New Member

  • pytharnia
    Message 1 of 89 , May 31, 2006
      Hello all,

      I am a new member of the list. I am interested in learning to sculpt
      miniatures for models of ancient Rome I wish to construct. Unlike
      standard gaming scale, however, my scale is 1:100 which is slightly
      smaller than GW minis.

      I have need of ancient Romans and their abundant statuary.

      Kolobite
    • Jeff LaMarche
      Message 89 of 89 , Aug 6, 2008
        Welcome, Ben. Group's been kinda quiet lately, but there are a lot of
        people lurking, including many professionals (which I am NOT, so take
        everything I say with a grain of salt). Check out the list FAQ - it's
        a little out of date in some ways, but contains tons of really good
        information, much of it contributed by pros and very serious
        hobbyists. If you have a question, check the FAQ before asking, you
        just might find the answer in there. If it's not answered there, then
        sculpt away.

        > I was looking at the DnD minis game and although the game seems like
        > it would be really fun I was fairly disappointed in the quality of
        > the models themselves.

        I don't know who sculpts those, and they are definitely inconsistent
        in quality, but I think the main problem is with the metal dies they
        use to produce the plastic figures cheaply along with the mass-
        production paint jobs which can't compare to even a mediocre table-top
        paint job. That being said, the sculpting is pretty good on many of
        them.

        Also, just a general point of list etiquette: Although constructive
        criticism is always okay, harsh general comments about figures ("dude,
        that mini sucks!") are discouraged because the sculptor who made them
        might just be reading the list.

        Unless they were sculpted by Johnson Twine. I'm not sure if he's still
        sculpting or reading the list, but he's got a pretty thick skin, and
        it's okay to talk badly about him.

        > I wasnt planning on making my own really but then stummbled upon this
        > group and various other website and thought "Yeah this seems like a
        > good, fun idea. I generally like making my own things why not
        > minis". I have converted a fair few GW figures but nothing really
        > major with only some minor greenstuff usage.

        Making your own is fun, rewarding, and tough as hell. But it'll keep
        you out of trouble. ;)

        > So might try my first sculpt this weekend. Have an idea of a
        > armored/mecha-ish figure (and hopefully this will mean somewhat
        > easier as there arent any organic parts)

        You might want to re-think that, actually. Organic parts are actually
        much easier in putty then mechanical things. Because of the tendency
        of the putty to mellow (especially GS, but ProCreate and Brown Stuff
        do it too) while it cures, it's a lot of work to get good, crisp,
        mechanical edges, and smooth flat, bubble-free surfaces on sculpts
        with large surfaces and many sharp edges. If you want a good starting
        subject, go with a nice monster, and orc, goblin, troll or something
        else where if you're off a bit on your scale or anatomy it's not as
        noticeable. Not telling you what to do, just pointing out that your
        assumption about what's "easy" might not end up being true.

        Best of luck with it, and post pictures of the stuff you sculpt.

        Jeff