Re: Digest Number 0

  • Jason Cooper
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 1999
      Heya, well i'm J. To tell you the truth i have never done modelling before,
      though i have been wanting to do it for ages. Especially since the starwars
      miniatures went out of production here in aust. But i still think you may
      get a few ppl in here.:)
    • Richard Marchant
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 1999
        > Heya, well i'm J. To tell you the truth i have never done modelling
        before,
        > though i have been wanting to do it for ages. Especially since the
        starwars
        > miniatures went out of production here in aust. But i still think you may
        > get a few ppl in here.:)

        Ok- the first thing is to get your self kitted out. You need to get some
        modeling clay, and a modelling tool. Sinse you are starting out, I would
        recommend that you get something like super Sculpey. Most modelling
        materials will be two part putties, which are mixed together and then give
        you a working time. This is hard when you are starting off, as it means you
        have little time to practise your skills. As you are starting, you will not
        be as fast either, so you may find it tricky. super sculpey or the like
        allows you to mould a model with high detail and then bake in the oven when
        you are finished. It will set rock hard and stays soft untill you bake it.

        Modelling tools can be found arond the house, bits on a pen knife, cocktail
        sticks etc. but you really want to get a proper tool if you want to do the
        job properly. Go to your dentist (aaarrrghh!) and see if they have any old
        tools that you can have. Or go to any art shop and look for tempered metal
        high quality blades.

        Super sculpey found at:
        27 Warren Street
        London
        W1P 5DG
        Tel 0171 636 8565

        This is also where you can get loads of modelling stuff to, includeing good
        tools.

        By the way, I also "forge" my own models as well, by using rubber to make
        the mould and then by pouring in lead.

        C ya }8o]
        Riki