Presentation on British Military Musicians

  • Sherri Rapp
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2011
      Greetings!

      This is to bring your attention to my presentation entitled "British Military Musicians". It includes contemporary images and surviving clothing and equipment of drummers, fifers, pipers, horns-men, and bands of music from about the 1760s to 1790s. A few slides are as yet unfinished, but will be completed within the next few weeks. Additional artwork and extant items like drums, clothing, etc., will be added in the coming weeks and months. Please leave feedback if you are so inclined. This will be an ongoing effort to present artwork from that period, and it is intended to be a learning experience for me and all who view it. Enjoy!

      http://www.scribd.com/doc/67967296/British-Military-Musicians-Rev-1

      Cheers!
      Sherri Rapp
    • richard ruquist
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
        All of us on these lists will certainly be interested.

        Richard

      • fifemajor22@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
          This is a marvelous presentation that will help document musician's uniforms and equipment.

          Thank you Sherri for sharing it.

          Gary Vorwald
          Fife Major
          22nd Regiment of Foot

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
            Rich, Gary,

            Thank you very much! I've had to make a small but important change already. However, omething went wrong with the update that I attempted to upload and the presentation got corrupted. Here is the new link:

            http://www.scribd.com/doc/68027364/British-Military-Musicians-Rev-1

            Cheers!
            Sherri
          • Jim Murphy
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
              Nice Job Sherri.

              Thanks for compiling this for us. I must say you had a very impressive contributors list, most of them reenactors I might add.

              Jim Murphy
              9th Foot

              Message 6 of 10 , May 26, 2012

                Gary,

                   I hope the winter has been well and find you looking forward to another exciting seasons of heat and music! I hope to see you at Rockford and I will be there, at Ft Frederick for the BAR as well as Gelston Castle personally. I will confess that I am not one who ever got onto the musicians lists I am certain are out there, but I wanted to touch base with you in advance. I thought we got some good work together in at Wyoming Valley and hope to build on that. I have command for the Brigade Music for Rockford by the way...though I do not yet know what the plan for Gelston is. If you are going to be at Rockford just let me know what time you are planning on getting in so I know if I can expect your assistance with Reveille on Sat morning at 8:00 (the Brigade has it set for 8:00 each morning btw). It looks like the 23rd has a fifer now who has some considerable experience from the Civil War side and just needs to get out book down btw.

                Joseph Siegel

              • Jim Murphy
                Message 7 of 10 , May 26, 2012

                  Does this mean Joseph Siegel is now on the 18th Century Music list? I know he has been named drum Major for the British Brigade from the BB website. Gary are you still the fife Major for the BAR? I'm a little confused on who is what with who in the music area and the umbrella groups. Who is in charge on the American side?
                  We have a new fifer with the 9th Foot, I sometimes drum for the 9th as well as act as Adjutant. The 9th will be at Rock Ford on Friday evening.

                  Jim Murphy

[...]

                • Wayne Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 26, 2012
                    Joe, this is Wayne Mitchell from the 27th Inniskilling, I hope to see you at fort #4 this up coming weekend, for the F&I weekend. sincerly Wayne

                    To: 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com
                    From: irishbrit1777@...
                    Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 16:25:24 -0400
                    Subject: Re: [18cMusic] The coming season

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 12, 2013

                      Gary,

                          FYI I have been nominated the Full Drum Major for the British Brigade. I guess we can start to colaborate from both ends fully now in a more official capacity.

                      Joe Siegel

                      Drum Major 23rd RWFiA

                      Drum Major British Brigade

                    • Wayne Mitchell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 12, 2013
                        Joe congratulations! on your appointment! Wayne mitchell

                        To: 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com