NaMinSculpMo?

  • Jeff LaMarche
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
      Greetings 1ListSculptors.

      Some of you have probably heard of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), which encourages people to write a 50k word (or longer) novel during the month of November. http://www.nanowrimo.org/

      A few years after that started, somebody started NaNoDrawMo, which doesn't really stand for anything, it's just a riff on NaNoWriMo, but it's where you commit to doing at least one drawing each day duringf the month of November. http://NaNoDrawMo.org

      This year, I noticed NaGa DeMon, the National Game Design Month, where you commit to designing, creating, and playing a game during the month: http://perilplanet.com/2010/10/30/naga-demon/

      The nice thing about these things is, they all have relatively few rules and they're not competitions. They're about getting people motivated to do something they've been thinking about doing but haven't actually made the time to do. You "win" simply by completing the challenge - writing a novel, drawing every day, or designing a game - and the award is the feeling of accomplishment that comes from completing the challenge.

      So, seeing as how 1ListSculpting has been… well… kind of dead lately, I thought maybe we should start a NaMinSculptMo (National Miniature Sculpting Month, though I'm open to a cooler fake acronym if somebody can think of one). Obviously, creating a miniature every day isn't practical, but I think designing and sculpting a single finished sculpt during the month should be reasonable for even the most casual of us (and I'm about as casual as you can get at this). I, for one, would love to see some new greens being posted around here; It's been far too quiet.

      Even if y'all don't join in, I'm using this made up national month as an excuse to pick up the putty and create something for the first time in a while. Chances are, yours will be better than mine, so why not join me? Since we're getting a little late of a start, we could extend it into the first week of December if that would help anyone. Hell, we could make this a rolling Mini-a-Month kind of thing.

      Any thoughts?

      Cheers!
      Jeff
    • a h schmidt
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
        I think that this is a fantastic idea! I will participate. Where would we
        post pics, or links to pics? In this email?

        --Aaron

        On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Jeff LaMarche <jeff_lamarche@...> wrote:

        > Greetings 1ListSculptors.
        >
        > Some of you have probably heard of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing
        > Month), which encourages people to write a 50k word (or longer) novel
        > during the month of November. http://www.nanowrimo.org/
        >
        > A few years after that started, somebody started NaNoDrawMo, which doesn't
        > really stand for anything, it's just a riff on NaNoWriMo, but it's where
        > you commit to doing at least one drawing each day duringf the month of
        > November. http://NaNoDrawMo.org
        >
        > This year, I noticed NaGa DeMon, the National Game Design Month, where you
        > commit to designing, creating, and playing a game during the month:
        > http://perilplanet.com/2010/10/30/naga-demon/
        >
        > The nice thing about these things is, they all have relatively few rules
        > and they're not competitions. They're about getting people motivated to do
        > something they've been thinking about doing but haven't actually made the
        > time to do. You "win" simply by completing the challenge - writing a
        > novel, drawing every day, or designing a game - and the award is the
        > feeling of accomplishment that comes from completing the challenge.
        >
        > So, seeing as how 1ListSculpting has been� well� kind of dead lately, I
        > thought maybe we should start a NaMinSculptMo (National Miniature Sculpting
        > Month, though I'm open to a cooler fake acronym if somebody can think of
        > one). Obviously, creating a miniature every day isn't practical, but I
        > think designing and sculpting a single finished sculpt during the month
        > should be reasonable for even the most casual of us (and I'm about as
        > casual as you can get at this). I, for one, would love to see some new
        > greens being posted around here; It's been far too quiet.
        >
        > Even if y'all don't join in, I'm using this made up national month as an
        > excuse to pick up the putty and create something for the first time in a
        > while. Chances are, yours will be better than mine, so why not join me?
        > Since we're getting a little late of a start, we could extend it into the
        > first week of December if that would help anyone. Hell, we could make this
        > a rolling Mini-a-Month kind of thing.
        >
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Cheers!
        > Jeff

      • Jeff LaMarche
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
          On Nov 2, 2011, at 9:55 PM, a h schmidt wrote:

          > I think that this is a fantastic idea! I will participate. Where would we
          > post pics, or links to pics? In this email?

          Well, we could ask the mods if we could use the Photo section the way VIPs used to. If not, we'd probably have to just use external hosting like ImageShack or Flickr and then post the picture URLs here.

          If there's enough interest, I'd be willing to buy a domain and host progress reports and pictures on a dedicated website. Let's see how many people respond to the idea...
        • a h schmidt
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
            Right on!

            --Aaron

            On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Jeff LaMarche <jeff_lamarche@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > On Nov 2, 2011, at 9:55 PM, a h schmidt wrote:
            >
            > > I think that this is a fantastic idea! I will participate. Where would we
            > > post pics, or links to pics? In this email?
            >
            > Well, we could ask the mods if we could use the Photo section the way VIPs
            > used to. If not, we'd probably have to just use external hosting like
            > ImageShack or Flickr and then post the picture URLs here.
            >
            > If there's enough interest, I'd be willing to buy a domain and host
            > progress reports and pictures on a dedicated website. Let's see how many
            > people respond to the idea...

          • general_cato_orcslayer
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
              Sounds like a good enough motivation as any. Of course, I'm likely to not get anything done... I've been working part-time with a special effects artist (current project is a series of puppets) and that has been consuming my free time lately.

              --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Jeff LaMarche <jeff_lamarche@...> wrote:

              > Greetings 1ListSculptors.
              >
              > Some of you have probably heard of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), which encourages people to write a 50k word (or longer) novel during the month of November. http://www.nanowrimo.org/
              >
              > A few years after that started, somebody started NaNoDrawMo, which doesn't really stand for anything, it's just a riff on NaNoWriMo, but it's where you commit to doing at least one drawing each day duringf the month of November. http://NaNoDrawMo.org
              >
              > This year, I noticed NaGa DeMon, the National Game Design Month, where you commit to designing, creating, and playing a game during the month: http://perilplanet.com/2010/10/30/naga-demon/
              >
              > The nice thing about these things is, they all have relatively few rules and they're not competitions. They're about getting people motivated to do something they've been thinking about doing but haven't actually made the time to do. You "win" simply by completing the challenge - writing a novel, drawing every day, or designing a game - and the award is the feeling of accomplishment that comes from completing the challenge.
              >
              > So, seeing as how 1ListSculpting has been… well… kind of dead lately, I thought maybe we should start a NaMinSculptMo (National Miniature Sculpting Month, though I'm open to a cooler fake acronym if somebody can think of one). Obviously, creating a miniature every day isn't practical, but I think designing and sculpting a single finished sculpt during the month should be reasonable for even the most casual of us (and I'm about as casual as you can get at this). I, for one, would love to see some new greens being posted around here; It's been far too quiet.
              >
              > Even if y'all don't join in, I'm using this made up national month as an excuse to pick up the putty and create something for the first time in a while. Chances are, yours will be better than mine, so why not join me? Since we're getting a little late of a start, we could extend it into the first week of December if that would help anyone. Hell, we could make this a rolling Mini-a-Month kind of thing.
              >
              > Any thoughts?
              >
              > Cheers!
              > Jeff

            • Jeff LaMarche
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
                On Nov 2, 2011, at 11:18 PM, general_cato_orcslayer wrote:

                > Sounds like a good enough motivation as any. Of course, I'm likely to not get anything done... I've been working part-time with a special effects artist (current project is a series of puppets) and that has been consuming my free time lately.

                Hey, that sounds fun and creative at least! I'm struggling to find three or four hours a week to sculpt these days, myself.

                We certainly don't have to make the month a hard deadline, either. I just thought it would be good to give people some motivation to sculpt and post pictrues… well, to give myself some motivation, to be honest :)
              • grant reid
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2011
                  I'm definately up for this and in total agreement with Jeff, it has been far too quiet. I had to double check to see if the 1list sculpting group had shut down.

                  The idea of no or few rules and that its not a competition is very appealing as I can sculpt something that will hold my interest.

                  I'll post up a concept drawing in the next few days of what I "hope" to make and hopefully there will be many others joining in.

                  cheers

                  Grant

                  >________________________________

                • Iron Rook
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 3, 2011
                    Perhaps you could just sculpt for an hour each day for a month and show your progress. That way there is no pressure to finish a figure by any deadline but just to sculpt for an hour each day.

                    On Nov 2, 2011, at 7:32 PM, Jeff LaMarche wrote:

                    > Greetings 1ListSculptors.
                    >
                    > Some of you have probably heard of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), which encourages people to write a 50k word (or longer) novel during the month of November. http://www.nanowrimo.org/
                    >
                    > A few years after that started, somebody started NaNoDrawMo, which doesn't really stand for anything, it's just a riff on NaNoWriMo, but it's where you commit to doing at least one drawing each day duringf the month of November. http://NaNoDrawMo.org
                    >
                    > This year, I noticed NaGa DeMon, the National Game Design Month, where you commit to designing, creating, and playing a game during the month: http://perilplanet.com/2010/10/30/naga-demon/
                    >
                    > The nice thing about these things is, they all have relatively few rules and they're not competitions. They're about getting people motivated to do something they've been thinking about doing but haven't actually made the time to do. You "win" simply by completing the challenge - writing a novel, drawing every day, or designing a game - and the award is the feeling of accomplishment that comes from completing the challenge.
                    >
                    > So, seeing as how 1ListSculpting has been… well… kind of dead lately, I thought maybe we should start a NaMinSculptMo (National Miniature Sculpting Month, though I'm open to a cooler fake acronym if somebody can think of one). Obviously, creating a miniature every day isn't practical, but I think designing and sculpting a single finished sculpt during the month should be reasonable for even the most casual of us (and I'm about as casual as you can get at this). I, for one, would love to see some new greens being posted around here; It's been far too quiet.
                    >
                    > Even if y'all don't join in, I'm using this made up national month as an excuse to pick up the putty and create something for the first time in a while. Chances are, yours will be better than mine, so why not join me? Since we're getting a little late of a start, we could extend it into the first week of December if that would help anyone. Hell, we could make this a rolling Mini-a-Month kind of thing.
                    >
                    > Any thoughts?
                    >
                    > Cheers!
                    > Jeff

                  • Jeff LaMarche
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3, 2011
                      On Nov 3, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Iron Rook wrote:

                      > Perhaps you could just sculpt for an hour each day for a month and show your progress. That way there is no pressure to finish a figure by any deadline but just to sculpt for an hour each day.

                      I'm certainly cool with that approach, though I likely wouldn't be able to do an hour every day myself (more like an hour a day three or four days a week). But, like I said, I don't have a problem with making the deadline open-ended if that will encourage more people to participate.

                    • Roughneck
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3, 2011
                        I really like the sound of this, count me in, too!
                      • angela
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 10, 2011
                          I'm up for it. I have two projects that I am working on for somebody and one I want to start for myself. I will post pics of my project once I have some ready. I want to sculpt a doctor for my Infinity Ariadna army so what better way to keep me going.
                          David

                          --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Jeff LaMarche <jeff_lamarche@...> wrote:

                          > Greetings 1ListSculptors.
                          >
                          > Some of you have probably heard of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), which encourages people to write a 50k word (or longer) novel during the month of November. http://www.nanowrimo.org/
                          >
                          > A few years after that started, somebody started NaNoDrawMo, which doesn't really stand for anything, it's just a riff on NaNoWriMo, but it's where you commit to doing at least one drawing each day duringf the month of November. http://NaNoDrawMo.org
                          >
                          > This year, I noticed NaGa DeMon, the National Game Design Month, where you commit to designing, creating, and playing a game during the month: http://perilplanet.com/2010/10/30/naga-demon/
                          >
                          > The nice thing about these things is, they all have relatively few rules and they're not competitions. They're about getting people motivated to do something they've been thinking about doing but haven't actually made the time to do. You "win" simply by completing the challenge - writing a novel, drawing every day, or designing a game - and the award is the feeling of accomplishment that comes from completing the challenge.
                          >
                          > So, seeing as how 1ListSculpting has been… well… kind of dead lately, I thought maybe we should start a NaMinSculptMo (National Miniature Sculpting Month, though I'm open to a cooler fake acronym if somebody can think of one). Obviously, creating a miniature every day isn't practical, but I think designing and sculpting a single finished sculpt during the month should be reasonable for even the most casual of us (and I'm about as casual as you can get at this). I, for one, would love to see some new greens being posted around here; It's been far too quiet.
                          >
                          > Even if y'all don't join in, I'm using this made up national month as an excuse to pick up the putty and create something for the first time in a while. Chances are, yours will be better than mine, so why not join me? Since we're getting a little late of a start, we could extend it into the first week of December if that would help anyone. Hell, we could make this a rolling Mini-a-Month kind of thing.
                          >
                          > Any thoughts?
                          >
                          > Cheers!
                          > Jeff

                        • minimaker3
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 26, 2011
                            Hi,

                            sounds like a great idea Jeff!

                            Bye,
                            Ming-Hua
                          • iderval_jr
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 27, 2011
                              Definitively it is an excellent idea! Although, I'm just a beginner, I' m in.
                              But it will be difficult to take 1 hour a day. I have only the weekends to make the minis.

                              Cheers!

                              Iderval
                            • Jeff LaMarche
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 27, 2011
                                On Nov 27, 2011, at 10:15 AM, iderval_jr wrote:

                                > Definitively it is an excellent idea! Although, I'm just a beginner, I' m in.
                                > But it will be difficult to take 1 hour a day. I have only the weekends to make the minis.

                                That's fine. The point of this is "no rules, just guidelines". If you can sculpt a little every day, great. If you can only sculpt on the weekends, do that. If you can only sculpt on alternating Tuesdays when the moon is full, then do that. Not trying to add stress to anybody's life. :)