Re: [18xx] Learning to Play in London

  • Richard Clyne
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2010
      As well as Swiggers, London on Board also has occasional 18xx games midweek.

      They meet between Bank and Mansion House on roughly alternating Tuesdays and
      Wednesdays.

      http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/

      Regards
      Richard

      On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Edward S. Rustin <ed@...> wrote:

      > Apologies if this isn't the right place to post such a message!
      >
      > I've recently found myself somewhat intrigued by 18xx (for which I'm pretty
      > sure I can lay the blame at reading too many of Clearclaw's comments on
      > BGG)
      > and with a copy of 1856. I was wondering if there were any tips that people
      > could share to help me learn the game, or if there were any newbie-friendly
      > groups in London that could teach me.
      >
      > Any help greatly appreciated!
      >
      > Ed

      Richard Clyne
      richard@...
      Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit
      materiari?

    • Edward S. Rustin
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2010
        Ah, I've not noticed anyone playing 18xx at London On Board, else I'd
        probably go more often - normally I'm just there to pick up some games from
        Paul, who runs both it and an online game shop - Board Game Guru I think
        it's called.

        I might post on their meetup and see if there's some people who'd be
        interested in setting up a game then.

        On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 09:23, Richard Clyne <richard@...> wrote:

        > As well as Swiggers, London on Board also has occasional 18xx games
        > midweek.
        >
        > They meet between Bank and Mansion House on roughly alternating Tuesdays
        > and
        > Wednesdays.
        >

        > http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/
        >
        > Regards
        > Richard
        >

        > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Edward S. Rustin <ed@...<ed%40well.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Apologies if this isn't the right place to post such a message!
        > >
        > > I've recently found myself somewhat intrigued by 18xx (for which I'm
        > pretty
        > > sure I can lay the blame at reading too many of Clearclaw's comments on
        > > BGG)
        > > and with a copy of 1856. I was wondering if there were any tips that
        > people
        > > could share to help me learn the game, or if there were any
        > newbie-friendly
        > > groups in London that could teach me.
        > >
        > > Any help greatly appreciated!
        > >
        > > Ed

        > --
        > Richard Clyne
        > richard@... <richard%40clyne.org>
        > Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit
        > materiari?

      • Richard Clyne
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2010
          I think 18xx has been played three times or so in the last year. I'll be
          happy to play any time I am going.
          Richard

          On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Edward S. Rustin <ed@...> wrote:

          > Ah, I've not noticed anyone playing 18xx at London On Board, else I'd
          > probably go more often - normally I'm just there to pick up some games from
          > Paul, who runs both it and an online game shop - Board Game Guru I think
          > it's called.
          >
          > I might post on their meetup and see if there's some people who'd be
          > interested in setting up a game then.
          >
          > On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 09:23, Richard Clyne <richard@...> wrote:
          >

          > > As well as Swiggers, London on Board also has occasional 18xx games
          > > midweek.
          > >
          > > They meet between Bank and Mansion House on roughly alternating Tuesdays
          > > and
          > > Wednesdays.
          > >

          > > http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > Richard
          > >

          > > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Edward S. Rustin <ed@...<ed%
          > 40well.com>>
          > > wrote:
          > >
          > > > Apologies if this isn't the right place to post such a message!
          > > >
          > > > I've recently found myself somewhat intrigued by 18xx (for which I'm
          > > pretty
          > > > sure I can lay the blame at reading too many of Clearclaw's comments on
          > > > BGG)
          > > > and with a copy of 1856. I was wondering if there were any tips that
          > > people
          > > > could share to help me learn the game, or if there were any
          > > newbie-friendly
          > > > groups in London that could teach me.
          > > >
          > > > Any help greatly appreciated!
          > > >
          > > > Ed

          > > --
          > > Richard Clyne
          > > richard@... <richard%40clyne.org>
          > > Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
          > possit
          > > materiari?

          Richard Clyne
          richard@...
          Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit
          materiari?

        • Tim Franklin
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
            Hi Phil,

            destrinstorm wrote:

            > I work in Hammersmith and live in Essex and would always be keen to
            > join up with other local players for a game or two. I'd not heard of
            > swiggers before so I'll give those guys a look but if anyone else is
            > keen to play, I'd be interested in participating too.

            Whereabouts in Essex are you? I know of a few other local(ish) players
            - me in Witham, others in Chelmsford and in / around Romford - although
            we're not especially regular at the moment at getting together...

            Regards,
            Tim.