Using styrene to make weapons

  • znmaster2003
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 29, 2004
      Hello, I'm new and I was wondering if I could get some tips on using
      sheet styrene to make weapons. I was wondering, what should I use to
      cut it? And, how do I get an edge on a sword. Thanks in
      advance....Isaias
    • Ming-Hua
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi,

        > Hello, I'm new and I was wondering if I could get some tips on
        using sheet styrene to make weapons. I was wondering, what should I
        use to cut it?
        Best is to use a sharp(!) hobby knife with a strong blade and a metal
        ruler to guide it. There are some special knives that will avoid the
        plastic raising at the edges but you shouldn't need those when you're
        doing weapons. That's more for plane and armoured vehicle panels etc.

        Cutting: It's better to cut a couple of times instead of trying to
        cut through the plastic in one go (less control, plastic may bend
        everywhere).

        For thicker sheets: cut through half the thickness and then break the
        sheet at the cut.
        Thin sheets: cut through the plastic

        > And, how do I get an edge on a sword.
        Scrape with the blade perpendicular to the sheets. You may need a
        support to keep the plastic from bending. Use file and sandpaper to
        finish.

        Last tip: liquid plastic modelling glues work best.

        Bye, Ming-Hua
      • BatHead207@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
          In a message dated 03/01/2004 3:47:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          minimaker@... writes:

          > Last tip: liquid plastic modelling glues work best.

          This is true, when gluing styrene to styrene, but if you must glue styrene to
          a dissimilar material, such as greenstuff or metal, cyanoacrylates or epoxy
          glues are better.

          Cliff Linton
          Sculptor for Grim Reaper Casting,
          Maker of the "Nasteez" line of Fantasy miniatures
          Contact:
          <A HREF="mailto:grc1991@...">mailto:grc1991@...</A>
          <A HREF="mailto:BatHead207@...">mailto:BatHead207@...</A>
          Phone: 1(610) 998-9277
          Fax: 1(610) 998-9279
          <A HREF="http://www.grimreapercasting.com">http://www.grimreapercasting.com</A>

        • Ming-Hua
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
            > This is true, when gluing styrene to styrene, but if you must glue
            styrene to a dissimilar material, such as greenstuff or metal,
            cyanoacrylates or epoxy glues are better.

            Correct. I should have mentioned that. Something else I just though
            off, polystyrene is fairly brittle so in some cases you may have to
            pin bonds or embed a metal rod in the part.

            Bye, Ming-Hua
          • Anders Swenson
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
              On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 08:46:17 -0000
              "Ming-Hua" <minimaker@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > > Hello, I'm new and I was wondering if I could get some tips on
              > using sheet styrene to make weapons. I was wondering, what should I
              > use to cut it?
              > Best is to use a sharp(!) hobby knife with a strong blade and a metal
              > ruler to guide it. There are some special knives that will avoid the
              > plastic raising at the edges but you shouldn't need those when you're
              > doing weapons. That's more for plane and armoured vehicle panels etc.
              >
              > Cutting: It's better to cut a couple of times instead of trying to
              > cut through the plastic in one go (less control, plastic may bend
              > everywhere).
              >
              > For thicker sheets: cut through half the thickness and then break the
              > sheet at the cut.
              > Thin sheets: cut through the plastic
              >
              > > And, how do I get an edge on a sword.
              > Scrape with the blade perpendicular to the sheets. You may need a
              > support to keep the plastic from bending. Use file and sandpaper to
              > finish.
              >
              > Last tip: liquid plastic modelling glues work best.
              >
              > Bye, Ming-Hua

              I usually bring styrene to a knife edge by carefully scraping the blunt edge
              down with a knife, working from both sides to make a symmetrical edge. But do
              whatever works.
              --Anders