Mica powders & wings

  • searcheratsea
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
      Greetings everyone. I just joined the sculpting group, and hope
      someone will be able to help me with a few questions I have. I've
      been lurking around here for a couple of months, great BB!

      I saw a post on here last week directing the poster to a place to
      purchase mica powder. It was a great site, with lots of varnishes,
      shellac and all sorts of things. Their prices were very good.
      Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it, and now I can't find the old
      post. Does anyone have a clue?

      Also, I am starting to sculpt winged creatures, but I want to make
      the wings detachable. What are your methods of making wings
      detachable on polymer clay figures? One method I tried was not very
      functional, as every time you picked up the figure, the wings fell
      off.

      My name is Kaern and I make stained glass and polymer clay-no mold-
      sculptures. Glad to be here, and thanks!
    • jppatton1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2003
        Welcome aboard.

        For wings, maybe a fairly deep piece of wire or rod that could mate up with
        a slightly larger piece of tubing sunk into the sculpture? The inside gauge
        of hobby copper tubing often matches the outside gauge of one a couple steps
        down.

        I hope that paragraph makes some sense. :)

        Joel
        the Mini-A-Week project at Minutiae
        http://www.minutiae-minis.com