41853Re: [1listSculpting] ProCreate, Wax #5 and Home made tool- First Impressions

  • fabet200
    Apr 9, 2013
      Procreates greatest advantage is also it's greatest disadvantage. The slightly more stiffer texture does make it smooth better, but doesn't let it blends as well to existing surfaces. The quicker curing time means less time for fussing than Kneadatite.

      I really like the quality of a 50/50 mixture of Procreate/Kneadatite. It does give the best of both performance-wise worlds (at least for me) . The downside is the resulting color is an unappealing light olive that doesn't reflect light very well. If your sculpting for yourself, it's not really an issue, but when sculpting for a client, it can really bring down the presentation.

      ---- redkobold <kevinchenevert@...> wrote:
      > I received my package of ProCreate and a Wax #5 yesterday and got to try them out for about an hour last night.
      >
      > Overall, I like Procreate a lot.
      >
      > It smoothed easily though I found that it did not seem to blend perfectly with adjacent pieces of uncured putty very easily. A fine line where the two met remained visible.
      >
      > ProCreate was imcredibly easy to form into a sharp square edge. This is definitely a time saver over Kneadatite for me.
      >
      > It takes sharp detail very well and does not have the spring back (memory) of Kneadatite that drives so many starting sculptors crazy.
      >
      > I like Kneadatite and am used to using it and will slowly push a mass of uncured putty around both sides of a shin on an armature to form a calf. Procreate putty seemed like the mass had to be correct and placed more accurately placed. It cannot migrate as far without sort of tearing. Not bad, just different technique for different medium.
      >
      > ProCreate was sticky but did not cling to the armature as well as Kneadatite.
      >
      > I put the sculpture away while it was still curing so I have not tried to carve, cut or sand it yet.
      >
      > I want to experiment with a mixing 3:1 ProCreate with Kneadatite. That may be a perfect mix for me and the habits/technique I have developed with Kneadatite.
      >
      > As far as the Wax #5, it works well also but no better than other tools that I already have. My main tool is a narrow (2mm?) smooth spatula with sharpened edged that comes to a rounded point. The #5 is like having that spatula tool and a dull X-acto knife in one.
      >
      > I recently made a micro cutting chisel that I am finding very useful. Essentially, if you had a tiny flathead screwdriver and sharpened the flat tip to a knife blade sharpness, you would have the tool. My tool is a nail with the tip reshaped that is held in a lead holder (like a pin vise). I filed it and keep it razor sharp. The tool is good for pressing narrow lines in uncured putty. For cured putty, you can shave/cut tiny narrow areas that cannot be reached as easily or at the correct angle by a long bladed X-Acto knife.
      >
      > I will repost all of this on my blog site soon with pictures and notify this group.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic