Re: [18xx] WBC Day 2

  • Bj√∂rn Westling
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2011
      When a player leaves a game, how should you treat their positions?
      I guess the best thing is to find a replacement player, but that could
      be difficult.

      What if the player is president of a company?
      What if the player is the sole shareholder of a company?
      If he has 2+ shares of a company, and the president sells down so that
      he becomes the majority holder, what happens?

      Beard, Bruce D. skrev:

      > Two players, unfortunately, left games in progress.

    • Steve Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2011
        > When a player leaves a game, how should you treat their positions?
        > I guess the best thing is to find a replacement player, but that could
        > be difficult.

        Some years ago I was running a tournament. One of the players had brought
        his wife along, she to go shopping while he played 18xx. Midway through a
        game of 1856 the news came through that she'd had some sort of turn in the
        street and had been carted off to hospital. Ever the gentleman, he rushed
        off to offer succour.

        Without consulting the TD, the rest of the players ran his position by
        consensus until the game ended. He finished with the best result for any
        game of 1856 during the whole weekend, and won a small prize for it.

        I suppose if a player absents himself for less acceptable reasons, you could
        always apply postal NMR! rules--his companies do nothing save pay dividends
        if possible, and buy trains only when forced. In stock rounds they buy
        nothing. Forced stock sales happen in price order if raising cash, reverse
        price order (but not non-counting shares) if over limit. Either way, stock
        in other players' companies gets sold first.

        --
        Steve Thomas maisnestce@...