The Model Maker's Podcast

  • David
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi,

      I have just launched a new podcast called:-

      The Model Maker's Podcast

      As the title suggests it is for model makers and figure sculptors.

      I will have a regular figure sculpting section.

      Show no.1 discusses photographing miniatures and also sculpting
      putties.

      I have linked to 1listsculpting in the show and hope it generates
      some new members for the list.

      Cheers
      David Drage
      The Model Maker's Podcast
      http://www.themodelmakerspodcast.com
      david@...
    • jedideni
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi David,

        Nice job on the podcast. The transition between segments is pretty
        cool, although it took me by suprise when I first heard it. ha-ha!

        You mentioned that you were out of model making for a while. Did you
        find it easy to get back into both business-wise and skill-wise. Were
        your skills rusty or covered in cobwebs? Just curious.

        I'm looking forward to your next podcast.

        Dennis

        --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "David" <rigante@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have just launched a new podcast called:-
        >
        > The Model Maker's Podcast
        >
        > As the title suggests it is for model makers and figure sculptors.
        >
        > I will have a regular figure sculpting section.
        >
        > Show no.1 discusses photographing miniatures and also sculpting
        > putties.
        >
        > I have linked to 1listsculpting in the show and hope it generates
        > some new members for the list.
        >
        > Cheers
        > David Drage
        > The Model Maker's Podcast
        > http://www.themodelmakerspodcast.com
        > david@...

      • David
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
          Hi Dennis,

          Although I was out of modelmaking I was working as atecnician in an
          art school. I was actually based in the jewellery/3D design
          workshops for 9 years, so although the work was not technically
          modelmaking, there was an awful lot of cross-over (and my model
          making training basically got me the job).

          After that I moved to a sculpture/wood and metalworking workshop so
          I got plenty of practice on the tablesaw, and the like (as well as
          welding and large timber construction). Which is an absolute
          essential if you are working in the professional modelmaking
          industry!

          As for the transition sound effect between segments on the show, it
          was a bit loud wasn't it! I am sourcing some music for the show,
          that I can use as a regular theme tune (I have a friend that writes
          and plays music). So hopefully the links will be a little more
          melodic next time!

          --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "jedideni" <denheinz@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi David,
          >
          > Nice job on the podcast. The transition between segments is pretty
          > cool, although it took me by suprise when I first heard it. ha-ha!
          >
          > You mentioned that you were out of model making for a while. Did
          you
          > find it easy to get back into both business-wise and skill-wise.
          Were
          > your skills rusty or covered in cobwebs? Just curious.
          >
          > I'm looking forward to your next podcast.
          >

          > Dennis
        • jedideni
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
            Model Maker = Jack of All Trades. You probably fit right in without
            too much transition then.

            Jewelry workshop? I'm assuming that you've used carving wax? Have you
            tried creating miniatures with it? I would think that a good hard
            carving wax would be faster and more forgiving than the epoxies, but
            I have yet to give it a try. I'm just getting into the small scale
            figures area and I'm not too familiar with sculpting so small yet.

            Just thinking out loud.

            Dennis

            --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "David" <rigante@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dennis,
            >
            > Although I was out of modelmaking I was working as atecnician in an
            > art school. I was actually based in the jewellery/3D design
            > workshops for 9 years, so although the work was not technically
            > modelmaking, there was an awful lot of cross-over (and my model
            > making training basically got me the job).
            >
            > After that I moved to a sculpture/wood and metalworking workshop so
            > I got plenty of practice on the tablesaw, and the like (as well as
            > welding and large timber construction). Which is an absolute
            > essential if you are working in the professional modelmaking
            > industry!
            >
            > As for the transition sound effect between segments on the show, it
            > was a bit loud wasn't it! I am sourcing some music for the show,
            > that I can use as a regular theme tune (I have a friend that writes
            > and plays music). So hopefully the links will be a little more
            > melodic next time!
            >
            > Cheers
            > David Drage
            > The Model Maker's Podcast
            > http://www.themodelmakerspodcast.com
            > david@...
          • David
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2006
              Dennis,

              I have used carving wax for various jewellery purposes, but I have
              never tried to sculpt figures with it.

              I think the main problem sould be casting. You would need to do a
              silicon mould and get a metal master before you could go to
              vulcanising.

              It is an extra stage that most of companies would not be happy with.

              David

              wrote:
              > Jewelry workshop? I'm assuming that you've used carving wax? Have
              you
              > tried creating miniatures with it? I would think that a good hard
              > carving wax would be faster and more forgiving than the epoxies,
              but
              > I have yet to give it a try. I'm just getting into the small scale
              > figures area and I'm not too familiar with sculpting so small yet.
              >
              > Just thinking out loud.
              >

              > Dennis
              >

              > --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "David" <rigante@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Dennis,
              > >
              > > Although I was out of modelmaking I was working as atecnician in
              an
              > > art school. I was actually based in the jewellery/3D design
              > > workshops for 9 years, so although the work was not technically
              > > modelmaking, there was an awful lot of cross-over (and my model
              > > making training basically got me the job).
              > >
              > > After that I moved to a sculpture/wood and metalworking workshop
              so
              > > I got plenty of practice on the tablesaw, and the like (as well
              as
              > > welding and large timber construction). Which is an absolute
              > > essential if you are working in the professional modelmaking
              > > industry!
              > >
              > > As for the transition sound effect between segments on the show,
              it
              > > was a bit loud wasn't it! I am sourcing some music for the show,
              > > that I can use as a regular theme tune (I have a friend that
              writes
              > > and plays music). So hopefully the links will be a little more
              > > melodic next time!
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > David Drage
              > > The Model Maker's Podcast
              > > http://www.themodelmakerspodcast.com
              > > david@

            • jedideni
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2006
                Howdy David,

                I was thinking that there might be a trade off in terms of the extra
                step between the master and vulcanizing. Possibly faster, but with
                the cost of the extra molds factored in....?

                I'm still new to the whole world of minis. I've got some things to
                learn about it yet. I guess I won't find out if I don't ask ;)

                I'm working on some figures now, maybe I'll put up some pics when I
                get somewhere "visual" with them.