Help, Custom Sculpt.

  • Benjamin Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2004
      Hello,
      I need either Help with My First Sculpt
      (Equipment/Material's/information etc..) or Someone willing to Sculpt some
      small piece's.

      The Project i have in mind is Custom Head's to be made for Game's Workshop
      40K Orc's as well as Warhammer Orc's. Orc head's that Sit more inline with
      Lord Of The Ring Orc's from Movie 3 Return of the King...

      My problem is, I have never Sculpted Before, Not a single Item, Not even
      Conversion and Any Help would be a HUGE help. Article's/Pic's/Equipment
      List's/Material's needed etc...Anything i would need to do a Sculpt would be
      useful. Including Light Source's, and Best Sculpting Material to Use.
      Thank you for your time.
    • Illuminatus
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2004
        As a fellow newcomer to the list and debutant let me point you in the
        direction of the files section

        The "LIST FAQ and all kinds of reference files" folder is a treasure trove
        of info and ideal for beginners. I'm still going through it

        Simon

        At 10:05 01/05/2004, you wrote:
        >Hello,
        > I need either Help with My First Sculpt
        >(Equipment/Material's/information etc..) or Someone willing to Sculpt some
        >small piece's.
        >
        >The Project i have in mind is Custom Head's to be made for Game's Workshop
        >40K Orc's as well as Warhammer Orc's. Orc head's that Sit more inline with
        >Lord Of The Ring Orc's from Movie 3 Return of the King...
        >
        >My problem is, I have never Sculpted Before, Not a single Item, Not even
        >Conversion and Any Help would be a HUGE help. Article's/Pic's/Equipment
        >List's/Material's needed etc...Anything i would need to do a Sculpt would be
        >useful. Including Light Source's, and Best Sculpting Material to Use.
        > Thank you for your time.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129887veg/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705063511:HM/EXP=1083485104/A=1874381/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>
        >[]
        >
        >[]

        > *
        > <mailto:1listSculpting-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>1listSculpting-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > *
      • J
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2004
          Hi,

          First click on files ( left to this message ) and then check
          1listSculpting's FAQ and reference guides.

          When I did my first attempt ( few months ago ) I found useful Bob
          Lippman's mini guide ( Thanks Bob, it made me see that sculpting
          ain't suck a terrible thing to do, you know, at first anyone has
          enough self confidente ). Check it at:

          http://lyonstudio.com/Sculpting/Lippman2.htm

          Also the same site has some helpful articles at

          http://lyonstudio.com/Sculpting/SculptingIndex.htm

          or

          http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/sculpting.htm

          My quick introduction to sculpting:

          1- Tools: To start it will be enough with a tooth pick, a pin and
          hobby blades ( i.e. X-acto blades ). My first and second minis were
          totally sculpt with ONLY a pin :)

          2- Materials: wire and putty. With with wire you create a " stick
          man " as skeleton called armature where you add putty, "dressing" it
          with muscles, clothings...

          Ther are two main epoxy putty types:

          a) Green Stuff ( Kneadatite a.k.a Duro ): You mix two components,
          blue and yellow till it becomes green. Then it starts to harden in
          about an hour which is it's workable time. Green Stuff is like an old
          chewed bubblegum.

          b) Milliput: Also mixing 2 components, but this time the results once
          cured can be sanded or filed cause it hardens like rock. It's
          reactive to water. It isn't good if you plan to cast figures.
          Milliput is like,let's say paste or clay.

          Each material has it's good and bad things; Greenstuf ( from now on (
          GS ) is good for, for example robes and clothing ( and any natural
          shape ), and milliput is perfect fot weapons and blades since it can
          be sanded to make neat edges.

          Some people mix both milliput and gs to get best of em.

          Always remember:

          -work in layers; i.e. if you finish a hand, wait till it's safely
          hard and then go for the ring or whatever the hand is holding. This
          way you won't screw previous work cause it will be cured
          and "unruinable" :)

          -to make minis cure ( harden ) faster use a bulb; heat speeds the
          process so you won't wait long between layer and layer.

          -safety is first: keep putty away from you eyes, etc... be careful
          with blades and pins. You can stick a pin to something so it will be
          easyer to handle.

          -lubricate (water, spit, lip balm...) both your fingers and "tools";
          putty sticks to everything but your mini! Also use well lubricated
          tools or finger to gently smooth surfaces "erasing" finger prints
          from your work.

          I think it's enough for a nice starting. Games Workshop (citadel)
          sells both green stuff and sculpting tools but you can fiend better
          and cheaper shit elsewhere. It's your choice.

          To sculpt custom heads make a little bean of putty, let it harden and
          then apply more putty layers for details as nose, eyes, mouth,
          tooth... you can also use a skull as a dollie or just convert some
          existing ork heads.

          Sadly all this I told ain't suck a new thing but may be helpful to
          you. Patience and Practice will make you proud of you creations :)

          Good luck man

        • Bobby Jackson
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2004
            Start by reading the FAQs. There is much helpful info there.
            Bobby Jackson