Re: Repro Drum Sources / Examples of period snare drum strainers

  • nmenthompson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2011
      Follow-Up:

      Thanks for the info both online and offline.

      The Eames drum is back in use with new strainer (thanks Will), linen rope, new ears and freshly painted hoops. I did decide to go with fyberskyn heads on this one as it is not for me and I will not be maintaining it. I do have other drums that I have skin heads on which is my preference.

      Best,
      Micahel Thompson
      2nd Mass Reg

    • fiero88gt2002@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2011
        While on the subject of drums I'm going to be looking for a snare drum for my grandson to play as a Spanish soldier Rev war
        Any ideals who sells snares and there price range
        Thanks
        Frank Velez
        Regimento Principa

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: "nmenthompson" <nmenthompson@...>
        Sender: 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 23:41:18 -0000
        To: <18cMusic@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [18cMusic] Re: Repro Drum Sources / Examples of period snare drum strainers

        Follow-Up:

        Thanks for the info both online and offline.

        The Eames drum is back in use with new strainer (thanks Will), linen rope, new ears and freshly painted hoops. I did decide to go with fyberskyn heads on this one as it is not for me and I will not be maintaining it. I do have other drums that I have skin heads on which is my preference.

        Best,
        Micahel Thompson
        2nd Mass Reg

        --- In 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com, "whc303" <whchappelle@...> wrote:

        > I have a couple strainers very close to this original:
        >
        > http://www.fielddrums.com/uploaded_images/saiten_schloss-711686.jpg
        >
        > The ones I have are made of brass, not iron like the originals.
        >
        > Email me at whchappelle@... if you are interested.
        >
        > Also with the strainers, most American drums didn't have them. The gut was just held down by the hoops. European drums are the only drums documented to be from this period that had strainers.
        >
        > You should consider using calfskin instead of fiberskyn. Flesh hoops are available from Cooperman for $8. You can get a 22" or 26" piece of calfskin from www.activemusician.com for under $25. I recommend the thin size. They are a good thickness for batter heads. Thin is a relative term.
        >
        > I also have some very think slunk (stillborn calf) skins good for snare side.
        >
        > Not sure exactly how much fiberskyns run these days, but the price for the real calfskin is probably about the same. You can reuse the flesh hoops then every time you replace the head it's only about $20-$25.
        > --- In 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com, "nmenthompson" <nmenthompson@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I have a couple of questions for the list. I have 2 repro drums that I am looking to get back into working condition.
        > >
        > > 1. 1976 Eames drum. I need a snare strainer for it. Does anyone have pictures of period strainers. I am assuming a J hook, have seen a few different repo versions. Would like to see pics of any originals.
        > >
        > > Does anyone know other sources for J hook strainer besides Copperman?
        > >
        > > 2. Unknown maker. needs complete make over - only ropes and ears are salvedgable. The shell has a crack that should be repairable.
        > >
        > > Replacement parts from Cooperman and fyberskin heads would bring the material cost to around $250.
        > >
        > > I'm trying to determine if the it is worth the cost or if I should look at putting the money towards a new or used drum in better condition.
        > >
        > > This brings me to looking for sources for drums and approximate costs.
        > >
        > > I have seen Military Heritage Drums
        > > http://www.militaryheritage.com/drums.htm
        > >
        > > and Heritage Drum Comany
        > > http://ropedrum.otbrass.com/