SEMPER PARATUS 221 YEARS

  • Glenn Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 6:40 AM
      Dear Friends and fellow Historians,

      Please join me, a retired Army guy, in wishing tall current active, reserve, retired and other alumni members of our sister service, the U.S. Coast Guard, on the 221st anniversary of its founding!

      On 4 August 1790, Congress enacted the law that authorized the construction of ten cutters to enforce the tariff and maritime law, prevent smuggling, and protect national sovereignty.

      From its beginnings as the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service, it was the only federal armed force afloat the new republic had after it began operating under the U.S. Constitution until the establishment of the U.S. Navy in 1798.  The USRCS was later combined with the U.S. Life Saving Service to become the U.S. Coast Guard, and has since absorbed the the U.S. Lighthouse Service and the U.S. Bureau of Marine Inspection and Navigation.  The Coast Guard has a proud tradition of professionalism and service to the nation.

      Semper Paratus!  "Always Ready!"

      Best regards,

      Glenn.