1870: Token at destination

  • jermey.vipperman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
      Rules question about company placing a token at its destination before
      its destination run.

      Situation: GMO has two '3'-trains and it has just play track to get to
      St. Louis(its destination). Now, the GMO wants to play its $40 token in
      St. Louis to run one 3-train from St. Louis to Chicago (via Springfield
      Ill.) while its other 3-train runs from St. Louis-Jackson-Mobile to
      improve its normal run before doing the destination run.

      Question: If it places its $40 token in St. Louis before it does its
      destination run, can this $40 token be switched for a destination token
      (which would double St. Louis) and GMO get its $40 token back. Or is
      the GMO prevented from placing its destination token in St. Louis (thus
      losing the doubling benefit).
    • John Puddifoot
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2009
        Your question caused me to pull out the rules, as I had not encountered it
        before.

        From Page 23 of the rules:

        "If the company has already placed a station marker at the destination, the
        destination station marker becomes an additional $100 station marker."

        "The destination station marker doubles the value of the destination city
        for that company."

        Thus in your example the GMO would be prevented from placing its destination
        token in St. Louis, and, as the regular token is not a destination token,
        the regular token would not double the value of the city.

        The original intended effect of this rule was to prevent two tokens from
        appearing in St. Louis blocking the city, as the original rules the
        destination token did use a token space in the city if available. (If the
        city was already full, the destination token was "forced" in.) However in
        the final version of the rules, the destination tokens do not block a spot,
        but this rule remained.

        Hope this answers your question.

        John Puddifoot

        Original 1870 Rules co-author.

        _____

        Rules question about company placing a token at its destination before
        its destination run.

        Situation: GMO has two '3'-trains and it has just play track to get to
        St. Louis(its destination). Now, the GMO wants to play its $40 token in
        St. Louis to run one 3-train from St. Louis to Chicago (via Springfield
        Ill.) while its other 3-train runs from St. Louis-Jackson-Mobile to
        improve its normal run before doing the destination run.

        Question: If it places its $40 token in St. Louis before it does its
        destination run, can this $40 token be switched for a destination token
        (which would double St. Louis) and GMO get its $40 token back. Or is
        the GMO prevented from placing its destination token in St. Louis (thus
        losing the doubling benefit).

        Messages
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/message/23242;_ylc=X3oDMTM1YjkxOGM5BF9TA
        zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEbXNnSWQDMjMyNDIEc2VjA
        2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjMwODc5NjgzBHRwY0lkAzIzMjQy> in this topic (1)
        E0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEbXNnSWQDMjMyNDIEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbG
        sDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjMwODc5Njgz?act=reply&messageNum=23242> Reply (via web
        post) | Start
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkYXZoYnU3BF9TAzk3MzU5Nz
        E0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQ
        MxMjMwODc5Njgz> a new topic

        Messages
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMmw4aGw5BF9TAzk3Mz
        U5NzE0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbXNncwRzdG
        ltZQMxMjMwODc5Njgz> | Files
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbGRldmM5BF9TAzk3MzU5N
        zE0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZmlsZXMEc3Rpb
        WUDMTIzMDg3OTY4Mw--> | Photos
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcXZ1bXQ4BF9TAzk3MzU5
        NzE0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcGhvdARzdGlt
        ZQMxMjMwODc5Njgz> | Links
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZmhtMzRjBF9TAzk3MzU5N
        zE0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbGlua3MEc3Rpb
        WUDMTIzMDg3OTY4Mw--> | Database
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJicjU2NmYxBF9TAzk3Mz
        U5NzE0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZGIEc3RpbW
        UDMTIzMDg3OTY4Mw--> | Polls
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZ21obGJ0BF9TAzk3MzU5N
        zE0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcG9sbHMEc3Rpb
        WUDMTIzMDg3OTY4Mw--> | Members
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJkYjRsdHB2BF9TAzk3MzU
        5NzE0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbWJycwRzdGl
        tZQMxMjMwODc5Njgz>

        This is a message from the 18xx mailing list.

        MARKETPLACE

        _____

        From
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13rnqkv9r/M=493064.12016295.13271503.10835568/D
        =groups/S=1705052896:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1230886883/L=/B=41jFaELaX9E-/J=1230879
        683891870/A=5530388/R=0/SIG=11nuutlas/*http:/explore.yahoo.com/groups/kraftm
        ealsmadesimple/> kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft
        Foods

        TgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZ2ZwBHN0aW1lAzEyMzA4Nzk2ODM->
        Yahoo! Groups
        Change
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaGRhYnNjBF9TAzk3MzU5Nz
        E0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDc3RuZ3MEc3RpbW
        UDMTIzMDg3OTY4Mw--> settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
        Change settings via email: Switch
        <mailto:18xx-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
        delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
        <mailto:18xx-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:
        %20Traditional> format to Traditional
        Visit
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx;_ylc=X3oDMTJjdW1zczRqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGd
        ycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDaHBmBHN0aW1lAzEyMzA
        4Nzk2ODM-> Your Group | Yahoo! Groups <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
        Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
        <mailto:18xx-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=>

        Recent Activity

        * 5

        New
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbDFpanVqBF9TAzk3MzU
        5NzE0BGdycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdm1icnMEc3R
        pbWUDMTIzMDg3OTY4Mw--> Members

        Visit
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18xx;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbG1vbzUyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGd
        ycElkAzExOTgyOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNTI4OTYEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMjM
        wODc5Njgz> Your Group

        Y! Groups blog

        The
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oje5og0/M=493064.12016258.12582637.8674578/D=
        groups/S=1705052896:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1230886883/L=/B=5FjFaELaX9E-/J=1230879683
        891870/A=5191953/R=0/SIG=112mhte3e/*http:/www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/> place
        to go

        to stay informed

        on Groups news!

        Group Charity

        City
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oo9e9v4/M=493064.12016306.12445698.8674578/D=
        groups/S=1705052896:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1230886883/L=/B=5VjFaELaX9E-/J=1230879683
        891870/A=5579908/R=0/SIG=10qvssvds/*http:/www.cityyear.org/> Year

        Young people who

        change the world

        New business?

        Get
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13o7i36i3/M=493064.12016308.12445700.8674578/D=
        groups/S=1705052896:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1230886883/L=/B=5ljFaELaX9E-/J=1230879683
        891870/A=3848640/R=0/SIG=131an6mds/*http:/searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/srch
        v2.php?o=US2002&cmp=Yahoo&ctv=Groups1&s=Y&s2=&s3=&b=50> new customers.

        List your web site

        in Yahoo! Search.

      • willette
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2009
          Just got 1846. The rulebook inventory shows 56 wooden tokens. I have 54
          (42 included with the corporate stocks). I can't think of anything missing.
          I suspect it's an error in the rulebook, but wanted to verify.

          Joe Willette

        • Jonathan Flagg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
            I suggest you make a printed inventory of the single and double-sided
            tokens to make sure you have everything you are supposed to have. I
            received my copy of 1846 fully assembled. I suspect you did not
            order your copy in the same way as I did. I suppose if you want all
            of the tokens to be single sided you can purchase extras at an art
            supply store although they will not be exact replicas of the tokens
            in the game. However they should be good enough for playing.

            Jonathan Flagg

            --- In 18xx@yahoogroups.com, "willette" <willette@...> wrote:

            > Just got 1846. The rulebook inventory shows 56 wooden tokens. I
            have 54
            > (42 included with the corporate stocks). I can't think of anything
            missing.
            > I suspect it's an error in the rulebook, but wanted to verify.
            >

            > Joe Willette

          • willette
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
              I bought mine Ready To Play as well. Waited nearly a year!

              My tokens are:

              With Corps:

              6 NYC

              6 IC

              6 C&O

              7 Penn RR

              6 Erie

              6 B&O

              5 Grand Trunk

              1 Phase marker

              1 Round Marker

              2 $30 token

              Double Sides:

              1 IC/Erie

              1 IC/Penn

              1 NYC/Erie

              1 Penn/Grand Trunk

              1 B&O/NYC

              1Grand Trunk/Big 4

              1 C&O/B&O

              1 C&O/MS

              This adds up to 54 wooden tokens. The rulebook says there are 56 tokens.
              I'd just like to understand the discrepancy. Perhaps the rulebook is in
              error or maybe I am missing two?

              Thanks, Joe Willette

              _____

              --- In 18xx@yahoogroups. <mailto:18xx%40yahoogroups.com> com, "willette"
              <willette@...> wrote:

              > Just got 1846. The rulebook inventory shows 56 wooden tokens. I
              have 54
              > (42 included with the corporate stocks). I can't think of anything
              missing.
              > I suspect it's an error in the rulebook, but wanted to verify.
              >

              > Joe Willette

            • Lou Jerkich
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
                Joe,

                The correct number is indeed 56 tokens. You appear to be missing two
                tokens that I have in my 1846 set. Both tokens are the $20 tokens used for
                the Steamboat Company which is a private company discussed at the bottom of
                page 2 and the top of page 3 in the rules. The tokens each have an anchor
                symbol above which is printed "$20 x".

                My set is otherwise identical to yours with the exception that my Big 4
                token has the C&O on the reverse, and the MS has the GT on the reverse.
                That shouldn't make a difference in play.

                On any occasion in which I've had a missing component and reported it, John
                Tamplin quickly sent me the missing item. Let him know.

                --Lou Jerkich

              • willette
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
                  Thanks Lou! Joe