Re: [18xx] Help me pick which 18xx I should buy from Deep Thought Games

  • Robert Jasiek
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 1, 2009
      John A. Tamplin wrote:
      > Sure, there are things you can do with it if the SFTG/SFTN allow you to
      > not have a route early or if you can plunder SFLP/SFMA before SFLi forms
      > (but you could have done that with a better company and been in better
      > position just as easily),

      There are other strategies for Cuneo, where it is essential to use this
      company. E.g., in 3-player game, when you need to buy trains but do not
      have any spare place in your other companies - or when you are an
      opponent and need to prevent exactly that.

      > which means we are back to playing a diplomatic game

      I am not speaking about diplomacy strategies here.

      > rather than 18xx, where you try and convince them not to
      > waste a tempo or two to hurt you tremendously.

      Buying Cuneo in the hope of then getting a deal for connection is plain
      nonsense (unless you have something equal to offer, what is rather
      unlikely).

      > Setting up unstable positions where either a player gets a big advantage
      > or is totally screwed is not my idea of a good game mechanic.

      Therefore usually the Cuneo concession is not bought. (You speak as if
      it had to be bought by someone.)

      > Surely you do not argue that the v1 Cuneo is a better railroad than any
      > other one in the game?

      Chances that it becomes the best railroad are small. I have seen it
      though, when it was used as a bank for 2246 money so that another
      company would not be taken over.

      --
      robert jasiek
    • mightyrickempire
      Message 35 of 35 , May 1, 2009
        --- In 18xx@yahoogroups.com, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM, mightyrickempire
        > <rickcarson+yahoogroups@...> wrote:
        > > (2) it is much harder to block a company on the map from getting its initial
        > > route with evil tile placements
        >
        > Why? Is this actually because of something in the rules, or is it
        > actually a product of the map design?

        It is a product of the rules. If you are blocked from making your first two length route by yellow track you can use a green (or brown) tile to get out even before the green (or brown) tiles are normally available.

        > 18VA and 18US also make similar distinctions between cargo and
        > passenger trains. The supply and demand aspect of passenger trains
        > reminds me of the E trains from 1826, except in reverse; those get
        > better as more are bought, simulating the increasing level of
        > infrastructure for electric trains, until a TGV is bought and the E
        > trains are suddenly no longer the state of the art.

        Indeed.