Treeman for Warhammer Fantasy Battle Woodelf Army

  • suckydsl
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2005
      Everyone,

      this is my first post and I thought that I would try doing a treeman
      as my 1st attempt at doing a miniature due to hopefully it being
      easier to work on a larger one. I'm starting my 3rd army and would
      like to do a complete scratch built army of WE Forest Spirits
      (Dryads, Treekin, and 2 treeman (one ancient one for the general)).
      So I will be seeking some assistance as I crack the code for
      miniatures.

      So I have picked up two sets of scu[ting tools (one from Michaels)
      and another from a hobby shop online. I have some green stuff and
      sculpey oven-bake clay (using that to rough up the treeman and
      treekin due to size), and some milliput coming in the mail with the
      other scupting tools. I picked up some 18 and 20 gauge wire from
      armatrons and have my 1st treeman roughly formed.

      I looked at the GW treeman and they aren't large enough for me to
      think they are "treeman" so using my son's HE dragon for scale I
      like I stated have it roughed out. This one is currently around 8"
      high and with limbs out measures about 6" wide. To explain the two
      trunks I am going to make it look like two trees that wrapped when
      they were younger. I'm going to finish getting him formed and will
      post some pics but in the mean time is there any basic articles that
      are worth reading or things that I haven't covered? My scupting
      skills are ruimentary at this point so I can use all the help I can
      get.

      M.J.H.
    • Geordie Hicks
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
        If you check out the recent issues of white dwarf there was a pretty good article on a scratch built treeman. I think it may have been the second most recent magazine.

        suckydsl <thunderersb@...> wrote:Everyone,

[...]

        Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Green stuff Games workshop

        ---------------------------------

      • mark hart
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
          Yes. I read that article and have been re-looking for the AWOL magazine for
          the last week, dang son must have hidden it. I'll post some pics tonight of
          the roughed treeman that I did so far. It doesn't look to bad but I don't
          think it is where I want to go with the project. Still doesn't look
          non-human enough, but for a 1st attempt it wasn't too bad.

          >From: Geordie Hicks <oblivion_805@...>
          >To: 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [1listSculpting] Treeman for Warhammer Fantasy Battle Woodelf
          >Army
          >Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 19:43:55 -0800 (PST)
          >
          >If you check out the recent issues of white dwarf there was a pretty good
          >article on a scratch built treeman. I think it may have been the second
          >most recent magazine.
          >
          >suckydsl <thunderersb@...> wrote:Everyone,
          >
          >this is my first post and I thought that I would try doing a treeman
          >as my 1st attempt at doing a miniature due to hopefully it being
          >easier to work on a larger one. I'm starting my 3rd army and would
          >like to do a complete scratch built army of WE Forest Spirits
          >(Dryads, Treekin, and 2 treeman (one ancient one for the general)).
          >So I will be seeking some assistance as I crack the code for
          >miniatures.
          >
          >So I have picked up two sets of scu[ting tools (one from Michaels)
          >and another from a hobby shop online. I have some green stuff and
          >sculpey oven-bake clay (using that to rough up the treeman and
          >treekin due to size), and some milliput coming in the mail with the
          >other scupting tools. I picked up some 18 and 20 gauge wire from
          >armatrons and have my 1st treeman roughly formed.
          >
          >I looked at the GW treeman and they aren't large enough for me to
          >think they are "treeman" so using my son's HE dragon for scale I
          >like I stated have it roughed out. This one is currently around 8"
          >high and with limbs out measures about 6" wide. To explain the two
          >trunks I am going to make it look like two trees that wrapped when
          >they were younger. I'm going to finish getting him formed and will
          >post some pics but in the mean time is there any basic articles that
          >are worth reading or things that I haven't covered? My scupting
          >skills are ruimentary at this point so I can use all the help I can
          >get.
          >
          >M.J.H.

          >Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Green stuff Games workshop

          >---------------------------------

        • mark hart
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
            As promised this is the roughed up treeman possed beside and older Ogre
            figure (not the new plastics) to give you a sense of scale. Unfortunately
            the picture is kind of rough. I will be stripping the clay off the armature
            to rework it a bit. I didn't like that the arms while long didn't look
            tree-ish enough. I will add and extra hand or two to each one on some short
            limbs to break with the human mold and also rework the legs and torso more.

            However, as this was my 1st attempt I am pretty pleased, obviously I never
            baked it or sanded it but I am happy that I got this far along. I also want
            to make the face les human and more in line with the current tree-kin faces
            that are on GW figures.

            Any Suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated and I am pretty thick
            skinned so please be honest ... and constructive if possible.

            [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ThundererSB/Custom%20Minis/TreemanComposite.jpg%5b/IMG]

            M.J.H.

            >From: Geordie Hicks <oblivion_805@...>
            >To: 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [1listSculpting] Treeman for Warhammer Fantasy Battle Woodelf
            >Army
            >Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 19:43:55 -0800 (PST)
            >
            >If you check out the recent issues of white dwarf there was a pretty good
            >article on a scratch built treeman. I think it may have been the second
            >most recent magazine.
            >
            >suckydsl <thunderersb@...> wrote:Everyone,
            >
            >this is my first post and I thought that I would try doing a treeman
            >as my 1st attempt at doing a miniature due to hopefully it being
            >easier to work on a larger one. I'm starting my 3rd army and would
            >like to do a complete scratch built army of WE Forest Spirits
            >(Dryads, Treekin, and 2 treeman (one ancient one for the general)).
            >So I will be seeking some assistance as I crack the code for
            >miniatures.
            >
            >So I have picked up two sets of scu[ting tools (one from Michaels)
            >and another from a hobby shop online. I have some green stuff and
            >sculpey oven-bake clay (using that to rough up the treeman and
            >treekin due to size), and some milliput coming in the mail with the
            >other scupting tools. I picked up some 18 and 20 gauge wire from
            >armatrons and have my 1st treeman roughly formed.
            >
            >I looked at the GW treeman and they aren't large enough for me to
            >think they are "treeman" so using my son's HE dragon for scale I
            >like I stated have it roughed out. This one is currently around 8"
            >high and with limbs out measures about 6" wide. To explain the two
            >trunks I am going to make it look like two trees that wrapped when
            >they were younger. I'm going to finish getting him formed and will
            >post some pics but in the mean time is there any basic articles that
            >are worth reading or things that I haven't covered? My scupting
            >skills are ruimentary at this point so I can use all the help I can
            >get.
            >
            >M.J.H.

            >Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Green stuff Games workshop

            >---------------------------------

          • Brian Cooke
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
              Well, he's certainly HUGE, isn't he? :) Looks pretty good to me so
              far. Out of curiousity, why is the face so far down on the torso? I
              wouldn't have thought of putting it there.

              -Brian

              --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "mark hart" <thunderersb@h...>
              wrote:

              > As promised this is the roughed up treeman possed beside and older
              Ogre
              > figure (not the new plastics) to give you a sense of scale.
              Unfortunately
              > the picture is kind of rough. I will be stripping the clay off the
              armature
              > to rework it a bit. I didn't like that the arms while long didn't
              look
              > tree-ish enough. I will add and extra hand or two to each one on
              some short
              > limbs to break with the human mold and also rework the legs and
              torso more.

              > However, as this was my 1st attempt I am pretty pleased, obviously
              I never
              > baked it or sanded it but I am happy that I got this far along. I
              also want
              > to make the face les human and more in line with the current tree-
              kin faces
              > that are on GW figures.
              >
              > Any Suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated and I am pretty
              thick
              > skinned so please be honest ... and constructive if possible.
              >
              > [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ThundererSB/Custom%
              20Minis/TreemanComposite.jpg[/IMG]

              > M.J.H.
              >
              > >From: Geordie Hicks <oblivion_805@y...>
              > >To: 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: Re: [1listSculpting] Treeman for Warhammer Fantasy Battle
              Woodelf
              > >Army
              > >Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 19:43:55 -0800 (PST)
              > >
              > >If you check out the recent issues of white dwarf there was a
              pretty good
              > >article on a scratch built treeman. I think it may have been the
              second
              > >most recent magazine.
              > >
              > >suckydsl <thunderersb@h...> wrote:Everyone,
              > >
              > >this is my first post and I thought that I would try doing a
              treeman
              > >as my 1st attempt at doing a miniature due to hopefully it being
              > >easier to work on a larger one. I'm starting my 3rd army and would
              > >like to do a complete scratch built army of WE Forest Spirits
              > >(Dryads, Treekin, and 2 treeman (one ancient one for the general)).
              > >So I will be seeking some assistance as I crack the code for
              > >miniatures.
              > >
              > >So I have picked up two sets of scu[ting tools (one from Michaels)
              > >and another from a hobby shop online. I have some green stuff and
              > >sculpey oven-bake clay (using that to rough up the treeman and
              > >treekin due to size), and some milliput coming in the mail with the
              > >other scupting tools. I picked up some 18 and 20 gauge wire from
              > >armatrons and have my 1st treeman roughly formed.
              > >
              > >I looked at the GW treeman and they aren't large enough for me to
              > >think they are "treeman" so using my son's HE dragon for scale I
              > >like I stated have it roughed out. This one is currently around 8"
              > >high and with limbs out measures about 6" wide. To explain the two
              > >trunks I am going to make it look like two trees that wrapped when
              > >they were younger. I'm going to finish getting him formed and will
              > >post some pics but in the mean time is there any basic articles
              that
              > >are worth reading or things that I haven't covered? My scupting
              > >skills are ruimentary at this point so I can use all the help I can
              > >get.
              > >
              > >M.J.H.

              > >Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Green stuff Games workshop

              Service.

              > >---------------------------------

            • mark hart
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
                Well once again I was trying to go for less of a humanoid look so I figured
                put it far down on the torso like a hollowed out spot like you see on a
                typical tree. I am reworking the mini to be smaller and more treelike with a
                less humanoid face. I learned quite a bit on the 1st go so this is just
                taking the concept farther along the thought pattern based on a little
                experience... now I have a better defined concept and will be naming them so
                I can theme them for my army.

                Hopefully the new draft pics will be posted by monday/tuesday. I won't bake
                the figures until I am semi happy with the mini so I can detail them with
                Greenstuff or milliput.

                Mark