Handedness

  • Neil Blue
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hello,

      I am still pretty new to this. I am right handed and I have a lot of
      problems sculpting the left hand side of my figures. Especially with
      the head, I seem to end up turn the head upside down to do the other
      side. Are there any techniques to help with this or is it just part of
      the challenge and I should just keep practicing?

      Thanks
      Neil
    • Sven Viking
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
        Nope- I do the same thing on occassion. The only problem with flipping it
        upside down that I have is that I have to 'tweak' it after to match the
        other side so that they dont look mismatched

        >From: "Neil Blue" <neil@...-geek.org>
        >To: 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [1listSculpting] Handedness
        >Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:31:22 -0000
        >
        >Hello,
        >
        >I am still pretty new to this. I am right handed and I have a lot of
        >problems sculpting the left hand side of my figures. Especially with
        >the head, I seem to end up turn the head upside down to do the other
        >side. Are there any techniques to help with this or is it just part of
        >the challenge and I should just keep practicing?
        >
        >Thanks
        >Neil

      • Jeff LaMarche
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
          > I am still pretty new to this. I am right handed and I have a lot of
          > problems sculpting the left hand side of my figures. Especially with
          > the head, I seem to end up turn the head upside down to do the other
          > side. Are there any techniques to help with this or is it just part of
          > the challenge and I should just keep practicing?

          Hmm... I've been known to do this as well. I've got no real advice
          for you, =-( but I'm hoping someone else does, because i'd love some
          help on this myself.

          i sometimes will switch my tool over to my left hand. I'm not
          ambidextrous, but I'm probably a tad more coordinated with my weak
          hand than most people are, as I didn't have use of my right hand for
          about six months in college and had to learn to do take notes and do
          some other things with my left. Even at that, I wouldn't attempt any
          more than the roughest work with my weak hand. Similarly, the upside-
          down trick is of limited usefulness for similar reasons.
        • Joel Patton
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
            Someone once mentioned making another set of tools to try and take
            advantage of their handedness. . . something about adding or reversing
            shapes or some such. Todd from Crocodile, if I remember correctly. I
            may not remember correctly, though. :)

            The classic story here is the Perry twin who lost a hand to a
            reenactment cannon accident. He immediately began learning to sculpt
            with his left hand, and I hear it didn't take long for him to do.

            Joel
            http://minutiae-minis.com
          • Neil Blue
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
              So the answer may be to try with both hands.

              I am just trying super sculpey for the first time, and it seems a bit
              easier when doing the off side, as the clay does not react so much to
              the angle at which I am using the tools.

              Neil
            • Sheryl
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
                I do the same thing with flipping it upside down to sculpt certain
                areas of the face. My solution for making sure I keep things even is
                by setting up a tilting makeup mirror with a magnified side, if you're
                a guy and not sure what I mean ask a girl she'll know. The tilting
                part means I can set it up at any angle and if it's set up right I can
                view it right side up while sculpting upside down and the fact that
                mirrors reverse images helps me make certain I keep features even they
                really stand out in reverse. It's also nice for checking areas that
                are almost impossible to sculpt without tipping like under chins or
                the bottom sides of hands and other limbs.

                --Sheryl

                --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Viking"