Re: [1listSculpting] Bulking an armature

  • CLIFFORD LINTON
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11, 2009
      A couple of things I do when making an armature -
      First twist the wire (about 22 gauge florist wire usually) in a semi-braid, a this helps give the putty a little something to grab onto. Then I form it into the basic shape I want. For humanoid shapes, that's generally an upside-down v-shape to which I attach a straight piece for the main body. There are a number of ways to do this, it depends on the individual artist and whatever method of assembling an armature they're comfortable with.
      Second, as a start,apply a super-thin layer of putty over the wire and allow it to cure. I usually do this by rolling out a thin "rod" about the same thickness or slightly thinner than the twisted wire, try to get it to cover the wire as smoothly and evenly as possible, you may want to go back and file and trim it after it cures to get it even. You want to be careful here as to how thick you make it as it can affect your final sculpt, making your wrists and ankles too thick for example.
      Check the 1listSculpting files section for tips on this and other sculpting methods. It can be a good resource.

      Cliff
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 11, 2009
        If you warm the putty with a hair dryer, it will be much more sticky
        and easier to apply to the armature.

      • Lust_82@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2009
          Or use sculpey

        • ptsuk@concentric.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2009
            What i do is rough up the surface of the armature with some rough sandpaper
            even works on paper clips

            _____

            If you warm the putty with a hair dryer, it will be much more sticky
            and easier to apply to the armature.

            On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:45 AM, aliengod33 wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > After making the armature I am having trouble getting my putty to stay
            > on the armature. is there something that I can cover the armature in
            > to make it more rigid and accepting of putty?
            >
            > Damian

          • Dan Lynn
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2009
              not sure what you're using, but I use bent paperclips and found that there
              are clips with rings/grooves cut into them to make them hold paper better.
              Not suprisingly, they also hold onto putty better. I have to guess that you
              could get regular wire that is grooved like that as well.

              -Daniel

              What i do is rough up the surface of the armature with some rough
              sandpaper
              even works on paper clips

              _____

              If you warm the putty with a hair dryer, it will be much more sticky
              and easier to apply to the armature.

              On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:45 AM, aliengod33 wrote:

              > Hello everyone,
              >
              > After making the armature I am having trouble getting my putty to stay
              > on the armature. is there something that I can cover the armature in
              > to make it more rigid and accepting of putty?
              >
              > Damian

            • Derek Schubert
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 17, 2009
                My armatures are simple 20-gauge copper wire -- twisted at the head and
                along the torso, and just single bare wires for the arms and legs.

                I only rarely have a problem getting Green Stuff to stick to bare wire -
                - but if I do, I dab at the wire with an expendable bit of fresh putty
                repeatedly, as if to remove the invisible stick-resistant film. When
                the putty starts to tear a little as I pull it off the wire, I know
                that the wire is ready to form a good bond, so then I add the real
                first layer of putty.

                Since cured Brown Stuff can also be hard to get new Green Stuff to
                stick to, I use this same technique: dab-dab-dab until it sticks.

                Hope it helps,
                Derek Schubert

                --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "aliengod33" <aliengod33@...>