RE: [18xx] E trains in 18GL (and also 1826...)

  • Bill Jaffe
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 1, 2009
      No, but that is a good idea.

      We do switch P1 and P2, leaving the costs alone but making the $40 private
      P1, and the $20 private C&E as #2. We also play that the winner of #3, 4, or
      5, gets to choose which is in play.

      Bill Jaffe

      Gaming - 18xx since 1829, EIA since ADG, WIF since v2.

      bigbillthecollector@...

      From: Bill Jaffe <bigbillthecollector@...
      <mailto:bigbillthecollector%40yahoo.com> >
      Subject: [18xx] E trains in 18GL (and also 1826...)
      To: 18xx@yahoogroups.com <mailto:18xx%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 12:39 PM

      Seem fairly useless. We now have had two games in a row where they never

      once ran as Double 4 City trains, they are always running as 5E trains,

      which makes them fairly low revenue. The game revolves around how few of

      these clunkers we manage to get or stick our opponents with.

      Have there been any variants or alternatives suggested for these permanent

      doorstops? We are a fairly aggressive push the tech group, and this game

      we're playing now they were overset in the same Op round!

      Bill Jaffe

      Gaming - 18xx since 1829, EIA since ADG, WIF since v2.

      bigbillthecollector @...

    • J C Lawrence
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 3, 2009
        On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 05:10:20 -0000
        mightyrickempire <rickcarson+yahoogroups@...> wrote:

        > And at various times I've considered having "German game" style tracks
        > around the outside of the board. E.g. you could have one for
        > maintenance costs - every operating round after the first one is
        > bought the counter for the 2 trains advances one spot on the track,
        > with ever increasing maintenance (e.g. +10 per square).

        Baltimore & Ohio, one of Winsome Game's new games for this year, does
        several intereting things with trains:

        1) The cost of a train is a function of its level and whether it is the
        first, second, third etc of that level. The formula is

        ((L^2 + L + 8) * 10) - (L * N * 5)

        Where L is the level of train and N is the zero-based index of the train
        at that level.

        2) There's no route tracing. Simply, all the trains the company owns
        are summed (eg two 2-trains, a 3-train, and two 4-trains gives a total
        of 15) and then that many cities connected by the company's track are
        selected to generate the dividend (without regard for sequencing or
        locality).

        3) An operating company must pay maintenance on each of their trains,
        equal to $10 multilied by the current phase/train number. Yeo, small
        trains become uneconomic quite quickly.

        3.5) All city revenues upgrade automatically when a new level of train
        is bought, much like red off-board areas do in traditional 18xx.

        4) Trains may be sold to the bank for a nomial sum ($20 times the train
        level).

        --
        J C Lawrence They said, "You have a blue guitar,
        ---------(*) You do not play things as they are."