Re: [18xx] Re: Installing the PC version of 1830

  • zieskep@juno.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 3, 2000
      I did a general search for autoex*.* and conf*.* files and did find some
      backup files and ones created by Norton anti-virus. Playing around with
      these, ie. deleting them and disabling anti-virus program, did not help.
      Paul

      On Sat, 30 Sep 2000 08:14:42 -0700 John David Galt
      <jdg@...> writes:
      > zieskep@... wrote:
      >
      > > My computer does not have autoexec.win and config.win files,
      > though my Win95 computers have a config.win file.
      >
      > Some other suffix, .DOS perhaps?

    • Dave Mitton
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 4, 2000
        Long shot, FWIW:
        If you are using a multi-system boot manager, it may be "hiding"
        backup copies on you.
        Partion Magic is one, and it keeps master copies in folders of
        your own naming, which it copies into the root at boot time. If you have
        one of these things, you have to work with its master files.

        You may also want to turn off hidden file supression in the Win Explorer
        View Option.

        Dave.

        At 03:39 PM 10/3/00 -0600, you wrote:
        >I did a general search for autoex*.* and conf*.* files and did find some
        >backup files and ones created by Norton anti-virus. Playing around with
        >these, ie. deleting them and disabling anti-virus program, did not help.
        >Paul
        >
        >On Sat, 30 Sep 2000 08:14:42 -0700 John David Galt
        ><jdg@...> writes:
        > > zieskep@... wrote:
        > >
        > > > My computer does not have autoexec.win and config.win files,
        > > though my Win95 computers have a config.win file.
        > >
        > > Some other suffix, .DOS perhaps?

        dave@... http://www.dave.mitton.com/
      • John David Galt
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 4, 2000
          zieskep@... wrote:

          > I did a general search for autoex*.* and conf*.* files and did find some
          > backup files and ones created by Norton anti-virus. Playing around with
          > these, ie. deleting them and disabling anti-virus program, did not help.

          How about MSDOS.SYS? (In Win95 and later this is a config file similar
          to CONFIG.SYS.)
        • Franz Schubert
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 9, 2000
            Hi

            I have huge problems starting the 1830 PC Version. The Program says
            everytime "reconfigure hardware options". I tried with boot disk and several
            soundcard settings. Tried also in MS-DOS - always the same. Anyone out there
            who can help me ?

            Franz schubert
          • Robert Cannon
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 9, 2000
              I works fine under Windows 2000 after enabling EMS under the properties for
              a shortcut to the program. It doesn't offer sound with my sound card
              though. I remember seeing a program that would emulate a classic Sound
              Blaster for the Windows 32-bit platforms, but I have not been able to
              relocate it.

              I have huge problems starting the 1830 PC Version. The Program says
              everytime "reconfigure hardware options". I tried with boot disk and several
              soundcard settings. Tried also in MS-DOS - always the same. Anyone out there
              who can help me ?

              Franz schubert

              This is a message from the 18xx mailing list.
            • John David Galt
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 9, 2000
                Franz Schubert wrote:

                > I have huge problems starting the 1830 PC Version. The Program says
                > everytime "reconfigure hardware options". I tried with boot disk and several
                > soundcard settings. Tried also in MS-DOS - always the same. Anyone out there
                > who can help me ?

                Do you have the latest patch? You can tell by the size and date of 1830.EXE.
                Mine is 495392 bytes, last modified 26 Apr 1995 11:24:52 AM.
              • Franz Schubert
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 10, 2000

                  > Do you have the latest patch? You can tell by the size and date of
                  1830.EXE.
                  > Mine is 495392 bytes, last modified 26 Apr 1995 11:24:52 AM.

                  My version is from 18 July 1995, 479 KB . ???

                  Franz
                • Jeffry Simmons
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
                    --- In 18xx@egroups.com, "Franz Schubert" <schubs@g...> wrote:

                    > > Do you have the latest patch? You can tell by the size and date
                    of
                    > 1830.EXE.
                    > > Mine is 495392 bytes, last modified 26 Apr 1995 11:24:52 AM.
                    > >

                    > My version is from 18 July 1995, 479 KB . ???
                    >
                    > Franz

                    The '18 July 1995, 479 KB' patch is the latest and the correct one.
                  • Robert Cannon
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
                      I don't know if anyone cares to run 1830 under Windows 2000, since no one
                      has replied to my previous emails. But I did say I would try to find the
                      Sound Blaster emulation program that I had seen before. It is called
                      SoundFX and it worked well with 1830 until the trial program timed out after
                      5 minutes.

                      Since the program does take up a little of conventional memory, I had to
                      disable the network support and DMPI support for that DOS session by REMing
                      out the 'redir' and 'dosx' commands in the AUTOEXEC.NT file. You can create
                      a AUTOEXEC file specifically to run 1830, if you prefer. More information
                      about SoundFX is available at http://www.softsystem.co.uk/page3.htm. The
                      downside? They want $29 for it! I'll do without sound at that price, thank
                      you.
                    • Dave Mitton
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 18, 2000
                        BTW: the V1.4 18-July-95 "patch" level is still availible at:

                        http://www.avalonhill.com/patches.cfm

                        Dave.