How to start sculpting a robe?

  • nighterya
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2008
      Hi! This is my first message on this historical mailinglist so nice to
      meet you all :) For my first project I'd like to create a simple 50mm
      nazgul. I choose it becouse I think it is just a big robe over a
      sausage wire :) and 50mm is big enough to start. I read lots of
      tutorial, but missing on this topic so I really don't imagine where to
      start doing a robe, any help? Thanks in advance!
    • Martin Nordgren
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2008
        --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "nighterya" <nighterya@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi! This is my first message on this historical mailinglist so nice to
        > meet you all :) For my first project I'd like to create a simple 50mm
        > nazgul. I choose it becouse I think it is just a big robe over a
        > sausage wire :) and 50mm is big enough to start. I read lots of
        > tutorial, but missing on this topic so I really don't imagine where to
        > start doing a robe, any help? Thanks in advance!

        Hello and velcome to the list.

        This is a short summary of what I would do: first do the aimple basic
        shape and when that has cured, put on the folds/wrinkles step by step.

        It might be a good idea to initially add extremely thin fold lines to
        serve as a guide.

        here's a tutorial that might be interesting:

        http://www.creafigs.com/page.php?id=229
      • H. Giger
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2008
          Simone,

          I don't know how much art experience you have, but the best advice on this I can give you on this is to quit thinking of it as a robe. Think in terms of shapes. Think on underlying structure. Look at your armature, and indicate the high spots of the form, where the body will affect the outer layers. Then think of the robe and the draping folds as individual shapes. Clay, or putty will not drape, so you will have to make follow the desired shapes.

          What may help would be to have someone model for you wearing a "robe" and pose in the fashion you desire. This helps me a great deal when working on a painting. In a painting I am not just looking at positive and negative shapes, but also light and dark shapes which help indicate a three dimensional form on a two dimensional surface, but the principle is the same.

          Andrew

          Andrew Abney
          www.andrewsartwalk.blogspot.com

          "Advertising reaches out to touch the fantasy part of people's lives. and you know, most people's fantasies are pretty sad." -- Frederik Pohl

          "You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman. Stuff you pay good money for in later life." -- Emo Phillips