1876v2

  • Peter Jacobi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2001
      Dear List Members,

      I finally did some finetuning on 1876v2, which should
      advance its state from "rather broken" to "maybe playable".

      The last playtest was with four players and provided a nice
      game, despite the fact of myself on the last place.

      Rules, map, stock chart and tile sheets and complete
      package of PostScript files for building a game
      can be found at:

      http://traingames.virtualave.net/76v2.htm

      (Unfortunately VirtualAve got rather bad, I'll try to
      move to a better location.)

      Regards,
      Peter Jacobi

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Peter Jacobi
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2001
        Dear List Members,

        I found a new and advertising-free home for my pages:

        http://www.linearaudio.de/18xx/76v2.htm

        Also the .ps and .png downloads should work there.

        Regards,
        Peter Jacobi

        --- Peter Jacobi <peter_jacobi@...> wrote:
        > Dear List Members,
        >
        > I finally did some finetuning on 1876v2, which should
        > advance its state from "rather broken" to "maybe playable".
        >
        > The last playtest was with four players and provided a nice
        > game, despite the fact of myself on the last place.
        >
        > Rules, map, stock chart and tile sheets and complete
        > package of PostScript files for building a game
        > can be found at:
        >
        > http://traingames.virtualave.net/76v2.htm
        >
        > (Unfortunately VirtualAve got rather bad, I'll try to
        > move to a better location.)
        >
        > Regards,
        > Peter Jacobi

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Noel Leaver
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 17, 2001
          1876v2

          Had two games this weekend.

          First,

          01285 884400.
        • Noel Leaver
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 17, 2001
            (Apologies for previous posting, hit send by mistake)

            Had two games this weekend

            First, some queries re rules.

            1. Assisted train purchase - when you set the new price to say 120, which of
            5 120s do you put it on? We decided to put it on the current horizontal
            line if possible, else lowest line possible. In 1841 it goes on the lowest
            number. I think next time we might put it on the top line to make the
            manoeuvre less good.

            2. We assumed the port and R tiles can be put on in any orientation (that
            does not have a track going into the sea (unlike say Venice in 1841)

            3. When non-directors sell shares into the pool during an assisted purchase,
            we assume the price goes down normally, but does not go left if it can't go
            down.

            4. Is the 5 Diesels a limit (I don't think the number is a limit in 1830 so
            I assume it isn't - not that we needed more)

            5. The private that puts a token on Princes (or Princess elsewhere) Town -
            we assume it cannot upgrade this tile first?

            6. We assumed the wiggly lines meant swamp and cost 40 to upgrade?

            7. If director sells company operating during an assisted purchase, our
            reading of rules is this does not reduce his liability to pay contributions.

            8. Assisted purchase -rule 7. To clarify, does this mean that once he has
            raised enough money he can't sell any more shares, or that he is not allowed
            to have spare money equally to or greater than the cheapest share sold. IE,
            if I need $200 and sell $60, $110, $110 is this legal?

            ---------------------------------------

            The first game was three player. I felt it suffered a bit from "suffer if
            you are the person with only one company" problem, though this was less of
            an issue in the second game with 4 players.

            In game 1 three companies ended up on 400 (top of market) and one nearly
            there. In second game 4 were on 400 and 5th on 250. The top company would
            have gone 7 spaces past 400 had it existed. I think this is a problem, I
            don't like to see companies hitting the ceiling, it seems very artificial.

            Total money seemed a bit high, but real problem was that the assisted
            purchases are so beneficial. In 2nd game all companies did as many as
            possible, and apart from one case, all shareholders paid (the exception was
            when a player had no cash). It worked out that having to buy a train
            typically put the shares up by about the contribution, and results in a
            company on a higher share price (hence shares increase faster) and with
            better train (hence higher dividend). Altogether too good - unless we got
            some rule wrong. For example, if first game a company on 45 after 2
            purchases went up to 250.

            For example (and could you confirm I have got this right) company is on 130.
            It fails to pay a dividend, then asks for assistance of 91, causing it to go
            left again to 110. All contributions paid so shares go on 110+ 91 = 201
            round up to 225 (130 + 91 = 221, gain of 4 when forced to buy a train!!).

            Noel

            01285 884400.
          • Peter Jacobi
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2001
              Hi Noel,

              A short answer to the most important point first:

              The (high) new price set up after an assisted train purchase
              does only apply to shares in put back into a (new) initial offering.

              The market price stays at a presumable rather low mark.

              I'm very sorry, that my rules are that unclear.

              Perhaps a major point of confusion, is naming the shares
              in the initial offering "Stock" in contrast to the "Pool".

              This awkward terminology is or was used by quite a large
              number of german gaming circles, I fear.

              Regards,
              Peter

              http://buzz.yahoo.com/
            • Noel Leaver
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2001
                RE: [18xx] RE: 1876v2

                >The (high) new price set up after an assisted train purchase
                does only apply to shares in put back into a (new) initial offering.

                Ah, so we had got it completely wrong - that will make a huge difference.

                01285 884400.
              • Mike Hutton
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 25, 2005
                  Hi there.

                  I asked whether anyone knew what the status was with this. Does anyone
                  have any idea? Is it still being played?

                  It's just that I'd like to know as I've put together a set and don't
                  know if it's worth playing or not.

                  Mike.
                • Craig Bartell
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 25, 2005
                    I have made a copy and have played it. Our group played about a year or
                    so ago, and havn't played again since. There was something that bothered
                    us about the play, but its been so long I don't remember what.

                    Craig