Re: [18xx] 1831 Publication

  • John A. Tamplin
    Message 1 of 58 , Nov 7, 2011
      On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Robert Jasiek <jasiek@...> wrote:

      > Now I am beginning to get the idea :( Except that I do not really
      > understand why such overbig games need to be created. The same topic can
      > be modelled in much smaller games. But ok, that is history; Burger just
      > did design his game that way, so we have to live with that. What about
      > C2C? Why must a game be that big? To get a wargame-like feeling?

      The answer to those questions, as well as why you designed
      Crisis/Inflation/etc the way you did, is because the designer wanted it
      that way.

      --
      John A. Tamplin

    • Ian D Wilson
      Message 58 of 58 , Nov 8, 2011
        --- On Tue, 8/11/11, John David Galt <jdg@...> wrote:
        >One of the reasons I like both of the major series of crayon-rail games (Empire
        >Builder and Railway Rivals) is that each is one simple rule set that can be
        >played, pretty much unchanged, on many maps (and RR has hundreds of fan-made
        >maps available for it).

        Railroad Tycoon also has quite a few maps (with a few rule variations for each).

        >A similarly portable 18xx rule set would be nice to have. It would probably
        >have its own standardized tile set, companies, and trains, so that only the map
        >need change.

        The problem lies with the private companies, which tend to be specific to a particular region. OTOH, it isn't difficult to devise a new set for each map - see 1899 for such an 1830 variant.

        There are a few 18xx titles which have no privates; one of these is 1853. Many years ago, I did a variant of 1853 which was portable to various maps (and a randomised one). One of these days I might get round to doing a PnP...

        Ian D