Re: 10mm Armitures

  • Jim Henbest
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2007
      --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "boessenisse" <kat@...> wrote:

      > Hi,

      Thanks for the response. I haven't master the digital cameras yet but
      hope to when I find the time :}. My big problem is the arms. I am
      used to creating something with wire. Sounds like in ths scale that
      may not be needed. I am working on ancients so I will need to do some
      throwing positions. Do you make the whole arm length in Brown stuff or
      just a stub?

      Thanks
      Jim
    • boessenisse
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
        Hi Jim

        When i do a throwing (-pointing,-waving, etc) arm, I sculpt the
        upper torso first and finish it. Then I drill holes where the wire
        for the arms go and superglue them in place. I build up the basic
        shape of the arm in brownstuff, let it harden and then sculpt the
        whole arm in greenstuff.

        Hope this helps.

        Peter

        --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Henbest" <tuudawgs@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "boessenisse" <kat@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        >
        > Thanks for the response. I haven't master the digital cameras yet
        but
        > hope to when I find the time :}. My big problem is the arms. I
        am
        > used to creating something with wire. Sounds like in ths scale
        that
        > may not be needed. I am working on ancients so I will need to do
        some
        > throwing positions. Do you make the whole arm length in Brown
        stuff or
        > just a stub?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Jim

      • Michael Lovejoy
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
          Sorry to butt in on this, but I've just started sculpting 10mm ancients too, and have a question - you superglue the arms, does this not cause a problem with moulding/casting?
          Regards,
          Michael Lovejoy

          wrote:

          > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "boessenisse" <kat@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          >
          > Thanks for the response. I haven't master the digital cameras yet
          but
          > hope to when I find the time :}. My big problem is the arms. I
          am
          > used to creating something with wire. Sounds like in ths scale
          that
          > may not be needed. I am working on ancients so I will need to do
          some
          > throwing positions. Do you make the whole arm length in Brown
          stuff or
          > just a stub?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Jim

        • Iron Rook
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
            It depends on who is molding. Yes if the master mold is made with
            organic rubber it will cause problems. Most molders have switched to
            low-temp silicone rubber for masters so sculptors can use super-glue,
            plasti-card, fimo and the like. Molders tried to tell sculptors for
            years and years to not use materials and glues that would melt to no
            avail. No matter how much we yelled at you we still got figures made
            in fimo and plastic held together with super-glue. So, we had to
            modify our methods to accommodate the sculpts we were getting:-)

            IronRook
            http://www.fortressfigures.com/ironrook/index.html

            On Dec 1, 2007, at 6:01 AM, Michael Lovejoy wrote:

            > Sorry to butt in on this, but I've just started sculpting 10mm
            > ancients too, and have a question - you superglue the arms, does
            > this not cause a problem with moulding/casting?
            > Regards,
            > Michael Lovejoy
            >
            > Hi Jim
            >
            > When i do a throwing (-pointing,-waving, etc) arm, I sculpt the
            > upper torso first and finish it. Then I drill holes where the wire
            > for the arms go and superglue them in place. I build up the basic
            > shape of the arm in brownstuff, let it harden and then sculpt the
            > whole arm in greenstuff.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Peter
            >
            > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Henbest" <tuudawgs@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "boessenisse" <kat@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Thanks for the response. I haven't master the digital cameras yet
            > but
            > > hope to when I find the time :}. My big problem is the arms. I
            > am
            > > used to creating something with wire. Sounds like in ths scale
            > that
            > > may not be needed. I am working on ancients so I will need to do
            > some
            > > throwing positions. Do you make the whole arm length in Brown
            > stuff or
            > > just a stub?
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Jim

          • Michael Lovejoy
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
              Thanks for the info! Shame, really, as I've been careful to use nothing but GS and brass wire in my last few sculpts...
              Still, I suppose that means I'll have a wider choice of molders to use!
              Regards,
              Michael Lovejoy

            • Jim Henbest
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
                --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, Iron Rook <ironrook@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I have solved the probelm
                with a piece of 26 guage twisted in a loop for the arms and legs and a
                piece of 28 guage wraped around these sticking into the loop for the
                head.

                Thanks,

                Jim H
              • clibinarium
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Hi

                  I use fuse wire. I buy it on a piece of card in the local hardware
                  shop. It has three gauges per card 5/15/30 amp. 15 is good for the
                  body and legs. Once thats done I drill holes for the arms and head.
                  5amp is quite thin so I twist it into a coil, by twirlling arround
                  using a paper clip. when I remove the paper clip the coiled lenght
                  has a loop at the end, which I use as the hand as you can secure
                  weapons in the loop.

                  Clibinarium

                  wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I finsihed my first 10mm figure, which I think turned out well.
                  The
                  > head is a little big but after molding and casting fits in well
                  with
                  > Pendraken. The most frustrating part was making the armiture. Do
                  any
                  > of you more experienced folks have any suggestions on how to make
                  this
                  > process simpler?
                  >
                  > Any sugeestions will be appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Jim H.

                • Jim Henbest
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
                    --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "clibinarium" <clibinarium@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi
                    >
                    > I use fuse wire. I buy it on a piece of card in the local hardware
                    > shop. It has three gauges per card 5/15/30 amp. 15 is good for the
                    > body and legs. Once thats done I drill holes for the arms and head.
                    > 5amp is quite thin so I twist it into a coil, by twirlling arround
                    > using a paper clip. when I remove the paper clip the coiled lenght
                    > has a loop at the end, which I use as the hand as you can secure
                    > weapons in the loop.
                    >
                    > Clibinarium

                    I would just like to say I love your late Romans and thanks for the
                    help. I like the idea of the paper clip. What do you drill the hole
                    with though?

                    Jim H.
                  • clibinarium
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Cheers!

                      I use a small archimedes screw drill along with very thin drill bits
                      from Mircobox. Got mine in a hobby shop, I imagine GW stores do them
                      too?

                      I usually drill metal dollies that I have made. Drilling through
                      greenstuff can be a bit trick, might be better to use brownstuff for
                      the torso.

                      Clibinarium