Arm Length

  • tuudawgs
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2012
      Hi,

      I am getting head, body and legs fairly well proportioned but am still getting the arms too long most of the time. Anyone have a simlpe measurement that is related to "head size". When I bend the arm down next to the body at 10mm to gage the right length there is too much/little (?) room for error.

      Thanks for any help.

      Jim
    • abdiel_dks
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2012
        The fingertip-to-fingertip "wingspan" should be about the same as the figure's height. Subtract the lengths of the fingers to get the distance from knuckle-to-knuckle.
        For me, my two middle fingers add up to around 20cm, which is 1/9 of my height (1.8m), or slightly less than one head-height less than my total height.
        If a figure is holding an object or is making a fist, then the wire in the arms doesn't go beyond the first knuckle. The wire should even be a little shorter, to allow for a layer of putty over the end of the wire.
        Most miniatures have the hands and heads exaggerated, so I would suggest deducting one full head (whether that's 1/5, 1/6, or up to a more realistic 1/8) from the figure's height to get the length of the arm-wire if the wire is not supporting the fingers.
        At 10mm scale, that means making the wire 8/9 (8.8mm) to 5/6 (8.3mm) the height of the figure. Call it 8mm or even 7mm and you should be fine.

        Sculpting at 30mm scale, I have often had this trouble too.
        I would cut a length of wire from the spool at the full 30mm length (= height of the figure), just in case the figure would later have fully extended fingers on either or both hands.
        But then I wouldn't cut off enough at the end of the wire as I was sculpting the arms, so they would turn out a little long.
        I'm getting better at planning for that... ;^)

        Hope this helps.
        Derek

        --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "tuudawgs" <tuudawgs@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am getting head, body and legs fairly well proportioned but am still getting the arms too long most of the time. Anyone have a simple measurement that is related to "head size". When I bend the arm down next to the body at 10mm to gage the right length there is too much/little (?) room for error.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
        >
        > Jim
      • tuudawgs
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2012
          Thank you both :-). That helped a lot. Sounds like what I need to do is put the arms strait out and measure that way rather than down to the side. I'll give it a try.

          Jim