Re: [18xx] 1826 - first time

  • Marco Rocci
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hi,

      On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:03:03 +0200, ftaton@... wrote:

      >them! ;-) ). The map is made of 4 sheets (A4) of paper of superior quality and
      >is "water-proofed"; I'll have to glue them on a thick A2 cardboard, then cut it
      >in 4 parts, binding them with tape. But until that, we have used a glas plate,
      >and it worked well.

      I usually work the other way around... I bind A4 sheets of cardboard
      with tape (so it can be folded, as in regular games). I use 5cm
      medical cloth tape to do the job, as it is resistant, but not stiff.
      When I like the fit and the folds, I then finish the job by placing
      the map sheets on the cardboard support (with 3M spray glue). It
      comes out quite nice.

      Regards,

      --
      Marco Rocci
      MicroEra srl
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
        > From: John David Galt <jdg@...>
        >Subject: Re: 1826 - first time
        >
        >"Michael J. Schneider" wrote:
        > > It cuts both ways (I haven't played 1826, but it sounds like some of
        > > these companies are similar to those in 1841), since a player with
        > > three 40% certificates can command almost as much earning power from
        > > them alone as another player's entire portfolio in a 6-player game,
        > > if that person only possesses one 20% certificate.
        >
        >Unfortunately, there's very little choice. One of the phase changes
        >forces all companies to upgrade to major, and in my experience this
        >usually happens either at the same time the company would first be
        >eligible to convert anyway, or slightly sooner.

        Refresh my memory: in 1841, are all 40% companies (whether
        historicals or non-historicals) -- I think all are "minors" --
        *required* to merge at some point?

      • Peter Jacobi
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
          Dear All,

          I REALLY ...arghh must exercise self-control ... must
          resist shouting ...

          I really like to have a copy of 1826!

          I just looked up, the last discussion gave no result,
          but:

          Chris, are considering re-opening the production?

          Did David G. Hecht (I assume he is not on the list?)
          give Chris exclusive rights to manufacture 1826?
          Would there be any chance contacting him for
          information on making a do-it-yourself 1826?

          Is anybody so silly to sell his 1826? Please email me the
          price you ask.

          Regards,
          Peter Jacobi

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • Lars Achterfeldt
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
            John David Galt wrote:

            > "Michael J. Schneider" wrote:
            > > It cuts both ways (I haven't played 1826, but it sounds like some of
            > > these companies are similar to those in 1841), since a player with
            > > three 40% certificates can command almost as much earning power from
            > > them alone as another player's entire portfolio in a 6-player game,
            > > if that person only possesses one 20% certificate.
            >
            > Unfortunately, there's very little choice. One of the phase changes
            > forces all companies to upgrade to major, and in my experience this
            > usually happens either at the same time the company would first be
            > eligible to convert anyway, or slightly sooner.

            you can blow up the company as soon as you wish (if the target hex is
            reached), but with the first 10h-train you must do it.

            lars
          • Lars Achterfeldt
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
              Michael J. Schneider wrote:

              > > From: John David Galt <jdg@...>
              > >Subject: Re: 1826 - first time
              > >
              > >"Michael J. Schneider" wrote:
              > > > It cuts both ways (I haven't played 1826, but it sounds like some of
              > > > these companies are similar to those in 1841), since a player with
              > > > three 40% certificates can command almost as much earning power from
              > > > them alone as another player's entire portfolio in a 6-player game,
              > > > if that person only possesses one 20% certificate.
              > >
              > >Unfortunately, there's very little choice. One of the phase changes
              > >forces all companies to upgrade to major, and in my experience this
              > >usually happens either at the same time the company would first be
              > >eligible to convert anyway, or slightly sooner.
              >
              > Refresh my memory: in 1841, are all 40% companies (whether
              > historicals or non-historicals) -- I think all are "minors" --
              > *required* to merge at some point?

              no. you may merge two minors to a major or blow up a minor to a major
              (if the stock price is in column K) or end the game with the minor.

              lars
            • ftaton@techspace-aero.be
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
                Peter,

                David just offered me one copy (1826 gold edition) he got from Chris
                at the ManorCon. I don't know if Chris is back to the gamekit
                production. Chris and David are both on the mailing-list, so I think
                it's better that they answer themselves.

                Fred

                --- In 18xx@y..., Peter Jacobi <peter_jacobi@r...> wrote:
                > Dear All,
                >
                > I REALLY ...arghh must exercise self-control ... must
                > resist shouting ...
                >
                > I really like to have a copy of 1826!
                >
                > I just looked up, the last discussion gave no result,
                > but:
                >
                > Chris, are considering re-opening the production?
                >
                > Did David G. Hecht (I assume he is not on the list?)
                > give Chris exclusive rights to manufacture 1826?
                > Would there be any chance contacting him for
                > information on making a do-it-yourself 1826?
                >
                > Is anybody so silly to sell his 1826? Please email me the
                > price you ask.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Peter Jacobi

                Messenger
                > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
              • Noel Leaver
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
                  >Unfortunately, there's very little choice. One of the phase changes
                  >forces all companies to upgrade to major, and in my experience this
                  >usually happens either at the same time the company would first be
                  >eligible to convert anyway, or slightly sooner.

                  Companies are converted on sale of a 10 train which rusts the 4s. If a
                  company has not yet converted to a major it can only have one train (in
                  phase 6) and that will be usually 4 (it must have a 4 at the start of phase
                  6 to avoid being nationalised into the Etat unless it is the only such
                  company, so will still have it unless it has managed to sell the 4 to
                  another company and that is unlikely). It will then become trainless and
                  (possibly) will be nationalised into the Soc., which is not likely to
                  enhance your chances of winning the game. Hence you want to convert your
                  company before the first 10 in order to get a 6 (and also more money by
                  selling your other 5 shares). For some companies there is a tightrope to
                  walk: do I maximise income or do I make sure I can connect to the
                  destination in case the 10 arrives faster than I expect? And if you think
                  you can avoid nationalisation by being the only company with no train,
                  someone might help you out by launching a new company, selling it their old
                  4 train - this can be quite profitable as it doesn't cost them very much.

                  The changing to a major doesn't feel much like all the different
                  conversions/mergers in 1841, it is much simpler and fairly predictable.

                  Noel