Re: [1listSculpting] Backwards Sculpting

  • Tony Aldrich
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
      Hello, For years I always did the head first but after reading the advice of various other sculptors on this site I decide to change my mehtods and it really is easier to get the final proportions right by doing the legs and body first. It is far easier to see if the head is o.k. when it is matched to a torso..Tony Aldrich
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
        QUOTE

        "The number of heads that make the total height of a miniature is 5 1/2 to
        6 heads
        and that is non-canon for drawing or normal sculpting"

        I´ve made comparisions using diferent figs & brands, is a .ppt... How can
        I post it as reference for everybody?

      • chris dillon
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2003
          I'm so new to miniatures that I have only had my greestuff for about 2 weeks and have only sculpted one figure. But I make 7inch tall models as well, plus years of sculpture in various materials.

          Heres my 2 cents. I like the mini's that are called Warrior Smurfs. This type of mini is great for fantasy and not for someone making troops from a very real French Revolution.

          But I sculpt the whole figure in all areas at a time. I work on the head than an arm etc. This is the only way that I know you can keep a figure in some kind of accurate proportions.

          I glad to be here

          keithbvaughn <keithvaughn@...> wrote:
          Hi Dana, the stupid questions are the one that aren't asked >

          whole body and do the head last?

          I did my first sculpture leaving the head/face until last and
          regreted it. The posed and bulked out arms got in the way of putting
          my sculpting tool in the best position to do what I needed.

          to the head, I can't *see* it unless there is a body to attach it to
          and sculpt it by. Does this make sense?

          Yes but only if you're drawing in an action pose and need to
          determine interaction (Burne Hothgart) with his torso-legs-arms-head
          progression. Sculpting is 3-D and needs to be tackled differently.

          Month..and they all say do the head first, because you can judge the
          like 1/2 head for chin length etc etc or whatever...but thats just
          CONFUSING to me personally.

          They are saying the method used for sculptures which don't have an
          industry standard to measure against.(28mm) If you measure realistic
          miniatures you will find them a bit of a characture. The number of
          heads that make the total height of a miniature is 5 1/2 to 6 heads
          and that is non-canon for drawing or normal sculpting.

          bottom up (literally do the shoes, the pantaloons, petticoats, skirt,
          bodice, jewelry and wigging)....

          It's the same in mini sculpting but it is a bit more extreme, you
          have to build from the skeleton out.

          1. Armature.
          2. Wrap layer of epoxy putty or paint with 5-minute epoxy so the
          epoxy putty sticks to the wire armature.
          3. Bulking up the body to fill in the muscle mass properly.
          4. Final skin for the rough or finished nude depending on what you're
          sculpting.
          5. Dressing the mini like your doll, inner layers first to outer
          layers last.
          6. Equipment and details

          In step 3 the mini is built from the ground up: feet-legs-torso-head-
          arms to give the sculpture stability. Once the feet have anchored to
          to the cork and as the rest of it gets built up, you will notice the
          whole mini is stronger and stiffer allowing greater detail to be
          pressed in with your tool.

          Desire, Persistance & Practice; if you have all three of those you'll
          be good. Your learning curve is unique to yourself and will determine
          the time it takes for you to produce results acceptable to yourself.

          Post your minis and ask for critique and tips. The pros on this
          board are very generous with sharing information.

          Keith

          P.S. Be aware EVERY mini goes through an Ugly stage--like any piece
          of art. Persevere to finish any mini you do and don't be discouraged
          half way through.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Bobby Jackson
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2003
            > yup. makes plenty of sense. you might try to "greek" in the head first by
            > making a blob the size and shape of the skull where the head belongs. then do
            > the body and either refine the skull blob or resculpt the head from scratch.

            That's exactly the way I do it and it seems to work fine for me. Doing a
            mock up for size and positioning and then coming back at the end for face
            and clean up.
            Bobby Jackson
          • Zurik
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 14, 2003
              --- In 1listSculpting@yahoogroups.com, "Cindy Dukino" <cdukino@h...>
              wrote:
              > Makes perfect sence to me. I'm a relative newby as well, I tend to
              do
              > everything from the torso and legs, then the head and finally the
              > arms so they don't get in the way when sculpting the head. I need
              > body reference too, to get the head right, more or less, in
              > comparison to the rest. It still turns out a bit to big most of the
              > time though. Also the positioning (way the figure is looking etc.)
              is
              > easier with the rest already there I think. This goes even for when
              > I'm drawing to, make atleast a rough sketch of the body before
              making
              > the head more than a scribbly three lines egg, same reasons.
              >
              > Cindy

              Another beginner sculptor of minis here. I tend to follow the
              progression that Cindy describes. Usually complete the feet first,
              then the legs and body, then the head, and the arms, finishing off
              with additional details and refinements (extra bits on backpacks, for
              example).
              To avoid problems with scale I measure often (made my own little
              ruler in scale feet) and also keep other minis nearby to compare with.

              [When drawing though, I tend to either do eyes first or general rough
              shape in pencil and then start the inking with the eyes.]
            • sandywhite90
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 18, 2003
                With the armature set in the holder, it has been my style to move
                from the feet up.

                For me, I have found that usually the hair, beard and sometime the
                chin, need to lay over the clothing, so I like to have all of this
                done so I can just concentrate on the total head 'solution'.

                2-cents.
                Sandy