Re: Jeweler's Saw is frakked?

  • Scott Francek
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hey, thanks for all the help everyone. I'm on a mission again.

      --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Dave F" <goblinhood@y...>
      wrote:

      > Having been a jeweler for 14 years, I would suggest that now that
      > your getting a replacement saw, look into getting better blades
      than
      > X-acto sells. As suggested earlier, try Rio Grande or Gesswein or
      > any other jewelry supply house. Beeswax or any other blade
      dressing
      > is a must have. A bench pin would be handy too. Here is are a
      > couple of tips for you; When sawing, the wing nuts that hold the
      > blade may get in the way,( They ocassionally obstruct view or get
      > caught on some other part of what your cutting etc.), so put a
      > second handle on the other end and reverse the blade when you need
      > to. Most saws have a place for a second handle.
      > To prevent your saw from snagging in the middle of a cut. Use
      > something as a wedge to keep the two halves of what you are cutting
      > from closing behind the blade.
      > Better luck with the new blade

    • Aaron
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
        I was having similar problems with a Jeweler's Saw, and I finally gave up
        and bought a different style, made by Zona. Rather than having a
        replaceable blade, it's an inch wide saw blade attached to a wooden handle
        that works fine vertically and horizontally. I use it fairly often, and
        it's still going strong after ~2 years. You can check it out at:
        www.zonatool.com, under "razor saw". They carry them at my local hobby
        shop, and I've seen them other places. Even it you were to wear out the
        teeth, at $6 it's not tough to replace, and I can't imagine ever breaking
        the blade.

        Aaron

      • Scott Francek
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
          I've had one of these (but by X-Acto) for years and still going after
          cutting even metal minis with it. It's definitely still a part of my
          tool box. Heck at school I even managed to cut off hockey sticks with
          it when I had nothing else... When I gave up on my jeweler's saw over
          the weekend I pulled the razor saw out- but my cut was to be beneath
          a mini's arm and the "big" (1")" razor saw just wouldn't fit.