large scale sculpting

  • docvenom2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30 11:27 AM
      Hey Im new to the group, and this is the only group I
      could find on sculpting...while I realize that most of the expertise
      here pertains to miniatures, I am an action figure customizer and am
      going to be trying to make my own action figure sculpt in 1:18 scale,
      and was wondering if anyone out there has any tips for me? so far Ive
      scupted heads and weapons,using both Super Sculpey and miliput, but
      for a whole figure Im not sure what to use. i know that an action
      figure is generally fully sculpted and then a mold is made, then a
      wax cast so that the articulation can be added this seems like a very
      time consuming process, so any tips will help Thanks!
    • Ming-Hua
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
        Hi,

        actually, there are a number of sculpting lists around that do larger
        scales. There are some for garage kits, fimo sculpting, etc. I'm only
        on two where the subject is discussed: figuresculpture and
        novice_sculptor. And there should also be a few lists over at the
        gremlins in the garage site (mostly garage kits though). I don't have
        the URL of that around right now.

        Still, don't let that keep you from posting here though. We'll help
        where we can.

        Bye, Ming-Hua
      • docvenom2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
          Thanks Ming-Hua, I appreciate that, but think Ill stick with this
          place fora bit, because if I can learn tips from great miniature
          sculpters large scale should be easy.

        • ma.k@juno.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
            The thing that makes me wonder tho is how big is something before its no
            longer a miniature? Seems like 1/20th (almost 4in tall?) is the high end
            of mini-ness, and yet what about the things that are to scale with them
            but in and of themselves, much bigger, like a 40k orc vs. a Titan?

            If we figure this out, we/I might be able to figure out which peice of
            ours/mine fits into what category. Or not. Meh.

            -Jon

            On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:08:21 -0000 "docvenom2000" <tmonfredi@...>
            writes:
            > Thanks Ming-Hua, I appreciate that, but think Ill stick with this
            > place fora bit, because if I can learn tips from great miniature
            > sculpters large scale should be easy.
            > >
            > > Still, don't let that keep you from posting here though. We'll
            > help
            > > where we can.
            > >
            > > Bye, Ming-Hua

            *** HOPE SPRINGS A TURTLE ***

            Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
          • docvenom2000
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
              --- well, I am working in 1:18 scale, gi joe figures (the smaller
              ones from the 80s)so its close I guess, Ill post a link to some of
              the dioramas and terrain Ive built a little later to give you a
              better idea.