Re: [1listSculpting] How long does all this take?

  • Bob Lippman
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 30, 2001
      At 05:10 PM 12/30/2001 -0800, you wrote:
      >I've been on this list for a few months now, trying to be good and stay quiet,
      >since I don't know nothing. I've figured out that there is a learning curve
      >of more than 'figured it out one day' duration in learning to make figures.
      >
      >I would really like to make HO scale figures (about 11 to 15mm figs). I've
      >bought
      >a computer controlled milling machine, hoping it would make them. I've
      >learned that
      >using it is so complex that for many things making the figures of green
      >stuff would
      >make more sense, if the skills to do that are something I can acquire.
      >
      >So my question for those of you with some skills, is
      >How long would it take me to become 'sanely proficient' -not a pro, but
      >turning out acceptable work? I'd be starting from never touched green stuff.
      >I have sculpted a little on non-miniature figurines, and know some anatomy.
      >Would it take a lot longer to become proficient working on the smaller figures
      >(as compared to the usual 28mm fantasy figs)?

      Anne,

      It really depends on your talent. Take a look at some of the VIP sculpts.
      Many are first time efforts. You can get a sense from that. As long as
      you are learning, its worth it to keep trying.
      --
      Bob Lippman - ALTBOB@...

      Check out what's new at Strategic HQ!
      http://www.miniaturesbattles.com

      ( ) _ - _ ( )
      ~~ ~~
      ( 0 0 )
      -----------ooO----( )----Ooo------------
      ''' ( ) '''
      ( )
      \ /
      ~~O~~
    • nigel.ford2
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2002
        correct me if I'm wrong but is not HO 4mm to the foot?
        your figures at 11mm to 15mm would be around 3 foot high. are you proposing modelling the 7 dwarves meet harry potter?

      • Deane P. Goodwin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2002
          "nigel.ford2" wrote:

          > correct me if I'm wrong but is not HO 4mm to the foot?
          > your figures at 11mm to 15mm would be around 3 foot high.

          15mm figs are almost exactly 1"=10'
          --
          Deane P. Goodwin
          Goodwin's Painting Services
        • Nigel Ford
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 1, 2002
            You did not read the original posting Dean. SHe said she wanted to model
            figures for HO railway at 11 - 15 mm
            > correct me if I'm wrong but is not HO 4mm to the foot?
            > your figures at 11mm to 15mm would be around 3 foot high.

            15mm figs are almost exactly 1"=10'
            --
            Deane P. Goodwin
            Goodwin's Painting Services

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Deane P. Goodwin
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 1, 2002
              Nigel Ford wrote:

              > You did not read the original posting Dean. SHe said she wanted to
              > model figures for HO railway at 11 - 15 mm

              Senility and several hundred msgs a day will do that to you. :) For more
              info on railway scale than you could ever want or need, try:
              http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~procter/SCALE.HTM
              --
              Deane P. Goodwin
              Goodwin's Painting Services
            • Michael Cannon
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 1, 2002
                But when *I* want to look up scales, I go to this link:

                http://www.warflag.com/shadow/cast/figuresize/figures.htm

                ;-)

                mike cannon

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2002
                  nice site and useful info. but... I think you will find HO modellers are not quite so fogiving when it comes to exact measurements. Wargames are representational and the gamer accepts this, the railway modeller would never accept one figure = % of crowd/workforce etc. let alone the height and dimensions of the figure "looks right to me". Have you ever read some of the group threads for railways? they complain if a rivet is missing from an engine. :-)

                • nigel.ford2
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 2, 2002
                    In the Uk we being of simple minds consider HO (although a more accurate gauge) the same as 00, but even at 3.5 mm to the foot 18mm would make her figure 5 foot high max. :-)
                    > You did not read the original posting Dean. SHe said she wanted to
                    > model figures for HO railway at 11 - 15 mm

                    Senility and several hundred msgs a day will do that to you. :) For more
                    info on railway scale than you could ever want or need, try:
                    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~procter/SCALE.HTM
                    --
                    Deane P. Goodwin
                    Goodwin's Painting Services

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Anne Ogborn
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                      "nigel.ford2" wrote:

                      > correct me if I'm wrong but is not HO 4mm to the foot?
                      > your figures at 11mm to 15mm would be around 3 foot high. are you proposing modelling the 7 dwarves meet harry potter?

                      doh!

                      my error. HO scale is 3.5mm to the foot. so 6 ft is 21mm.
                      I can only plead that I don't think in mm.

                      Annie
                    • Anne Ogborn
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                        hmm... that thread went on.

                        In the UK "OO" is 4mm = 1 ft
                        US 'HO' is slightly smaller, 3.5mm = 1 ft

                        And with figures of course I don't want everybody exactly the same height.
                        Also, figures at the front edge of the layout should be slightly larger than
                        those at the back - forced perspective.

                        As far as modelers worrying about one extra rivet,
                        there are schools of model RRing just as in any art form. A lot of my work is
                        probably best classified as impressionist.
                        Pix of my work:
                        http://www.idiom.com/~anniepoo/trains/zoo/
                        Most of the pix are under the "the zoo" link

                        Actually, there's a good reason to worry about getting rivet spacing exact.
                        A line of rivets along the edge of a tank should have the rivets spaced so
                        the last rivet comes out at the right place. Otherwise looks real ugly.

                        --
                        Anne Ogborn

                        Need motors? HOn30? Try Annie's Depot -
                        http://www.idiom.com/~anniepoo/depot/index.html
                      • nigel.ford2
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                          Must ask Hornby,Bachmann etc to produce smaller trains rails etc. for forced perspective if you intend running more than one track!

                        • nigel.ford2
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                            I take it your american Annie?
                            In the UK we would want 24mm.
                            Texas would expect twice that.
                            Nigel:-)

                          • nigel.ford2
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                              Interesting site Annie.
                              good modelling. Sorry to have confused you with the Americans but then as you put it on your web we are all the same species.(although you would'nt think it with all the wars and predjudices in this world)

                            • Anne Ogborn
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                                "nigel.ford2" wrote:

                                > I take it your american Annie?

                                Yes, but weirdly enough for myself I'd want 24mm figures, as
                                I'm one of the few OO modelers in the US.
                                I model the Darjeeling Himalaya Railway, so my figures would be Bengali Indians,
                                who are mostly short.

                                I'm still fuzzy about my original question.
                                Look, I've never done and embroidery. But it looks like a skill I could pick up by
                                doing a project, 6 weeks of fiddling in front of the TV. Not that I'd be an expert,
                                but reasonably competent.

                                I've also don't speak Chinese. But I bet it'd be a whole lot more than 6 weeks of
                                casual study to become proficient.

                                So, is this more like learning embroidery, or more like learning Chinese?

                                ---
                                Anne Ogborn

                                Need motors? HOn30? Try Annie's Depot -
                                http://www.idiom.com/~anniepoo/depot/index.html
                              • thebigjones_1
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                                  In the general consensus of sculptors that I know, and in my own
                                  experience as an illustrator (and newbie sculptor), the line is drawn
                                  between those who know proportion, anatomy, and portraiture, who have
                                  also developed their observational skills, and those who believe that
                                  sculpting (or any other art) is a collection of tricks or shortcuts.
                                  Most people (sculptors included) fall somewhere in the middle.
                                  There are definite techniques to using the materials, but that is
                                  just the materials and is not the same as the knowlege behind a good
                                  sculpt.
                                  Some materials have elasticity and others are very wax-like or
                                  even paste-like. You won't be able to coax these material into a face
                                  or a hand if you don't know what a face or hand looks like.
                                  (I, personally, find it very odd that a lot of people spend their
                                  lives with hands at the ends of their arms and have a model of a face
                                  just a mirror away and still have no idea what either looks like).
                                  You, better than anyone else, know where your skill levels are at.

                                  Jones

                                • BatHead207@AOL.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 3, 2002
                                    In a message dated 01/03/2002 10:18:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    anniepoo@... writes:

                                    > So, is this more like learning embroidery, or more like learning Chinese?

                                    I'd say neither. Sculpting minis is anart form, embroidery, maybe considered
                                    a form of art, I rather think of it more of a craft. Learning a language is
                                    definitely not an art form, though. IMO. The thing is, I've never met a real
                                    artist (no matter how long they've been at it) that was totally 100%
                                    satisfied with his/her work. They almost always look at a finished piece and
                                    say to themselves, "Well, it pretty much turned out OK, but I wish I had done
                                    that part better." I myself think that generally my sculpting is decent, but
                                    I know that there are quite a few areas that I still need to work on
                                    improving. even after doing this for about 10 yrs. I also think that if one
                                    day I should say to myself that my work is perfect, then I will probably have
                                    to quit.

                                    Cliff Linton
                                    Sculptor for Grim Reaper Casting,
                                    Maker of the "Nasteez" line of Fantasy miniatures
                                    Contact:
                                    grc1991@...
                                    BatHead207@...
                                    Phone: 1(610) 998-9277