Plasticine soldiers

  • cesar
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2 3:32 AM
      Hi: I think this could be of interest:
      http://ottenki-serogo.livejournal.com/208662.html
      Best regards, Cesar
    • Jim Pickett
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2 8:25 PM
        Looks interesting. Could you perhaps offer a translation? Or at least tell us what is going on?

        Jim Pickett

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 1:18 PM
          Wow! & to think I was going to start switching to "green Stuff", & modeled in full color! this guy is fantastic!

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4 3:56 PM
            --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Jim Pickett <jimpick2001@...> wrote:

            Looks interesting. Could you perhaps offer a translation? Or at least tell us what is going on?

            Jim Pickett
            Here is an article in english:
            http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2011/03/02/amazing-plasticine-soldiers/#more-38513
            > Best regards, Cesar
          • Roger White
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6 12:41 PM
              thanks for the translation in english, I feel bad that the man who sculpted these wonderfull miniatures is no longer w/us. Perhaps someone eventually will make an offer for some of the collection & have molds made .

              Looks interesting. Could you perhaps offer a translation? Or at least tell us what is going on?

              Jim Pickett
              Here is an article in english:
              http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2011/03/02/amazing-plasticine-soldiers/#more-38513
              > Best regards, Cesar

            • Iron Rook
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6 1:30 PM
                When I think of "plasticine", I think of plastic/clay that doesn't set up. Molding would be most difficult without destroying the originals.

                On Apr 6, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Roger White wrote:

                > thanks for the translation in english, I feel bad that the man who sculpted these wonderfull miniatures is no longer w/us. Perhaps someone eventually will make an offer for some of the collection & have molds made .

              • Roger White
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7 1:15 PM
                  Once baked plasticine/sculpey will harden up a bit, enough that certain mold compounds could be used to create metal masters, I've even used plasticine/sculpey to make molds themselves to cast armitures in metal, it can be a bit more versitile than you'd expect, I was quite shocked that I could cast white metal in it, though admittedly the detail will get burnt out in the first 3-5 castings, so non-detailed castings like armitures will work fine for about15-20 castings. The only problem w/castining any of the gentlemans figures would be that they would be destroyed/sacrificed in the creation of a metal master figure that could then go into production. I just think that w/ all the effort that went into these 25-28mm figures that they should see production as they are wonderfully detailed & historically accurate. secondly I am a fan of Russian Napoleonics & his curassiers are some of the best I've seen as my Perry Bro's French Hvy. Cav. isn't the most
                  accurate conversion of them ( especially the helmets). But this is just my opinion

                  When I think of "plasticine", I think of plastic/clay that doesn't set up. Molding would be most difficult without destroying the originals.

                  On Apr 6, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Roger White wrote:

                  > thanks for the translation in english, I feel bad that the man who sculpted these wonderfull miniatures is no longer w/us. Perhaps someone eventually will make an offer for some of the collection & have molds made .

                • zurikfrostbeard
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 15 8:11 PM
                    Yeah, maybe plasticene has a different meaning outside the US, but I always thought it was that "clay" that never hardens and in fact gets softer when it's warm. It can actually melt if it gets too warm.
                    If it's more like sculpey or fimo and can be cured by baking that's a different story. Although, either way these seem like there would be a very real risk of destroying the originals if you tried to make molds from them.
                    The guy did very cool and amazing amount of work, though! I hope they continue to be looked after and kept in good shape.