Font Book difficulty

  • Patrick Spencer, KD4PWL
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      System:
      -OSX Panther.
      -Ran Software Update this afternoon (I do it daily)
      -2 G5 Imacs and 2 G4 Tower Macs.

      Problem:
      Our company has the Adobe Font Folio from 4-5 years ago. All the
      fonts have worked until the last few weeks. I can't give an exact
      date because of the "rush" factor at the office We have 8 seats,
      and font uniformity is obviously important. :)

      Four of the machines are having problems loading all the fonts. I
      attempt to "Add Fonts" in Font Book. Approximately 1/2 to 2/3 of
      them are grayed out in that dialog box.

      What I have tried:
      -Deleted the font files and recopied them from the orginal Adobe CD.

      -I have read all the "web wisdom" time allows, and have copied them
      back and forth from Library/Fonts to User/Libary/Fonts, etc.

      -Double checked the "Ownership and security" settings of the
      individual font files. They are open to all users, etc.

      I have exhausted things I can think of. I invite any suggestions.
      TIA for help!

      Take care,
      Pat Spencer
      System Admin and Sr. Production Artist
      Responsible for 4 unhappy Macs. :)
    • Jim Mitchell
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        Patrick,

        Ah yes. Font Book. My least favorite Apple app...

        The reason 1/2 to 2/3 of the fonts are grayed out when you try to load them
        via the "Open Font" menu option, is that they are the Postscript (printer)
        font that goes along with the bitmap/suitcase font. Font Book won't allow
        you to select them, but (thankfully) does copy them over along with the
        bitmap font (according to my own tests) when you load them.

        First thing you may want to try is cleaning out your font caches. You can do
        this using my utility, Yasu. (Not a shameless plug, I promise...) It may
        clear up the misbehavior.

        If that doesn't do the trick, it's time to remove all traces of your Adobe
        font collection from each machine. You have to do this both on the hard
        disk, AND in Font Book. This is a tricky topic, and it's hard to say exactly
        what should be done without seeing your machines. The following are general
        steps that I would take based on past experience. That said...

        First start in Font Book. Remove all non-Apple typefaces from ALL
        collections. You'll be able to tell which ones are Apple faces by the fact
        that the "Font type" displayed below the preview window of Font Book will
        show "Datafork TrueType" versus "Postscript" or just "TrueType." Keep in
        mind that removing typefaces in Font Book will delete them from your hard
        drive at the same time. If you delete something you didn't mean to, it's
        gone.

        Once you've done that, if you've installed your fonts "for all users" of the
        computer, you may have to do some further weeding of stragglers in
        "/Library/Fonts." You can usually tell the Apple fonts from the rest by
        virtue that they will have a ".dfont" or ".ttf" extension on their name.

        If you've simply installed your fonts "for this user" in Font Book, then
        you're in good shape. You can just remove all remaining fonts from
        "/Users/<username>/Library/Fonts."

        Then, try clearing the font cache one more time using Yasu and then load
        your type faces from the Adobe CD using Font Book. I'd suggest loading them
        on a user basis ("for this user only") for each user instead of "for all
        users" at once.

        That should get you moving in the right direction. I would recommend (from
        personal experience) that you might try Extensis Suitcase X11 for font
        management, especially if you're in a production environment. I tried
        working with Font Book myself and nearly went mad. Suitcase has been a joy
        in comparison.

        Regards,

        Jim Mitchell
        ---
        jim@...
        http://www.jimmitchelldesigns.com
        AIM: jmitchelldesigns

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
          Thanks Jim!
          I have run through these steps, and without avail. Your explanation of the matter jives
          with what I have experienced.

          I am going to DL a trial run of Suitcase to see what it will do for us.

          Thanks again,
          Pat