Re: Sculpting wings

  • ramonlaan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
      Use steel wiremesh. Cut in right silhouette, cover with thin layer of
      Greenstuff and when cured can still be bend in any shape. Then add
      detail. Gives piece strength for rigorous use (playing?) or molding.

      I have done wings of this one in this way:

      athangel1.jpg

      Wings are very thin but very sturdy.

      HTH

      Ramon

      --- In 1listSculpting@y..., "c1onehead" <b.balderrama@l...> wrote:
      > Hi, or should I say help!
      > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sculpt wings?
      > Any help is good.
      > Thanks in advance!
    • Kevin Walker
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
        On Friday, February 1, 2002, at 03:46 AM, ramonlaan wrote:

        > Use steel wiremesh. Cut in right silhouette, cover with thin layer of
        > Greenstuff and when cured can still be bend in any shape. Then add
        > detail. Gives piece strength for rigorous use (playing?) or molding.
        >
        > I have done wings of this one in this way:

        > athangel1.jpg
        >
        > Wings are very thin but very sturdy.

        That's a great piece of work! I love how the shroud capturers the shape
        of the body underneath it.

        Kevin Walker
        sage@...
      • keithbvaughn
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
          Hi c1onehead,

          Go to the hobby store and pick up a sheet of brass that can be cut
          with metal shears but not regular shears and draw out your shapes on
          the brass with a sharpie marker, then cut out and bend to shape. For
          adhesion of the green putty to the sheet, roughen it up (before
          bending) with some 220-330 grit sandpaper. If you need to have
          fingers poking off of the wing just solder short lenghts of brass
          wire to where the fingers go.

          Also if you are trying to do an animal's wing or want to make
          something that looks believable, consult some field guides or
          artist's reference books on how a wing actually looks. The wing shown
          in another post looks like it was drawn by someone in middle school
          who didn't have a clue.

          Keith
        • BatHead207@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
            In a message dated 02/01/2002 11:46:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            keithvaughn@... writes:

            > Go to the hobby store and pick up a sheet of brass that can be cut
            > with metal shears but not regular shears and draw out your shapes on
            > the brass with a sharpie marker, then cut out and bend to shape

            At the same store that you get the sheet brass, you should be able to get tin
            sheets which are thinner (but still very stiff) and easier to cut and work
            with than the brass.

            Cliff Linton
            Sculptor for Grim Reaper Casting,
            Maker of the "Nasteez" line of Fantasy miniatures
            Contact:
            <A HREF="mailto:grc1991@...">mailto:grc1991@...</A>
            <A HREF="mailto:BatHead207@...">mailto:BatHead207@...</A>
            Phone: 1(610) 998-9277