used to just make a figure and paint it? In other
      > words, how can be hardned to last longer?

      Yes and no paint can stabilize it somewhat, and as long as you keep it with
      it's stability environmental envelope.

      Note NSP is also generally castable so if you make a master "blank" that
      you would like to base lots of simular works off of. You make a silicon
      mold of it, then cast with NSP. Almost all Plasticine type clays can be
      softened to liquid state, I use a adjustable slow cooker I got at a thrift
      store (actually I got two of the same model at the same time the other I
      use for Casting wax, it was less that $15 for the pair).
      --
      Evyn