Rebuilding Toolkit

  • Jeff LaMarche
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hello, group.

      I went to NYC for a conference on Monday. While in Penn Station, I had my luggage stolen, and that stolen luggage had nearly all of my miniature sculpting supplies in it. All my in-progress greens, all the tools that I've bought or made over the last five or more years, armatures, corks, vices, pliers, putty, calipers, and the wonderful little putty oven I bought from our list moderator. Of course, the thief is going to be really upset… there was very little of any resale value in there, though it's going to take a pretty penny to replace what was lost.

      This is nowhere near the tragedy it would be for many of you. This is only a hobby for me, and a fairly casual one. Only one of my WIP greens had any significant time invested in it so, in the scheme of things, it really isn't THAT big of a deal, though it's certainly frustrating. I just finished another book, so for the first time in months, I actually have some free time to sculpt, and I can't, because I don't have what I need and can't get everything I need locally.

      It IS interesting trying to rebuild my toolkit, though. It's hard to remember all the things I owned. In some ways, it will be good, because I know exactly what I like in tools at this point, so I'll come out of this with a leaner kit, but tracking down some of the stuff is going to be a challenge and I'm sure some items I just won't remember until I actually need them.

      I spent this evening going around craft and hobby stores in the area, piecing together what I could locally. I found pliers, corks, files, hemostats, floral wire, X-acto knives, superglue, and vaseline. I built a few Bobby Jackson™ style vices, and got out the grindstone and music wire and built myself a replacement set of small-scale tools, though I may have to make a few more, I don't like the ones I made tonight as well as my previous set. There will be a few things I have to purchase via mail order, but I'm going back to NYC a little later this week, so I'm going to try and get what I can from The Compleat Sculptor - I know they stock both Green Stuff and ProCreate and have a wonderful selection of tools, including many wax carvers. I'll still need a good set of calipers and some pre-cast armatures, but by the end of the week, I should be back up and sculpting once again.

      Anyway, thanks for letting me vent my frustrations. If you travel with your tools, keep your luggage close.

      Jeff

      P.S. Ming-Hua - if you ever build another batch of putty ovens, please let me know!
    • kcontos
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
        ASW has the best price I've found for clay shapers:
        http://tinyurl.com/nbyowr

        Widget Supply has a huge inventory of hard to find, but reasonably priced hobby tools and equipment. Mini sculptors and modelers should check out the extensive dental tool section- loads of rotary tool goodies, knives and blades, along with cheap hemostats and forceps of about every size and shape.

        http://www.widgetsupply.com/

        I've ordered from both vendors, both had prompt delivery and good service

        http://fortressfigures.com/kcontos/
      • allarddesignstudio
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 3, 2009
          Wow! Jeff that sucks bad! I live in Brooklyn so I know what you mean man, everything has got to be locked down around these parts...scumbags suck!
          if your coming back to NY, your right the best place to get anything is at TCS, they really have it all.I would just make a wish list from their site and bring it with you, one of the staff will help you find it all without going nuts.they just started carrying greenstuff there too. I make custom tools (metal and wood) so if you can't find what you need/want buy something close and I would happy to mod it for you @ no charge. if you have any pics of your cooker I may be able to replicate it too. sorry you had to have a crap experience like that just before the holidays... :P
          ~John

          --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Jeff LaMarche <jeff_lamarche@...> wrote:

          > Hello, group.
          >
          > I went to NYC for a conference on Monday. While in Penn Station, I had my luggage stolen, and that stolen luggage had nearly all of my miniature sculpting supplies in it. All my in-progress greens, all the tools that I've bought or made over the last five or more years, armatures, corks, vices, pliers, putty, calipers, and the wonderful little putty oven I bought from our list moderator. Of course, the thief is going to be really upset… there was very little of any resale value in there, though it's going to take a pretty penny to replace what was lost.
          >
          > This is nowhere near the tragedy it would be for many of you. This is only a hobby for me, and a fairly casual one. Only one of my WIP greens had any significant time invested in it so, in the scheme of things, it really isn't THAT big of a deal, though it's certainly frustrating. I just finished another book, so for the first time in months, I actually have some free time to sculpt, and I can't, because I don't have what I need and can't get everything I need locally.
          >
          > It IS interesting trying to rebuild my toolkit, though. It's hard to remember all the things I owned. In some ways, it will be good, because I know exactly what I like in tools at this point, so I'll come out of this with a leaner kit, but tracking down some of the stuff is going to be a challenge and I'm sure some items I just won't remember until I actually need them.
          >
          > I spent this evening going around craft and hobby stores in the area, piecing together what I could locally. I found pliers, corks, files, hemostats, floral wire, X-acto knives, superglue, and vaseline. I built a few Bobby Jackson™ style vices, and got out the grindstone and music wire and built myself a replacement set of small-scale tools, though I may have to make a few more, I don't like the ones I made tonight as well as my previous set. There will be a few things I have to purchase via mail order, but I'm going back to NYC a little later this week, so I'm going to try and get what I can from The Compleat Sculptor - I know they stock both Green Stuff and ProCreate and have a wonderful selection of tools, including many wax carvers. I'll still need a good set of calipers and some pre-cast armatures, but by the end of the week, I should be back up and sculpting once again.
          >
          > Anyway, thanks for letting me vent my frustrations. If you travel with your tools, keep your luggage close.
          >
          > Jeff
          >
          > P.S. Ming-Hua - if you ever build another batch of putty ovens, please let me know!

        • Tim
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 3, 2009
            Sorry to hear that, that is really bad.

            --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Jeff LaMarche <jeff_lamarche@...> wrote:

            > Hello, group.
            >
            > I went to NYC for a conference on Monday. While in Penn Station, I had my luggage stolen,
          • Brian
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 3, 2009
              Jeff, I've got a few extra tools laying around. Shoot me an e-mail, and we can see if they're anything you can use.

              -Brian

              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 3, 2009
                On Dec 3, 2009, at 6:19 AM, allarddesignstudio wrote:

                > Wow! Jeff that sucks bad! I live in Brooklyn so I know what you mean man, everything has got to be locked down around these parts...scumbags suck!

                Yeah, but you know what? If someone's so bad off they feel the need to steal luggage, they have bigger problems than I do in their life. It's frustrating, but it could have been so much worse. By the time I'm back up and running, I'll have spent a handful hours and a little money both of which I happened to have at the time, so there's really no point in getting too upset about it and ruining my day.

                And it really is kind of an interesting process to go through. My previous kit was built up over several years, built while I was learning to sculpt. Trying to replace it in a few days is an interesting challenge. There was a lot of cruft in there, tools I almost never used.

                > if your coming back to NY, your right the best place to get anything is at TCS, they really have it all.I would just make a wish list from their site and bring it with you, one of the staff will help you find it all without going nuts.they just started carrying greenstuff there too.

                Yeah, last time I was there I noticed that they had both ProCreate and Green Stuff on the shelves, which I had never noticed before. TCS is one of the things that makes me regret living in the boonies. Marvelous store, like a toy store for sculptors.

                I'm heading down tomorrow morning, and think the only things I still need are a good wax carver (or three), clay shapers, and putty. I could use some pre-casts, but I'm pretty sure they don't carry those, but I can build armatures from wire and though I won't have everything I had, I think I'll have enough tools to do most anything I need to do. I'll have enough, at least, to get started.

                > I make custom tools (metal and wood) so if you can't find what you need/want buy something close and I would happy to mod it for you @ no charge. if you have any pics of your cooker I may be able to replicate it too. sorry you had to have a crap experience like that just before the holidays... :P

                I appreciate the offer, but I've actually become a fair hand at making and modifying tools myself. I spent much of last night grinding music wire into small scale detailing tools. My main problem now is that I've got nothing to sculpt in - no place locally carries putty, and I just can't make polymer clay do what I want at this scale... I'm too accustomed to putty

                I don't think I have any pictures of the cooker. I bought it from Ming-Hua, so I think there's probably pictures of it floating around somewhere. I've got other putty ovens, just none as nice as the one I bought from him.

                Jeff

              • Jeff LaMarche
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 3, 2009
                  On Dec 3, 2009, at 9:34 AM, Brian wrote:

                  > Jeff, I've got a few extra tools laying around. Shoot me an e-mail, and we can see if they're anything you can use.

                  Thanks, man, I appreciate it. But By tomorrow afternoon, I think I'll be back up and running. I spent the evening making tools, so once I get a good wax carver and some clay shapers, I think I'll have everything I need.

                  Awfully nice of you to offer though. I'll drop an e-mail anyway, just to catch up :)

                • allarddesignstudio
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 3, 2009
                    okay cool Jeff, you got the right attitude man! rock on. hey guys for the clay shapers, I was in a micheals crafts and I found they sold clay shapers at a wicked cheap price of like 8 or 10 dollers for a package of 4 or 5 shapers. the deal was they were not in the sculpting area! they were in the painting area! sold as paint pushers! I always tell people to look in unrelated areas for stuff the has been redesignated and save, and here I was finding a huge savings. we all know these things are way over priced. I'll bet if you looked online for the paint pusher sets it would reveal an even greater deal.
                    ~John

                    --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Jeff LaMarche <jeff_lamarche@...> wrote:

                    > Hello, group.
                    >
                    > I went to NYC for a conference on Monday. While in Penn Station, I had my luggage stolen, and that stolen luggage had nearly all of my miniature sculpting supplies in it. All my in-progress greens, all the tools that I've bought or made over the last five or more years, armatures, corks, vices, pliers, putty, calipers, and the wonderful little putty oven I bought from our list moderator. Of course, the thief is going to be really upset… there was very little of any resale value in there, though it's going to take a pretty penny to replace what was lost.
                    >
                    > This is nowhere near the tragedy it would be for many of you. This is only a hobby for me, and a fairly casual one. Only one of my WIP greens had any significant time invested in it so, in the scheme of things, it really isn't THAT big of a deal, though it's certainly frustrating. I just finished another book, so for the first time in months, I actually have some free time to sculpt, and I can't, because I don't have what I need and can't get everything I need locally.
                    >
                    > It IS interesting trying to rebuild my toolkit, though. It's hard to remember all the things I owned. In some ways, it will be good, because I know exactly what I like in tools at this point, so I'll come out of this with a leaner kit, but tracking down some of the stuff is going to be a challenge and I'm sure some items I just won't remember until I actually need them.
                    >
                    > I spent this evening going around craft and hobby stores in the area, piecing together what I could locally. I found pliers, corks, files, hemostats, floral wire, X-acto knives, superglue, and vaseline. I built a few Bobby Jackson™ style vices, and got out the grindstone and music wire and built myself a replacement set of small-scale tools, though I may have to make a few more, I don't like the ones I made tonight as well as my previous set. There will be a few things I have to purchase via mail order, but I'm going back to NYC a little later this week, so I'm going to try and get what I can from The Compleat Sculptor - I know they stock both Green Stuff and ProCreate and have a wonderful selection of tools, including many wax carvers. I'll still need a good set of calipers and some pre-cast armatures, but by the end of the week, I should be back up and sculpting once again.
                    >
                    > Anyway, thanks for letting me vent my frustrations. If you travel with your tools, keep your luggage close.
                    >
                    > Jeff
                    >
                    > P.S. Ming-Hua - if you ever build another batch of putty ovens, please let me know!

                  • Evyn MacDude
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 4, 2009
                      On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 16:24, allarddesignstudio <
                      allarddesignstudio@...> wrote:

                      > okay cool Jeff, you got the right attitude man! rock on. hey guys for the
                      > clay shapers, I was in a micheals crafts and I found they sold clay shapers
                      > at a wicked cheap price of like 8 or 10 dollers for a package of 4 or 5
                      > shapers. the deal was they were not in the sculpting area! they were in the
                      > painting area! sold as paint pushers!

                      There are at least a couple of different firmnesses of the "Clay shapers",
                      the softer "Color shapers" (the white tipped ones AIR) are sold as paint
                      knives.....
                      --
                      Evyn

                    • a h schmidt
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 4, 2009
                        Yeah, the color shaper/clay shaper thing always threw me. It seems that I
                        have always seen them in stores in the same place, but organized in terms of
                        firmness; black, gray, white... They are always pricey!

                        The tips are silicone. I was thinking about trying to make some custom
                        shaper heads with spare silicone after pouring a mold. I haven't tried this
                        yet, but some day I will have to.

                        Sorry to hear that your gear was stolen, Jeff. That stinks. That sort of
                        thing can happen here in Chicago, but is a little less common than NY.

                        --Aaron

                        On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Evyn MacDude <infojunky@...> wrote:

                        > On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 16:24, allarddesignstudio <
                        > allarddesignstudio@... <allarddesignstudio%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                        >
                        > > okay cool Jeff, you got the right attitude man! rock on. hey guys for the
                        > > clay shapers, I was in a micheals crafts and I found they sold clay
                        > shapers
                        > > at a wicked cheap price of like 8 or 10 dollers for a package of 4 or 5
                        > > shapers. the deal was they were not in the sculpting area! they were in
                        > the
                        > > painting area! sold as paint pushers!
                        >
                        > There are at least a couple of different firmnesses of the "Clay shapers",
                        > the softer "Color shapers" (the white tipped ones AIR) are sold as paint
                        > knives.....
                        > --
                        > Evyn

                      • Jeff LaMarche
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 4, 2009
                          >Sorry to hear that your gear was stolen,
                          >Jeff. That stinks. That sort of
                          >thing can happen here in Chicago, but is a
                          >little less common than NY

                          It's actually not all that common in NY, though Penn Station is
                          certainly one of the most likely places for it to happen. I've
                          probably come into Penn Station 300 times, and that was the first time
                          I've ever had anything stolen. I was careless.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Dec 4, 2009, at 12:22 PM, a h schmidt <ahschmidt@...> wrote:

                          > Sorry to hear that your gear was stolen, Jeff. That stinks. That
                          > sort of
                          > thing can happen here in Chicago, but is a little less common than NY.

                        • Druthu Spoon
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 4, 2009
                            Sucks to hear....
                            I work in the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens....there is a reason my wallet has a chain attached to it.
                            :)

                            To: 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com
                            From: jeff_lamarche@...
                            Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:33:08 -0500
                            Subject: Re: [1listSculpting] Re: Rebuilding Toolkit

                            >Sorry to hear that your gear was stolen,

                            >Jeff. That stinks. That sort of

                            >thing can happen here in Chicago, but is a

                            >little less common than NY

                            It's actually not all that common in NY, though Penn Station is

                            certainly one of the most likely places for it to happen. I've

                            probably come into Penn Station 300 times, and that was the first time

                            I've ever had anything stolen. I was careless.

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Dec 4, 2009, at 12:22 PM, a h schmidt <ahschmidt@...> wrote:

                            > Sorry to hear that your gear was stolen, Jeff. That stinks. That

                            > sort of

                            > thing can happen here in Chicago, but is a little less common than NY.

                          • minimaker3
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 4, 2009
                              Hi,

                              sorry, a bit of a late reaction. Sorry to hear that your stuff got stolen. Especially with the greens in it.

                              As to the putty oven, it's the one with a heat element, right? http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v490/minimaker/?action=view¤t=oven1.jpg ? I sold the last one to Werner and haven't made one since. I still have boxes but am missing some of the electronics. I'll see what is possible and will let you know. By the way, if anybody is interested in getting one, let me know.

                              Did you also get the batterypack?

                              Bye,
                              Ming-Hua
                            • Jeff LaMarche
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 4, 2009
                                On Dec 4, 2009, at 5:32 PM, minimaker3 wrote:

                                > sorry, a bit of a late reaction. Sorry to hear that your stuff got stolen. Especially with the greens in it.

                                Thanks. Fortunately, only one green was very far along, the other three I had just started a few nights earlier. I just got back from The Compleat Sculptor a couple of hours ago, and now have everything I need to sculpt. In fact, I just finished building a couple of armatures and putting a base layer of putty on them a few minutes ago There's a few odds and ends I still need to order before I'm completely back to where I was, but nothing I can't get by without, so life is good. I'm in NYC for a few days teaching a workshop, then I'm taking pretty much the rest of the month and relaxing, perchance to sculpt. The last four months have been brutal.

                                > As to the putty oven, it's the one with a heat element, right? http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v490/minimaker/?action=view¤t=oven1.jpg ? I sold the last one to Werner and haven't made one since. I still have boxes but am missing some of the electronics. I'll see what is possible and will let you know. By the way, if anybody is interested in getting one, let me know.

                                Yep, that was the one. Great little oven. Don't go out of your way, but if you do make another batch, I'd certainly like to get another one - it's a great little oven, but if you don't have parts and don't have any other people interested, it won't kill me to live without it. I did get the battery pack with the oven, but I still have it - I forgot to pack it - so I wouldn't need another one of those.

                                Thanks much,
                                Jeff

                              • minimaker3
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 6, 2009
                                  Hi,

                                  what's your experience with the oven? Did you mainly use it at home or travelling? Was the size ok?

                                  By the way, over here in Europe lamp lubs are phased out and sales will stop in 2012. Several types (non-clear and 100W) are already out this year. Is this happening outside Europe too?

                                  Bye,
                                  Ming-Hua
                                • minimaker3
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 6, 2009
                                    Sorry, that was lamp bulbs.

                                    Bye,
                                    Ming-Hua
                                  • Jeff LaMarche
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 6, 2009
                                      On Dec 6, 2009, at 8:28 AM, minimaker3 wrote:

                                      > what's your experience with the oven? Did you mainly use it at home or travelling? Was the size ok?

                                      The size was just about perfect. I could deal with a little smaller, wouldn't want one any bigger, but the size of the previous one was good.

                                      > By the way, over here in Europe lamp lubs are phased out and sales will stop in 2012. Several types (non-clear and 100W) are already out this year. Is this happening outside Europe too?

                                      I haven't heard about a specific date for them being phased out here in the U.S., though I've heard people conjecture that it would happen at some point. If so, a lot of us will be running out and stocking up on low-wattage bulbs, I would imagine :)

                                    • Jeff LaMarche
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 6, 2009
                                        On Dec 6, 2009, at 8:28 AM, minimaker3 wrote:

                                        > what's your experience with the oven? Did you mainly use it at home or travelling? Was the size ok?

                                        Whoops, sorry, realized I forgot to answer the first question. I used it both for home and traveling. I don't travel as much as I used to, but I still travel once or twice a month, though I usually didn't use the battery pack.

                                      • minimaker3
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 6, 2009
                                          Hi,

                                          thanks for the replies.

                                          > I haven't heard about a specific date for them being phased out here in the U.S., though I've heard people conjecture that it would happen at some point. If so, a lot of us will be running out and stocking up on low-wattage bulbs, I would imagine :)

                                          Probably. I wonder how the mini-painters will be affected as there is still a problem creating a good daylight version of the energy saving lights.

                                          Bye,
                                          Ming-Hua
                                        • zurikfrostbeard
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 6, 2009
                                            Oh, I have 3 Ott Lites I use for sculpting, prepping and painting. I don't know what I'd do without them...

                                            --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "minimaker3" <mhckao@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi,
                                            >
                                            > thanks for the replies.
                                            >
                                            > > I haven't heard about a specific date for them being phased out here in the U.S., though I've heard people conjecture that it would happen at some point. If so, a lot of us will be running out and stocking up on low-wattage bulbs, I would imagine :)
                                            >
                                            > Probably. I wonder how the mini-painters will be affected as there is still a problem creating a good daylight version of the energy saving lights.
                                            >
                                            > Bye,
                                            > Ming-Hua

                                          • Jeff LaMarche
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 6, 2009
                                              On Dec 6, 2009, at 7:32 PM, zurikfrostbeard wrote:

                                              > Oh, I have 3 Ott Lites I use for sculpting, prepping and painting. I don't know what I'd do without them...

                                              I've got a couple of these, also - one travel size, and two larger ones at my house. I assumed from Ming-Hua's comments that maybe there was something wrong with these lights for painters, but for sculpting, they're awesome.

                                            • Tor Magnusson
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 7, 2009
                                                Ming, I think this was you a couple of years ago. I am looking for some
                                                charts that showed the different scales side by side. Wasn't it you that
                                                had those?

                                                Thanks

                                                Tor

                                              • Tim
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Dec 7, 2009
                                                  Yeah, we've already lost 100 watters here in UK, I also use three spotlights when modelling and painting - I guess painting will be restricted to long summer nights only soon...!!! :[
                                                  Of course unless someone invents a good daylight energy bulb....!

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Dec 7, 2009
                                                    Hi,

                                                    there is a scale set in the files section:

                                                    Is this the one you were looking for? It's not mine but similar to the one I have.

                                                    Bye,
                                                    Ming-Hua
                                                  • tormag@comcast.net
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Dec 7, 2009
                                                      Thanks Ming-Hua, who wold have thought of looking in the Reference files section?

                                                      I appreciate it.

                                                      Tor

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Dec 7, 2009
                                                        I think Ming-Hua's comment was that "they" (whoever makes lightbulbs) are having a hard time coming up with a good energy-saving daylight bulb. If they can't/don't (or if it takes a long time) that may affect painters (more so than sculptors - because you don't really need "daylight" for sculpting, just good light). The daylight bulbs are more about color, thus more important to painters. :)

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Dec 9, 2009
                                                          Hi,

                                                          I had a look at the http://www.ott-lite.com lamps. If the light used by minipainters/sculptors are low energy lamps that could be a solution. How long do they last? I saw on a German site a note they were garanteed for 12 months.

                                                          Jeff, which types are you using?

                                                          By the way, Jeff, I checked and the oven will be 20 Euro. I'll mail you in a moment.

                                                          Bye, Ming-Hua
                                                        • Jeff LaMarche
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Dec 9, 2009
                                                            On Dec 9, 2009, at 6:42 PM, minimaker3 wrote:

                                                            > I had a look at the http://www.ott-lite.com lamps. If the light used by minipainters/sculptors are low energy lamps that could be a solution. How long do they last? I saw on a German site a note they were garanteed for 12 months.
                                                            >
                                                            > Jeff, which types are you using?

                                                            I've got a couple. My portable one is a few years old, but this link shows the current model that replaced it:

                                                            http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/181-4876694-4281849?ASIN=B001P4206W&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B001P4206W%7COtt-Lite_Classic_Task_Lamp_-_Black_(13")&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B001P4206W&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

                                                            Mine doesn't have the ability to run on batteries, so this one is actually better than mine (not that you probably have Target stores, but it's what Google found for me). But, then again, I don't remember paying nearly that much for it either. Not sure what the wattage on this model is, but it uses a smaller bulb than the other two have (which are 18W) - maybe 11W? This one folds up small enough that it fits easily into a roller bag when I travel. I have to prop it up on some books or something to use it, but that's more a reflection of my height than anything, I'd guess.

                                                            At my desk, I have an Ott-Lite True-Color Desk Lamp:

                                                            http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp03021.html?ovchn=SPRI&ovcpn=Froogle&ovcrn=Froogle&ovtac=CMP

                                                            The picture in that link shows the clamp configuration, but it also comes with a base, so it can sit on a table or desk, rather than clamping to it. Clamping would be nice in terms of desk space, but the design of my desk doesn't provide any place to clamp it, so having both options is great. This light is much brighter than the travel one, and I prefer to use it when I'm at home. It's also on a flexible neck, so I can adjust it into a lot more positions than the portable one. But I can't fold it up and put it in my suitcase. :)

                                                            In my (mostly unused these days) studio, I have a floor model that's also 18W, basically the same light as the previous link, but in a floor model. For mini sculpting, the desk model is definitely the way to go, though, or if you need something more portable, one of the portable 11W models, though the desktop models give brighter light over a bigger area.

                                                            The bulbs do last quite a while. I've had the desk lamp for probably two years, use it as my main light source in my office, so it's at least 12 hours a day, and I haven't changed the bulb yet. I've had the portable one for four or five years and I seem to recall having changed the bulb once in that time. The bulbs are expensive, though. They aren't standard fluorescents, they use a proprietary plug, and you have to use their bulbs, which IIRC seem to be in the $20-$30 range.

                                                            I'm not sure if the craft stores where you are do this, but in the U.S., most of the major craft stores (Michael's, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann Fabric) tend to run coupons for 40-50% off one item fairly often. I used those to buy all three of my Ott-lites.

                                                            Hope that helps.
                                                            Jeff
                                                          • zurikfrostbeard
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Dec 9, 2009
                                                              I know you asked Jeff, but I'll chime in, too. I'm not sure what type of bulbs mine use (I'd have to go dig up the packaging or papers if I still have them). The Ott lites I have are the portable flip up ones. I haven't had any bulbs burn out yet, but I've only had the lights for 2-4 years (purchased at different times) and probably only use them for 2 to 3 hours at a time and not every day.