1844 Tunnel Company Questions

  • marktderrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
      OK So I'm supposed to play 1844 tomorrow and some questions have come
      up about the tunnel companies.

      1) Do you have to claim the alpine hex for the tunnel company when
      you buy it like you do with the Mtn. companies. I thought you did
      but then looked over the English rules but couldn't find it.

      2) Can you have have two tunnels in the same mountain if they do not
      cross and do not intersect (only possible with two gentle tunnels and
      only on one or two of the alpine hexes.

      3) If you manage to go through two different tunnels in the same run
      can you add 20 sfr for each stop scored? If so, I guess this could
      include red off board areas. In my last game one player could almost
      do this with their 8E train at the end of the game.

      Opinions welcomed as always...
    • Nick Wedd
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        In message <bt42qa+3t43@...>, marktderrick
        <derrick@...> writes
        >OK So I'm supposed to play 1844 tomorrow and some questions have come
        >up about the tunnel companies.
        >
        >1) Do you have to claim the alpine hex for the tunnel company when
        >you buy it like you do with the Mtn. companies. I thought you did
        >but then looked over the English rules but couldn't find it.

        No. With a mountain, the person buying it immediately chooses its
        mountain and puts a piece of plastic there. With a tunnel, a person
        purchases it in a SR, but it won't get placed until an OR, when a
        company directed by the owner of the tunnel builds a tunnel.

        And tunnels don't go in the p;aces where mountain railways go - they go
        in the hexes that are designated for tunnels.

        >2) Can you have have two tunnels in the same mountain if they do not
        >cross and do not intersect (only possible with two gentle tunnels and
        >only on one or two of the alpine hexes.

        No. You can never have two tunnels in the same hex.

        >3) If you manage to go through two different tunnels in the same run
        >can you add 20 sfr for each stop scored? If so, I guess this could
        >include red off board areas. In my last game one player could almost
        >do this with their 8E train at the end of the game.

        You can run a train through two (or more) tunnels, but tunnels after the
        first one confer no benefit.

        Something to watch out for - if a tunnel is not built until the last OR
        of the game, its certificate ends the game worth nothing. Tunnel
        certificates do not acquire a value until they pay a dividend, and if
        the tunnel is not built until the last OR, there is no time for it to
        pay a dividend as well. (This is clearly what the rules say. It is
        possible that it is not what the designer meant.)

        Nick
        --
        Nick Wedd nick@...
      • Noel Leaver
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          1) Do you have to claim the alpine hex for the tunnel company when
          you buy it like you do with the Mtn. companies. I thought you did
          but then looked over the English rules but couldn't find it.

          No

          2) Can you have have two tunnels in the same mountain if they do not
          cross and do not intersect (only possible with two gentle tunnels and
          only on one or two of the alpine hexes.

          No. Section VII point 11

          3) If you manage to go through two different tunnels in the same run
          can you add 20 sfr for each stop scored? If so, I guess this could
          include red off board areas. In my last game one player could almost
          do this with their 8E train at the end of the game.

          No. Section VII final point.

          Noel
        • Jon Kwiatkowski
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
            OK, I'm opining away....

            Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:30:17 -0000
            From: "marktderrick"
            Subject: 1844 Tunnel Company Questions

            OK So I'm supposed to play 1844 tomorrow and some questions have come up about the tunnel companies.

            1) Do you have to claim the alpine hex for the tunnel company when you buy it like you do with the Mtn. companies. I thought you did but then looked over the English rules but couldn't find it.

            I would say no; you are buying a share in the single tunnel company and the right to build a tunnel, not ownership of a tunnel company. Other factors also suggest tunnels and mountains are handled differently:

            The tunnel is built by a company owned by the player; it seems that mountain railways just come into existence on the board when their certificate is purchased.
            The bonus for tunnel hexes is fixed and not variable as it is for mountain hexes (with their income boards).

            2) Can you have have two tunnels in the same mountain if they do not cross and do not intersect (only possible with two gentle tunnels and only on one or two of the alpine hexes.

            No; the 11th bullet of section VII says: "Only one tunnel can be built on each tunnel hex."

            3) If you manage to go through two different tunnels in the same run can you add 20 sfr for each stop scored? If so, I guess this could include red off board areas. In my last game one player could almost do this with their 8E train at the end of the game.

            No; the last bullet of section VII says: "If a loco drives through several tunnels this does not bring further bonuses."

            jon

            The only good book is a read book.