Sculptors meeting at GenCon

  • JIM
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2009
      I was wondering is anyone is putting together a sculptors meeting for this year? and if so what day/time and where? I had such a great time and learned so much just in that little time from all the sculptors. It was also nice putting some faces with some of the names on the list here. Who else plans to attend?
    • Barton Stano
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
        I will be attending.
      • Sean P. Abel
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
          I was at the event last year and would love to know the time and place this
          year.

          Sean

          _____

          I was wondering is anyone is putting together a sculptors meeting for this
          year? and if so what day/time and where? I had such a great time and learned
          so much just in that little time from all the sculptors. It was also nice
          putting some faces with some of the names on the list here. Who else plans
          to attend?

          17:56:00

        • Scott Francek
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
            I am looking forward to it.

            --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "JIM" <glimdor@...> wrote:

            > I was wondering is anyone is putting together a sculptors meeting for this year? and if so what day/time and where? I had such a great time and learned so much just in that little time from all the sculptors. It was also nice putting some faces with some of the names on the list here. Who else plans to attend?

          • Karen
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
              I am also attending GenCon, but just joined this group and haven't sculpted so much as a play dough ball yet :)

              When/where did you meet last year? Perhaps that's a good jumping off point.

              Events at GenCon related to sculpting:

              Weapons for Miniatures Sculpting and Conversions by Scott Francek
              8/13/2009 10:00 at ICC 211 B
              and
              8/14/2009 10:00 at ICC 211 A

              Basics of Greenstuff and Conversions by Jeremy Bernhardt
              08/13/2009 16:00 PM at ICC 210 A
              and
              8/15/2009 12:00 at ICC 211 B

              Sculpting with Green Stuff and Miniature Manipulation by Joseph Orteza
              08/13/2009 18:00 PM at ICC 210 C
              and
              8/14/2009 12:00, 08/14/2009 18:00 PM, 8/15/2009 12:00, 08/15/2009 18:00 PM

              Advanced Miniature Sculpting: Faces by Matt Gubser
              8/14/2009 10:00 at ICC 211 C
              and
              08/15/2009 18:00 PM at ICC 210 A

              Miniature Sculpting with Polymer Clays by Matt Gubser
              8/14/2009 12:00 at ICC 211 C
              and 8/16/2009 12:00

              MHE Demo Table - Matt Gubser: Watch and ask questions of industry sculptor Matt Gubser as he works! Matt is a sculptor who has done work for companies such as Reaper, Dark Age and more.
              08/14/2009 14:00 PM at ICC 2nd fl Serpentine lobby
              and 08/15/2009 14:00 PM

              Dragon Sculpting by Matt Gubser
              8/15/2009 12:00 at ICC 210 A
              and
              8/16/2009 10:00 at ICC 211 C

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 6, 2009
                I would like to thank everyone for the advice and help and as promised here
                is a look at my work. I would be very open to opinions in regards to what I
                have done and how I can become better. I am sending a link to photobucket I
                think it is the best way to let you all see my work with out causing a major
                problem in pic email download clogs. :-)

                Sean

                This is a link to my photobucket account
                (http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/SeanAbel/Miniatures).

                05:57:00

              • JIM
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 7, 2009
                  So it's great to hear so many of you will be there, I hope I get a chance to say hi to all of you. anyone interested in meeting up while there should get ahold of me. It still doesn't answer the question about the sculptors meeting though. Does anyone know when it will be? any information would be appreciated.

                  Glimdor

                  --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "JIM" <glimdor@...> wrote:

                  > I was wondering is anyone is putting together a sculptors meeting for this year? and if so what day/time and where? I had such a great time and learned so much just in that little time from all the sculptors. It was also nice putting some faces with some of the names on the list here. Who else plans to attend?

                • weemonkey_sparky
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 8, 2009
                    It looks as though a couple of list members are teaching sculpting classes this year. Any chance one of them could ask about using the Paint and Take tables after hours again?
                  • Scott Francek
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 8, 2009
                      I put the question out to the MHE folks. I have not heard back yet.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 10, 2009
                        We are ok to use the tables both Friday or Saturday, but on Friday we must stay clear of the Aces (I think that's from 6 to 7:00) competition and the judging going on later. I believe we did Friday night at 8:00 last year and it seemed to work pretty well.

                        I say let's do Friday at 8:00 again. It's traditionally been of Friday night. the one Saturday we did lost a pretty large group to another function.

                        --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Francek" <sfrancek_48326@...> wrote:

                        > I put the question out to the MHE folks. I have not heard back yet.
                        >
                        > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "weemonkey_sparky" <weemonkey@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > It looks as though a couple of list members are teaching sculpting classes this year. Any chance one of them could ask about using the Paint and Take tables after hours again?

                      • oneacmename
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                          Hey Sean If this is the post your talking about I lied to you I did see it... The problem is photobucket is so full of BS that it crashed my browser and I never got around to coming back and posting.

                          I can only look at your first dragonborn pic on the list but it looks great. I wanted to create one for my wife's char but am nowhere near that skill yet.

                          Anyway great job. I have a hosting company maybe I should setup something for people to post their photos to that isn't full of ADS and crap.

                          --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Sean P. Abel" <SABEL@...> wrote:

                          > I would like to thank everyone for the advice and help and as promised here
                          > is a look at my work. I would be very open to opinions in regards to what I
                          > have done and how I can become better. I am sending a link to photobucket I
                          > think it is the best way to let you all see my work with out causing a major
                          > problem in pic email download clogs. :-)
                          >

                          > Sean
                          >

                          > This is a link to my photobucket account
                          > (http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/SeanAbel/Miniatures).

                          > 05:57:00

                        • Sean P. Abel
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                            If you live in Texas you need to check out Reaper miniatures they hold
                            events and have sculptors come in for demos and classes

                            http://www.reapermini.com/ plus they hold Reaper Con every year which shows
                            off their games but the big draw is the painting and sculpting classed that
                            they offer. I am trying to find a way to make it next year, but being in
                            education, money is always tight for me as well. I am up in Ohio so Gen Con
                            and origins are in my back door (one west 4 hours and the other South under
                            3 hours.

                            Thank you for the complement on my Dragonborn, He is 25mm but seems small to
                            me I should have made him bulkier stronger looking but maybe the next
                            Dragonborn. Here is a link to my Facebook pics with the photos on it.
                            <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1581609611&ref=name#/album.php?aid=2
                            021187&id=1581609611> &ref=name#/album.php?aid=2021187&id=1581609611

                            I should be updating today with my old lady project hopefully I get her
                            done. Keep at the work. I am still having problems with heads I am to heavy
                            handed with sculpting these small things I just want to force it to be a
                            shape and I need to soften up my touch more. If you start a hosting site for
                            pictures let me know again maybe working with the group here to set up
                            something b/c I agree photobucket is full of ads and I do not have the cash
                            to get ads free from them, I am think maybe a blog page but you still run
                            into the ad issue.

                            Check out Reaper they are a great company and very helpful plus friendly.

                            Sean

                            _____

                            --- In 1listSculpting@ <mailto:1listSculpting%40yahoogroups.com>
                            yahoogroups.com, "Sean P. Abel" <SABEL@...> wrote:

                            > I would like to thank everyone for the advice and help and as promised
                            here
                            > is a look at my work. I would be very open to opinions in regards to what
                            > have done and how I can become better. I am sending a link to photobucket
                            > think it is the best way to let you all see my work with out causing a
                            major
                            > problem in pic email download clogs. :-)
                            >

                            > Sean
                            >

                            > This is a link to my photobucket account
                            > (http://s34.photobuc
                            <http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/SeanAbel/Miniatures>
                            ket.com/albums/d142/SeanAbel/Miniatures).

                            > 05:57:00

                            06:10:00

                          • todd@thrashweb.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                              ReaperCon is fantastic. I've been the last two years now.

                              Last year they also started doing a 1 day event in October.
                              If you go to reapermini.com you can see the countdown clock
                              for "ArtistCon" Last year was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to
                              another round.

                              -todd

                              On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:35:34 -0400, "Sean P. Abel" <SABEL@...>
                              wrote:
                              > If you live in Texas you need to check out Reaper miniatures they hold
                              > events and have sculptors come in for demos and classes
                              >
                              > http://www.reapermini.com/ plus they hold Reaper Con every year which
                              shows
                              > off their games but the big draw is the painting and sculpting classed
                              that
                              > they offer. I am trying to find a way to make it next year, but being in
                              > education, money is always tight for me as well. I am up in Ohio so Gen
                              Con
                              > and origins are in my back door (one west 4 hours and the other South
                              under
                              > 3 hours.
                              >

                              > Thank you for the complement on my Dragonborn, He is 25mm but seems small
                              > me I should have made him bulkier stronger looking but maybe the next
                              > Dragonborn. Here is a link to my Facebook pics with the photos on it.
                              > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1581609611

                              <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1581609611&ref=name#/album.php?aid=2
                              > 021187&id=1581609611> &ref=name#/album.php?aid=2021187&id=1581609611
                              >

                              > I should be updating today with my old lady project hopefully I get her
                              > done. Keep at the work. I am still having problems with heads I am to
                              heavy
                              > handed with sculpting these small things I just want to force it to be a
                              > shape and I need to soften up my touch more. If you start a hosting site
                              > for
                              > pictures let me know again maybe working with the group here to set up
                              > something b/c I agree photobucket is full of ads and I do not have the
                              cash
                              > to get ads free from them, I am think maybe a blog page but you still run
                              > into the ad issue.
                              >
                              > Check out Reaper they are a great company and very helpful plus friendly.

                              > Sean
                              >
                              > _____

                              08/11/09
                              > 06:10:00

                            • Sean P. Abel
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                                Here is my work for today :-) still grinding to get things ready for
                                Gen-Con.

                                http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/SeanAbel/?newest=1 Photobucket
                                pictures

                                OR

                                <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1581609611&ref=name#/album.php?aid=2
                                021676&id=1581609611> &ref=name#/album.php?aid=2021676&id=1581609611
                                Facebook

                                Let me know what you all think. I love to hear from you.

                                06:10:00

                              • oneacmename
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                                  I will check out reaper con says its over.
                                  Artist con has a counter for Oct whats the difference? Or are they the same thing?

                                  I like the old lady the cloths are great the face will look much better once painted, if your planning on painting. I don't plan on painting anything of mine for a long time, Its a whole other skill I don't need to learn while trying to learn to sculpt.

                                  --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Sean P. Abel" <SABEL@...> wrote:

                                  > Here is my work for today :-) still grinding to get things ready for
                                  > Gen-Con.
                                  >

                                  > http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/SeanAbel/?newest=1 Photobucket
                                  > pictures
                                  >
                                  > OR
                                  >
                                  > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1581609611
                                  > <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1581609611&ref=name#/album.php?aid=2
                                  > 021676&id=1581609611> &ref=name#/album.php?aid=2021676&id=1581609611
                                  > Facebook
                                  >

                                  > Let me know what you all think. I love to hear from you.

                                  > 06:10:00

                                • oneacmename
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                                    Oh one other thing do you sculpt on those bases? If so what kind are they?

                                    --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Sean P. Abel" <SABEL@...> wrote:

                                    > Here is my work for today :-) still grinding to get things ready for
                                    > Gen-Con.
                                    >

                                    > http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/SeanAbel/?newest=1 Photobucket
                                    > pictures
                                    >
                                    > OR
                                    >
                                    > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1581609611
                                    > <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1581609611&ref=name#/album.php?aid=2
                                    > 021676&id=1581609611> &ref=name#/album.php?aid=2021676&id=1581609611
                                    > Facebook
                                    >

                                    > Let me know what you all think. I love to hear from you.

                                    > 06:10:00

                                  • Sean P. Abel
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                                      The Artist Con in Oct is a free one day event, that you can just drop in and
                                      see what they have going on. Reaper Con is in May (I think, but it would be
                                      better for me (LOL) if it happened in June, and it is a four day event
                                      filled with activities, games painting and sculpting classes.

                                      Your going to laugh, most of the "bases" I am using are the end caps for
                                      glow in the dark sticks (they come in a tub so that the sticks are in the
                                      dark) they do now take the putty well at all, so I pin the feet and attach
                                      them to the base. The Dragonborn figure would not stay on a base (of that
                                      type) at all so I just used a slot base I had around. Making base is not
                                      hard but I did not have the time to work on them so I improvised. I would
                                      use sculpey to make a base (cheaper, and you just bake it an over for 15 min
                                      at 275 then you can add your mini, or just fill make green stuff bases.
                                      There is a lot of info on making bases so I have not really put much thought
                                      in to it.

                                      Thank you for the complements, I started her about a week ago (the Old Lady)
                                      it is for a friend of mine and I would think she is about 10 hours of work
                                      time thus far (more coming to night).

                                      _____

                                      Oh one other thing do you sculpt on those bases? If so what kind are they?

                                      --- In 1listSculpting@ <mailto:1listSculpting%40yahoogroups.com>
                                      yahoogroups.com, "Sean P. Abel" <SABEL@...> wrote:

                                      > Here is my work for today :-) still grinding to get things ready for
                                      > Gen-Con.
                                      >

                                      > http://s34.photobuc
                                      <http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/SeanAbel/?newest=1>
                                      ket.com/albums/d142/SeanAbel/?newest=1 Photobucket
                                      > pictures
                                      >
                                      > OR
                                      >
                                      > http://www.facebook <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1581609611>
                                      .com/profile.php?id=1581609611
                                      > <http://www.facebook
                                      <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1581609611&ref=name#/album.php?aid=2
                                      > .com/profile.php?id=1581609611&ref=name#/album.php?aid=2
                                      > 021676&id=1581609611> &ref=name#/album.php?aid=2021676&id=1581609611
                                      > Facebook
                                      >

                                      > Let me know what you all think. I love to hear from you.

                                      > 06:10:00

                                      06:10:00

                                    • oneacmename
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                                        Ahh ok I see now about reaper. I ordered some advanced dollies from them through my local comic shop.

                                        What dollies do you use? I have been using corks for my sculpting bases read it somewhere and thought oh yea that makes sense.

                                        Altho I don't ever plan on trying to do this for money. I was curious how much places pay for minis... The amount of time that goes into doing these things doesn't seem like you could really ever sell them for a price that made it worth it.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                                          I have the skeleton dollies but I use wire mainly (florist wire or just
                                          metal wire, some people solder dollies together but I just twist them if
                                          they need joined and add putty over it. The giant I am making is a wire
                                          frame and was my Dragonborn figure.

                                          I use cork as a starting base it makes for easy holding and does make for a
                                          large number of poses.

                                          I am not sure on prices the range depends on the artist (better you are more
                                          well know the higher the price tag) figure size adds into price and most
                                          important is demand. I think it would be cool to have some figures that I
                                          make end up in production, but I am a teacher for a career and this is
                                          something that I have been meaning to start doing for years I just did not
                                          have the self confidence to pursue it. I spoke with Gen Van Horne and
                                          several other sculptors last year at Gen Con they were all very helpful and
                                          encouraged me to work on pieces. I was gun ho when I came home and practiced
                                          heads for a few days then school started up and I was caught up in work my
                                          family life in-general and did not get to do much of anything until April
                                          this year, which I only was able to start a few figures and get some basics
                                          done before life kicked me again. This summer has been full of extra work so
                                          I have really only had a few weeks to make the figures I have posted I am
                                          hoping to get into more seminar classes at Gen Con and putting guide help to
                                          work instead of trial and error. There is a contest for sculpts at Gen Con
                                          and I plan on entering with my figures to see how I do. I ll put up results
                                          on my Facebook and pictures as well. I will ask about price ranges and see
                                          how the current economy is effecting companies and artist.

                                          Sean

                                          _____

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                                            I have been using florist wire myself too but I did order some dollies for when I start doing human type figures.

                                            Yea if you do find out on the price its would just be cool to know.

                                            I don't think I will be good enough to sell anything for a long time and I don't really think it would ever be worth the time for me to do it. Only as a hobby can I see this working out :)

                                            About the hosting forgot to mention I would like to set something up for people to be able to host their pics and such with me for free. If anyone knows of any free software that will work and make it easy for me and the users let me know.