1870 rule comment -- selling privates during SR

  • jimdavistx
    Message 1 of 104 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hi all,

      The "Private Companies" section of the 1870 rules states: "A player may purchase a private company from another player during a stock round for any mutually agreed upon price".

      One game, a couple of players decided to buy and sell a private back and forth in early SRs for the sole purpose of transferring cash between the two players (the original owner ended up with the private back in his hands).

      While this is clearly legal according to the stated rule, we regard it as an exploitation of the rules and are debating creation of a "house rule" to prevent it.

      We were curious if this has come up before in other 18xx gaming circles, and what the resolution was, if any.

      Thanks,
      Jim Davis
    • daveberry33
      Message 104 of 104 , Feb 23, 2012
        Mike,

        Thanks for this extra clarification. Would I be correct to characterise the rule as follows?

        "In the case that a freight train starts (or ends) at an off-board location, the count of intervening hexes starts (or ends) at the hex connected to that entry point".

        If that's the case, I suspect it seems obvious to you, but I hope the Wells/Cromer example shows why we found the existing rules a little unclear.

        Regarding travel, Edinburgh<->Romford is indeed a bit of a trek. Maybe I'll see if I can get to Midcon this year.

        Dave.