Re: [18xx] 1830 PC game

  • James Blight
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
      As Mr Coyne said, expanding the game can lead to bigger and better wins.
      The other thing to remember is: the "AI" computer player isn't adept at adapting to different(random) maps, where you are smart (all 18XX players are, right ;-) enough to change strategies when needed.

      -Jim B

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
        Jim Blight wrote:

        > As Mr Coyne said, expanding the game can lead to bigger and better wins.
        > The other thing to remember is: the "AI" computer player isn't adept at
        > adapting
        > to different(random) maps, where you are smart (all 18XX players are,
        > right ;-)
        > enough to change strategies when needed.

        It's worse than that. The score you get is dependent on your value at the
        end of the game, rather than on your proportion of the total assets. It is
        therefore poorly correlated with your actual level of success by any sane
        measure. To get a large score you need to manoeuvre yourself into a
        position where you have a large proportion of the shares and as many trains
        as possible in the companies you have shares in, and the bank is almost
        broken going into a stock round. Getting to more or less the same state
        with the bank just broken will lead to a much lower score. There's a degree
        of skill in achieving high scores, but it isn't the same sort of skill that
        leads to victory against sensible opponents.

        --
        Steve Thomas maisnestce@b...
      • Tommy Theys
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
          As someone who has yet to play a 18xx game and wants to learn how, a PC game might be a perfect way to learn. Are there any free ones out there? Or what ones are available? What would one recommend?

          Thanks!
        • Steve Thomas
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2008
            Tommy Theys wrote:

            > As someone who has yet to play a 18xx game and wants to learn how,
            > a PC game might be a perfect way to learn. Are there any free ones out
            > there? Or what ones are available? What would one recommend?

            The only one there's ever been is 1830, by Avalon Hill. It's long out of
            print, but now available on download from some of the abandonware sites. It
            is sometimes slightly tricky to get going on versions of Windows newer than
            3.11, but a search through the group archives will usually find the right
            magic words. It plays rather badly, though to compensate if you play
            against multiple AI opponents they'll gang up on you.

            If you want to learn about other 18xx titles, the only routes are PBM, PBeM,
            or face to face, either at conventions or local groups.

            --
            Steve Thomas maisnestce@b...