Re: [18xx] Re: Tournament player behaviors

  • Maisnestce@aol.com
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 1, 2005
      David Hecht wrote:

      > So I'd be happy with that, I think. Wen Steve tried that approach at ExxCon
      >
      > II, it worked out pretty much that way: the weakest players in the field
      > tended to be in the "non-tournament" ladder.

      One of the features of ExxCon II was that, for the first game of each day,
      the title and player groupings were decided by the TD, not so much to deter
      bunny hunters as to ensure that each player played at least a dozen other players
      during the tournament. (After the first game, it was a complete free for all,
      though in practice early groupings tended to linger throughout the day.)
      It's known that players prefer playing some titles more than others so, well
      before the tournament, I asked everyone which titles they liked and which they
      didn't, stating publicly that I wouldn't make anyone play a game they disliked.

      That's where paranoia set in. Several players claimed that the only purpose
      I had in gathering this data was to enable me to make everyone play games they
      didn't like. Others claimed that my making them play even their favourite
      game was an infringement of their civil liberties, or something. Members of
      both classes claimed they wouldn't attend if my draconian measures were applied
      to them. So, perforce, I divided the field into two groups. I did a bit of
      arm-twisting to get most of the better players in the "quality" group, though
      there were two or three that really belonged there who insisted on playing their
      first games of the day amongst the dross. One of them scored enough that
      he'd have won the whole shebang had he been allowed to.

      At ExxCon III, everyone saw that I had not, in practice, set everyone to play
      games they disliked, and everyone played in one group. The better players
      floated to the top anyway.

      Steve Thomas maisnestce@a...

    • David G.D. Hecht
      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 2, 2005