Nathan Hale Ancient Fifes and Drums Muster

  • Irishbrit
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
      Here is a posting from the Company of Fifers and Drummers site. We are
      holding the muster in a new location nearby the Nathan Hale Homestead
      (within walking distance) after a year of layoff. The Nathan Hale
      Homestead is hosting their own skirmish this year on Saturday and
      Sunday the 22nd and 23rd of July. The music muster is on Sunday the
      23rd down the road in the same area. The Nathan Hale muster is back!

      July 23, 2006 - Coventry, Ct
      Nathan Hale Muster 2006

      Nathan Hale Ancient Fifes & Drums
      Nineteenth Annual Muster
      Sunday, July 23, 2006
      Strong Porter House on South Street, Coventry, CT, just west of the
      Nathan Hale Homestead.
      By Invitation only

      Contact Bob Castillo, Muster Committee
      CtConnection01@...
    • richard ruquist

        Sunday, July 23, 2006

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • DOC2PPR@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
          In a message dated 6/3/2006 8:51:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, yanniru@... writes:
          Manasas, the Battle of Bull Run, its 145th anniversary and the only national Civil War reenactment held on the original battlefield is the same weekend as the Nathan hale muster and the Trooper muster.
          actually the Manassas reenactment is being held on the Cedar Creek Battlefield
          some what of a ride from the Original Manassas Battlefield

          J korber

          America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
          Abraham Lincoln
        • Irishbrit
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
            Tell me about it (the reenactment of Manassas) I could have gone
            with my CW unit, however sometimes you have to make difficult
            choices in this hobby. Anyway this is an 18th Century list is it
            not? We don't want to hear about the CW! ;-D

            Jim Murphy

            --- In 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com, DOC2PPR@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 6/3/2006 8:51:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > yanniru@... writes:
            >
            > Manasas, the Battle of Bull Run, its 145th anniversary and the
            only national
            > Civil War reenactment held on the original battlefield is the
            same weekend
            > as the Nathan hale muster and the Trooper muster.
            >

            > actually the Manassas reenactment is being held on the Cedar
            Creek
            > Battlefield
            > some what of a ride from the Original Manassas Battlefield
            >
            > J korber
            >
            > America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter
            and lose our
            > freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
            > Abraham Lincoln

          • richard ruquist
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
              We don't want to hear about the CW! ;-D....OK. Then I cannot tell you about it.

              Irishbrit <irishbrit@...> wrote:
              Tell me about it (the reenactment of Manassas) I could have gone
              with my CW unit, however sometimes you have to make difficult
              choices in this hobby. Anyway this is an 18th Century list is it
              not? We don't want to hear about the CW! ;-D

              Jim Murphy

              --- In 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com, DOC2PPR@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 6/3/2006 8:51:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > yanniru@... writes:
              >
              > Manasas,  the Battle of Bull Run, its 145th anniversary and the
              only national
              > Civil War  reenactment held on the original battlefield is the
              same weekend
              > as the Nathan  hale muster and the Trooper muster.
              >

              > actually the Manassas reenactment is being held on the Cedar
              Creek
              > Battlefield
              > some what of a ride from the Original Manassas Battlefield

              > J korber

              > America  will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter
              and lose our
              > freedoms, it  will be because we destroyed ourselves.
              > Abraham  Lincoln

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • JOEWHITNEY@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
                Genericly speaking, this subject can be of interest to this list.

                The last time the reenactment of First Manassas was held on the
                original battlefield was in 1961, during the Centennial of the Civil
                War. Like most major battlefields of the Rev and Civ wars not yet paved
                over, the land is owned by us, but controlled by the National Park
                Service. After the reenactment, and similar ones in places like Shiloh,
                the Park Service was appalled at what they viewed as damage to the land
                by the reenactors and public, especially digging for fire pits in a
                sensitive achaeological site (and some reenactors couldn't resist doing
                a little digging on their own). Also, some voiced concerns that people
                staging a "farce battle" on the hallowed ground where men actually died
                was disrespectful to them. In addition, the Park Service had concerns
                about black powder and sharp weapons, and the liability inherent in
                events using them.

                Consequently, the Park Service adopted a policy of not allowing any
                battle renactments on Park Service property nationwide, including Rev
                War sites such as Yorktown, a ban which exists to this day. In response
                to the demand by the public for reenactors, many sites now allow black
                powder firing and the wearing of edged weapons, but not pointed at
                other people, and with no opposing sides.

                The other reason reenactments aren't held on original battlefields is
                the presence of many large monuments can be anachronistic to
                reenactors, who generally prefer an authentic appearance to an
                authentic location.

                The reenactment of First Manassas (called Bull Run by you yankee
                scalawags) at Cedar Creek is allowed because like the Rev War
                battlefield of Monmouth, it is not Federal property. In fact, the Cedar
                Creek Foundation had worked out a plan to transfer over the land to the
                Park Service, but reenactors objected, especially since it was the
                money from the annual reenactments that have basically purchased the
                battlefield from the private owners, and preserved it. An arrangement
                was to be made for the Federal government to allow reenactments, but
                then the whole deal fell apart, because the issue of reenactments made
                the Foundation realize they would lose much control over the use of the
                land.

                Eventually it will probably become a state park, like Monmouth is. In
                the mean time, the annual Cedar Creek reenactment in October is the
                only national event I can think of that actually occurs on the original
                land. The only Rev War reenactment I could find on Google that takes
                place on the original land is the Battle of Beckhamville, SC.
              • Philip Keyes