Melting resin?

  • hivetrygon
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2009
      Well I've been casting miniatures in resin for almost a year now this
      summer and never had the disaster I had this weekend. I use a good
      silicon which has never needed release agent since I've bought it. I
      put a fine dusting of talc powder and they pop right out.

      I've been using alumalite regular and white. Pushing the molds further
      and further with tiny parts using pressure I tried a new product with
      a slightly longer working time. The product was bad, no question about it.

      It set for over 24 hours slowly curing from the outside in, opposite
      what resins do, and liquid in the middle. I also found to my dread it
      stuck fast, I mean stuck, to the silicon. I could not believe my eyes.

      Here is my question, what could I use to melt this resin out? I am
      going to try a few such as turpentine, acetone, and mineral sipirts on
      some test rubber cubes to see if it eats it first. Just wondering if
      anyone else had tried this here. BTW some of my sculpts cast in
      alumalite resin:
      http://trollsforge.com/dwarves/dwarf1.jpg
      http://trollsforge.com/undead/wraith1.jpg
      http://trollsforge.com/alternative/slgdem1.jpg
      http://trollsforge.com/monstrous/gatroll1.jpg

      As you can see, never had trouble before. I'm asking for a refund
      first but if they deny it I'll be posting all over the web where not
      to buy. I'm giving them a chance to admit it was their fault first.
      Ed
      http://trollsforge.com
    • Iron Rook
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
        Unfortunately, my opinion is that you have experienced a chemical
        lock. I've been casting resin for 15 years and have not found
        anything to melt or dissolve resin from the mold without damaging the
        mold. My suggestion is to just chalk it up as a disaster, don't waste
        time trying to salvage the molds and just move on to make new ones.

        Were the molds you tried the new product in fresh molds or previously
        used with alumalite. Sometimes the residue from different products
        can mix with disastrous results.