Re: [18xx] Ramdencon and 1860 (IOW) progress

  • Maisnestce@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      In a message dated 31/01/04 19:01:35 GMT Standard Time, Mike.Hutton@u...
      writes:

      > Is anyone here going to Ramsdencon this year? It'll be held at the
      > Ramsden School (halfway between Wickford and Billericay) on 19th-22nd
      > February. It's not usually very heavy on 18xx,

      The last time I went to RamsdenCon I started playing the then-new 1826. The
      game was about a third of the way through when one of the organisers claimed
      that we were in the way of something they'd organised, and would we please move
      soon. There was no other unused table large enough to hold 1826, we promised
      to move as soon as we finished, and kept playing. About half way through, we
      got kicked out. The notice informing us of the event (some silly live-action
      role-playing) was on "display" in a drawer--not the bottom drawer of a locked
      filing cabinet behind a door marked "beware of the leopard", but close enough
      for all practical purposes.

      This sort of experience was not unusual. Have things improved?

      Steve Thomas maisnestce@a...

    • Mike Hutton
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
        --- In 18xx@yahoogroups.com, Maisnestce@a... wrote:
        Mike.Hutton@u...
        > writes:
        >
        > > Is anyone here going to Ramsdencon this year? It'll be held at
        the
        > > Ramsden School (halfway between Wickford and Billericay) on 19th-
        22nd
        > > February. It's not usually very heavy on 18xx,
        >
        > The last time I went to RamsdenCon I started playing the then-new
        1826. The
        > game was about a third of the way through when one of the
        organisers claimed
        > that we were in the way of something they'd organised, and would we
        please move
        > soon. There was no other unused table large enough to hold 1826,
        we promised
        > to move as soon as we finished, and kept playing. About half way
        through, we
        > got kicked out. The notice informing us of the event (some silly
        live-action
        > role-playing) was on "display" in a drawer--not the bottom drawer
        of a locked
        > filing cabinet behind a door marked "beware of the leopard", but
        close enough
        > for all practical purposes.
        >
        > This sort of experience was not unusual. Have things improved?

        When were you last there? I've been the last couple of years, and
        both times everything has gone without a glitch.

        The "live-action roleplay" event is an annual event, and is fairly
        well advertised now as being held in the Library. Earlier in the day
        the Library has tended to be used for playtesting Reiner Knizia's
        games. I tend to avoid the library...

        So I've not had any sort of problems like this, but most 18xx games
        (particularly Friday and Saturday night ones) are held in one of the
        smaller side rooms, as stuff like quizzes, auctions, and "happenings"
        tend to happen in the main hall.

        I usually check to make sure a room/bit of hall aren't booked before
        nabbing it to start 18xx. I am a little surprised you had the problem
        you described above.

        Mike.
      • Maisnestce@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
          In a message dated 03/02/04 19:10:28 GMT Standard Time, Mike.Hutton@u...
          writes:

          > When were you last there? I've been the last couple of years, and
          > both times everything has gone without a glitch.

          Must have been about 4 years ago. And we were in one of the side rooms.

          Steve Thomas maisnestce@a...