Ruffle

  • Ross Flowers
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2008
      Does anyone know what a ruffle on the drum is and how it is different
      than a roll?

      Thanks

      Ross
    • toddstaxi@att.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
        Drum Major Flowers,
            Good Day.  I believe that the term 'ruffle' is an older and/or another name for a 'ruff/rough'.  Please do not quote me on this, that is off the top of my head. I will have to do some research on this.
            Mayhaps, I'll see you and IMUC at Plattsburgh, NY, this year?  Aloha.
        YH&OS,
        Todd E., Drummer, 1st Coy., 1/III
        The Buffs--American Contingent--
        -------------- Original message from "Ross Flowers" <drums1812@...>: --------------

        Does anyone know what a ruffle on the drum is and how it is different
        than a roll?

        Thanks

        Ross

      • Eric Wallace
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
              I've taken ruffle to mean a short roll, 5 or 7 strokes.

                      “…will cause the firing to cease by a ruffle or short roll of the drum;” (Smyth, 1812, pg103)

              Eric

          To: 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com
          From: drums1812@...
          Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:45:52 +0000
          Subject: [18cMusic] Ruffle

          Does anyone know what a ruffle on the drum is and how it is different
          than a roll?

          Thanks

          Ross

          Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start here.