18MW rules available for download

  • robin barbehenn
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2001
      I have published rules for 18MW on my FTP site. The
      address is ftp.traingamer.com/pub. Feel free to
      download and read the rules and send any comments to
      me. Let me know if you have any trouble downloading
      the files. We have trouble with our cable modem
      frequently. The files are in WORD 7, RTF and TXT
      formats. I hope to add a PDF version soon. Thanks!

      RB

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Noel Leaver
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
        Just tried accessing this. I could see the site OK, but attempts to download
        either the ReadMe or the .doc version of the rules timed out with a "cannot
        find server" error.

        Noel

      • robin barbehenn
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
          I could use some help on this from someone who is more
          of an expert on this stuff than I am. If you connect
          via IE and right click on the file, it will allow you
          to copy the file to somewhere on your machine. But
          for some reason, it doesn't open up a dialog box
          asking you to download it. I do not know why this is
          so. Also, if you use an FTP client, you can download
          the file. Make sure PASV mode is OFF! Anyone who
          understands browsers and FTP, please contact me either
          on here on by email.

          RB

          --- Noel Leaver <noel.leaver@...> wrote:
          > Just tried accessing this. I could see the site OK,
          > but attempts to download
          > either the ReadMe or the .doc version of the rules
          > timed out with a "cannot
          > find server" error.
          >
          > Noel

          > This message has been checked for all known viruses
          > by Star Internet
          > delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning
          > Service. For further
          > information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp
          > or alternatively call
          > Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning
          > Service.

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Noel Leaver
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
            I've tried printing the PDF map with some success.

            1. A simple print reduced the size to about 45% so it fits on one page.

            2. I you turn the "reduce to fit page" option off, it prints the central
            area full size (which is pretty useless).

            3. If you use the "Graphic Select" tool (RH icon on second toolbar on my
            Acrobat Reader which is V5) you can outline an area to be printed. This will
            print full size if it fits, or be clipped if it doesn't. I displayed the
            image in "fit in window mode" and highlit and printed 4 quarters (portrait
            mode) clipping off bits of the top, bottom and sides which were not parts of
            the playing area. This almost got me a usable map, it has about a 1/2" gap
            down middle. If I tried again and clipped off the decorative green hexes on
            the right I could get a usable print.

            This isn't particularly easy, but it does show the map could be printed on
            A4 with the loss of a little bit of decoration. A small change that would
            help is if the boxes for SF and Southwest could be moved down and right as
            they rather stick out on the left side (unlike the ones on the right)

            I think if you could make the map 4 pdf files each containing a quarter you
            could get it so it would print OK provided it was slightly narrower than you
            need for Legal paper. The max area my printer can print on A4 is 7 29/32" by
            11 1/4"

            Even if they didn't quite fit, the reduce to fit option would probably still
            give a usable map (provided all 4 were exactly the same size).

            Noel

          • robin barbehenn
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
              --- Noel Leaver <noel.leaver@...> wrote:
              > I've tried printing the PDF map with some success.
              >
              > 1. A simple print reduced the size to about 45% so
              > it fits on one page.
              >
              > 2. I you turn the "reduce to fit page" option off,
              > it prints the central
              > area full size (which is pretty useless).
              >
              > 3. If you use the "Graphic Select" tool (RH icon on
              > second toolbar on my
              > Acrobat Reader which is V5) you can outline an area
              > to be printed. This will
              > print full size if it fits, or be clipped if it
              > doesn't. I displayed the
              > image in "fit in window mode" and highlit and
              > printed 4 quarters (portrait
              > mode) clipping off bits of the top, bottom and sides
              > which were not parts of
              > the playing area. This almost got me a usable map,
              > it has about a 1/2" gap
              > down middle. If I tried again and clipped off the
              > decorative green hexes on
              > the right I could get a usable print.
              >
              > This isn't particularly easy, but it does show the
              > map could be printed on
              > A4 with the loss of a little bit of decoration. A
              > small change that would
              > help is if the boxes for SF and Southwest could be
              > moved down and right as
              > they rather stick out on the left side (unlike the
              > ones on the right)
              >
              > I think if you could make the map 4 pdf files each
              > containing a quarter

              This has been suggested and it seems like the thing to
              do. What I am going to do is crop the original map
              into 4 pieces and make them each a pdf file. That
              should make things a bit easier. The fitting is a bit
              tight even for letter size. I think A4 is going to be
              tough. I am sorry for this. When I designed it, I
              didn't think about A4 sized paper. I may try to trim
              a row of hexes off so that the map is thinner. This
              would make it much easier to fit on A4. Thanks for
              the input!!

              RB

              http://im.yahoo.com
            • Mike Monical
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
                If maintaining an ftp site is more hassle then it is worth you can
                also use the file upload section of egroups to distribute files you
                are donating to the public domain. Right now there are a few files
                uploaded for the good of the order and more would be welcome. Anyone
                having game aids, print outs, maps, or other files which may be useful
                should feel free to share their work here.

                Mike

                --- In 18xx@y..., robin barbehenn <rbarbehenn@y...> wrote:
                > I could use some help on this from someone who is more
                > of an expert on this stuff than I am. If you connect
                > via IE and right click on the file, it will allow you
                > to copy the file to somewhere on your machine. But
                > for some reason, it doesn't open up a dialog box
                > asking you to download it. I do not know why this is
                > so. Also, if you use an FTP client, you can download
                > the file. Make sure PASV mode is OFF! Anyone who
                > understands browsers and FTP, please contact me either
                > on here on by email.
                >
                > RB
                >
                > --- Noel Leaver <noel.leaver@m...> wrote:
                > > Just tried accessing this. I could see the site OK,
                > > but attempts to download
                > > either the ReadMe or the .doc version of the rules
                > > timed out with a "cannot
                > > find server" error.
                > >
                > > Noel

                > > This message has been checked for all known viruses
                > > by Star Internet
                > > delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning
                > > Service. For further
                > > information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp
                > > or alternatively call
                > > Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning
                > > Service.

                Messenger
                > http://im.yahoo.com
              • Chris Lawson
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2001
                  --- In 18xx@y..., robin barbehenn <rbarbehenn@y...> wrote:
                  > I have published rules for 18MW on my FTP site. The
                  > address is ftp.traingamer.com/pub. Feel free to
                  > download and read the rules and send any comments to
                  > me. Let me know if you have any trouble downloading
                  > the files. We have trouble with our cable modem
                  > frequently. The files are in WORD 7, RTF and TXT
                  > formats. I hope to add a PDF version soon. Thanks!

                  With Robin's agreement, I have put the 18MW files on Blackwater
                  Station so they can be accessed without the hassle of using ftp.

                  http://www.18xx.net/18mw/18mw.htm

                  The map (in .pdf format) and rules (in .doc .rtf and .txt format) are
                  available.

                  Cheers
                  Chris
                  www.18xx.net