[1listSculpting] Green/Fimo Hybrid

  • Eric J Gibson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      I must tell you folks, I'm REALLY loving the Green Stuff/ Fimo mix.

      Much longer work time means I don't need to feel rushed to finish a "layer" of detail.

      Less surface tension and "memory" means that little details or easier.

      You can mix epoxy and clay techniques equally well (push/pull vs. cut/carve).

      Pushing and pulling is SO MUCH easier

      Still doesn't stick to your tools.

      DOES stick to itself ('course being that it doesn't stick to metal well, you need to coat you armature in pure GS)

      Sandable, shavable, carvable.

      Flexible like GS after curing...
      Cook slightly to increase to overall hardness.

      Using Fimo as a "filler" reduces the overall cost of material (though admittedly there are cheaper P-clays then Fimo)

      I'm telling you folks, I'm not seeing to many drawbacks here. It is a bit grainer the normal GS (but only slightly and it doesn't show in your sculpt). The lower surface tension and less "memory" means that the model picks of virtually EVERY detail (even undesirable ones).

      Mixing is a bit more of a pain as you must mix the GS as normal AND condition a bit of Fimo then you have to twist and mix together. This "drawback" is lessened considerably because you can mix more up at a time because the working time is a few (3-5) hours rather than 20-30 minutes.

      Longer working time, means longer cure time. Have a few project going as it takes much longer for your individual "layers" to cure up ('though your "curing oven" can help a great with this).

      My suggestion to everyone here is going pick up a little block of Fimo and try for yourself... You might really like it.

      Here is a picture of a model I am working on using this method.

      Please keep in mind I am neither a pro sculptor or even good at this sculpting stuff, so don't let the my poor abilities deter you.

      ---
      Thank You,
      Eric Gibson

    • charles.mcgregor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
        Sounds almost like the wishlist I made up a few months back.
        I'll give it a try, thanks.

        chic.

        Good New Year (Bliadhna Mhath Ur) to all on the group.

        > I must tell you folks, I'm REALLY loving the Green Stuff/ Fimo mix.
        >
        > Much longer work time means I don't need to feel rushed to finish a
        "layer" of detail.

        > Less surface tension and "memory" means that little details or
        easier.

        > You can mix epoxy and clay techniques equally well (push/pull vs.
        cut/carve).

        > Pushing and pulling is SO MUCH easier
        >
        > Still doesn't stick to your tools.
        >
        > DOES stick to itself ('course being that it doesn't stick to metal
        well, you need to coat you armature in pure GS)

        > Sandable, shavable, carvable.
        >
        > Flexible like GS after curing...
        > Cook slightly to increase to overall hardness.
        >
        > Using Fimo as a "filler" reduces the overall cost of material
        (though admittedly there are cheaper P-clays then Fimo)

        > I'm telling you folks, I'm not seeing to many drawbacks here. It is
        a bit grainer the normal GS (but only slightly and it doesn't show in
        your sculpt). The lower surface tension and less "memory" means that
        the model picks of virtually EVERY detail (even undesirable ones).

        > Mixing is a bit more of a pain as you must mix the GS as normal AND
        condition a bit of Fimo then you have to twist and mix together. This
        "drawback" is lessened considerably because you can mix more up at a
        time because the working time is a few (3-5) hours rather than 20-30
        minutes.

        > Longer working time, means longer cure time. Have a few project
        going as it takes much longer for your individual "layers" to cure up
        ('though your "curing oven" can help a great with this).

        > My suggestion to everyone here is going pick up a little block of
        Fimo and try for yourself... You might really like it.

        > Here is a picture of a model I am working on using this method.
        >
        > Please keep in mind I am neither a pro sculptor or even good at this
        sculpting stuff, so don't let the my poor abilities deter you.

        ch%20%22Gibson/hybrid_sculpt.jpg]

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/