Re: [1listSculpting] RTV's

  • Damon "Anthraxus" Agretto
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2000
      Here's a question:

      I cast using resin from RTV molds, and they seem to last a long while
      (mostly Armored Fighting Vehicle accessories like ammo cans, bedrolls,
      rucks, etc.). How many casts can be had using metal? I'm sculpting up my
      own figures for a wargames army (since I'm largely dissatisfied with what's
      out there for this particular army) and I need lots (100+ figures, though
      I'll probably sculpt up several variants). I'd be interested to know how
      far a mold will go.

      BTW, does anyone know the alloy ratio for casting lead? There's a stained
      glass place up here and I might inquire on their lead alloys.

      Damon.
      Damon Agretto
      dca@...
      Easton, Pennsylvania
      "Si vis pacem, para bellum"
      Now Building: Maquette's Panzer 38(t) Ausf. G
    • Bob Lippman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2000
        At 02:35 PM 6/1/00 -0400, you wrote:
        >Here's a question:
        >
        >I cast using resin from RTV molds, and they seem to last a long while
        >(mostly Armored Fighting Vehicle accessories like ammo cans, bedrolls,
        >rucks, etc.). How many casts can be had using metal? I'm sculpting up my
        >own figures for a wargames army (since I'm largely dissatisfied with what's
        >out there for this particular army) and I need lots (100+ figures, though
        >I'll probably sculpt up several variants). I'd be interested to know how
        >far a mold will go.

        I use a Platsil from Polytek (I think its the 70-30 stuff) and cast
        tin/lead alloy minis in it. I can easily get 50 pieces out of a mold before
        I notice any decrease in quality.

        >BTW, does anyone know the alloy ratio for casting lead? There's a stained
        >glass place up here and I might inquire on their lead alloys.

        I think its around 65% lead.

        --
        Bob Lippman <ALTBOB@...>
        Saratoga Springs, New York